Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

So we pull one gif out to smash someone who had 18 other pressure acts? Give it a rest
It's hardly "smashing" someone saying a senior player could do better defensively.

18 pressure acts in a 128 point belting - meh.

Repeat efforts should be number 1 on Noble's non negotiables at this point in time.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Your a harsh judge
What was it, 12 goals in a row?
You ever played a game of anything when you are in a hiding like that?
Been on tennis courts and Football fields over my time and when you’re getting crushed like that it’s like running in quicksand
If Jy wants to lead this club to a flag then he can't do that s**t.

He had a chance to put pressure on Smith, possibly cause a turn over and maybe it would have led to a goal. That sort of thing is inspirational leadership. It might not have sparked a winning comeback but it would have put some steel in our spines. I trust that he is the sort of player who will learn from that if someone points it out tho.

Mate I played at Nimbin when it all fell apart. I'm not gonna tell you how bad things got there but I never stopped running. Even when my legs were ****ed. I was in my 40s and chased down campaigners half my age when we were 25 goals down and no one else gave a *. And yeah it sucks. its is immensely demoralising. The only thing worse is knowing you gave up in that situation.

When I was younger I played in a game where we were 10 goals down in the last 2 minutes and my opponent (we were on the wing) was 20 m clear cos I got sucked into a contest and he's run into an open forward line to get on the end of a goal. But he didn't get it cos I made sure I got there, he even commented on it after the game wtte of "any other campaigner but you and I'd have got that goal."

He had a brilliant pre-season and looks a million bucks physically.

Stats look fine but he is very out of form.

Looks frustrated.....the Dogs literally ran rings around him.

Remember when Luke McDonald tore his leg off the bone chasing down Cyril Rioli?

No a good look but don’t know if he was out on his feet.
Could probably find these instances for any player
That's true but this is exactly what we mean by "on field leadership".

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

So we pull one gif out to smash someone who had 18 other pressure acts?
How about going back and getting the 18 pressure gifs?
And while we are at it let’s get all the gifs where JZ went to ground or the other Senior cats did nothing!
He is sposed to be our future captain.

If it was me at the club I'd be showing him this video and then letting him respond and then saying exactly what archereleven typed just upthread. I wouldn't yell or anything, cos it speaks for itself. But i'd tell him I believe he is better than that and if he wants to look back on his careeer with pride he'll never let that happen again. And that I genuinely trust that that will be how he responds.

Everyone *s up, if you care you will learn from it and be better next time.

If Jy wants to lead this club to a flag then he can't do that sh*t.

He had a chance to put pressure on Smith, possibly cause a turn over and maybe it would have led to a goal. That sort of thing is inspirational leadership. It might not have sparked a winning comeback but it would have put some steel in our spines. I trust that he is the sort of player who will learn from that if someone points it out tho.

Mate I played at Nimbin when it all fell apart. I'm not gonna tell you how bad things got there but I never stopped running. Even when my legs were f’ed. I was in my 40s and chased down campaigners half my age when we were 25 goals down and no one else gave a fu**. And yeah it sucks. its is immensely demoralising. The only thing worse is knowing you gave up in that situation.

When I was younger I played in a game where we were 10 goals down in the last 2 minutes and my opponent (we were on the wing) was 20 m clear cos I got sucked into a contest and he's run into an open forward line to get on the end of a goal. But he didn't get it cos I made sure I got there, he even commented on it after the game wtte of "any other campaigner but you and I'd have got that goal."
He is sposed to be our future captain.

If it was me at the club I'd be showing him this video and then letting him respond and then saying exactly what archereleven typed just upthread. I wouldn't yell or anything, cos it speaks for itself. But i'd tell him I believe he is better than that and if he wants to look back on his careeer with pride he'll never let that happen again. And that I genuinely trust that that will be how he responds.

Everyone fu**s up, if you care you will learn from it and be better next time.
...just in case email the GIF in.

And then look for whose next on your list of s**t efforts and post those into the players threads? Or you just got this one?

Your a harsh judge
What was it, 12 goals in a row?
Been on tennis courts and Football fields over my time and when you’re getting crushed like that it’s like running in quicksand

Sounds like you had an unsuccessful sporting career 😏

...just in case email the GIF in.

And then look for whose next on your list of sh*t efforts and post those into the players threads? Or you just got this one?
Just this one. I hate potting players.

Nonetheless I actually posted about on the game day thread and I never do that, because it pissed me off so much.

I don't care about other players s**t efforts. Look at my avatar!! I expect more from him, especially this year and doubly especially if he wants to lead us to number 5. Because that is what it will take. It isn't just gonna happen. If we want a flag we need to take it and we take it by making those moments ours, not backing away from them cos its all going to s**t.

Just this one. I hate potting players.

Nonetheless I actually posted about on the game day thread and I never do that, because it pissed me off so much.

I don't care about other players sh*t efforts. Look at my avatar!! I expect more from him, especially this year and doubly especially if he wants to lead us to number 5. Because that is what it will take. It isn't just gonna happen. If we want a flag we need to take it and we take it by making those moments ours, not backing away from them cos its all going to sh*t.
I just think it’s poor form to highlight one lousy clip in a 20 goal thumping as though efforts like that aren’t addressed.

If you haven’t watched Making Your Mark I suggest doing so to get some insight, and if you have I honestly have no idea why you’d be suggesting that the Game Review doesn’t pick up on the negatives of player performance

I just think it’s poor form to highlight one lousy clip in a 20 goal thumping.
Fair enough.

I'd normally never do it but to me that was an actual sliding doors moment from someone who I think should be better. In fact I know they can be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like you had an unsuccessful sporting career 😏
I've had moments of glory and moments of despair.

But it was never as successful as I'd hoped (and 10 years of footy in Nimbin in my 30s and 40s certainly took any shine off.)

I've played in flag winning sides too and coached a team of kids (u14) to an undeafeated season with an average winning margin of 20 goals. We lost our four best players by quarter time in the GF, every tall we had and still won by 10 goals.

I've had moments of glory and moments of despair.

But it was never as successful as I'd hoped (and 10 years of footy in Nimbin in my 30s and 40s certainly took any shine off.)

I've played in flag winning sides too and coached a team of kids (u14) to an undeafeated season with an average winning margin of 20 goals. We lost our four best players by quarter time in the GF, every tall we had and still won by 10 goals.

Good stuff but I was having laugh at Gaso

I think Leadership group responsibilities are affecting his game in a negative fashion.
Needs to follow the KISS principle for a bit I think. Less tickets spent dodging and weaving in traffic trying to wrestle the ball forward himself, more hard running in space.

IMO a lot of his stats aren't awful (arguably the opposite in fact), but the impact he's getting from them is pretty negligible. Too many clangers, not enough meters gained. Defensive work is lacking too.

A lot of confounding factors. Different role(s), leadership responsibilities, playing in some thrashings, dysfunctional forward line, etc etc. The eye test says he simply isn't running hard enough, often enough. I don't think he's having a bad season, but it's also not a fantastic one.

Jy being defensively lax isn’t a new thing.

Last year he got caught out ball watching far more often than he should. When the ball is on the inside he provides a bit of pressure (which shows in his pressure acts) but he is a poor defensive runner.

LDU and Jy too often spectate when the opposition win The centre clearances. I’m not sure it can be fixed with structures ect as they are both naturally offensive players.

With Cunners back, his future replacement Will Phillips now in the team, and Jed as starting centre square mid's, i would like Jy, LDU, and Powell to be 1st receivers, and not trying to win the ball, at centre bounces especially, this would allow them to focus more on defensive moves should we not win the clearance initially.

With Cunners back, his future replacement Will Phillips now in the team, and Jed as starting centre square mid's, i would like Jy, LDU, and Powell to be 1st receivers, and not trying to win the ball, at centre bounces especially, this would allow them to focus more on defensive moves should we not win the clearance initially.

I agree with this sentiment but one of the problems in executing it is that Jed does not do anywhere near enough of the coal face work and is far too often the receiver that dumps a s**t kick forward. For all his great work and competitiveness Jed needs to swallow his ego, accept that his disposal is too poor to play the outside role, and get to work at the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back