Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Still don't know if he was taken off/out of rotation in the second half or just went missing.

He was racking them and doing very good things in the first half.
79% time on ground.

Finding it hard to find stats on the game. The match report will quote stats (mainly Bont's) but can't find player stats for Friday night. Help!
AFL app has the stats, but I can’t find a heat map. Judging by the eye, he didn't attend as many centre clearances in the second half.

Last edited:

Where's Hayden at mate?

Any news?
FB info is saying 2nd or 3rd round ready. Expect to see him in full training some time in March. The word I have got his fitness is not a problem and scans show he's tracking 8 or more weeks in front of where he's expected to be. Saw photos of him after the break and he is fully ripped. That's as much as I know.
He'll be a hungry mutt when he gets back for sure.
On the tagging subject, the kid showed real potential against Pendle's last season, for Shaw to start the kid on field against an A grader was a risk, but I thought it paid of for a while there. Finally a coach who takes risks, looking forward to what he does this year.

Simpkin needs to find a way to be more damaging with his disposal, especially by foot. He has elite vision and is a beautiful kick but too often he misses those risky kicks, he also tends to bomb it inside 50 a bit.

And hacks it out of the contest Peak JZ style. Reckon he just needs games to settle. Very confident that he’ll be a gun mid.

Early days I thought he wasn’t going to get enough footy as a mid, but his class was obvious. Honestly I was worried we had another Harper situation.

Now he’s showing that he can get the footy but the class hasn’t been there. He looks rushed.

IMO that’s a good thing because the class is natural, finding the footy is the hard part.

He has got better and better each year. Let’s just see where that upward trajectory lands and assess from there. I would say pretty much every area of his game has got better each year. I’m not sure we can ask for more than that.
Personally I think Simpkin, Thomas and LDU are the key to our success going forward. They’re potentially the 3 mids with different attributes that can take us deep into September in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor kid turns 21 looking like that, probably still never had a girlfriend.

I know right, and he's got that super hot housemate who goes everywhere with him too, just to make it worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back