Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he looked frustrated early and was out of sorts. Once he got a few touches and some confidence then bang. Dominated for the rest of the game. Awesome work Jy. Can see the future of the club will be in good hands.

What a game. Really tough all game
If you can't see that this is the bloke that's going to lead us to the promised land and be a genuinely elite mid as he does so, then I don't know what to tell you. Leadership, toughness, skill. This bloke has it all.
Tom Phillips is still picking his rib bones out of his teeth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jy, mate, i love you, but apart from myself, and a few posters here, i can guarantee that 17 other club's opposition scouts know that your go to move of the sidestep/balk/dance move is a 99% chance of happening every single posession, so easy to defend against, become unpredictable, and the hurt factor/posession goes up enormously.

At the moment, Simpkin is playing full time on-baller and first possession winner and I think the constant congestion and hurried play doesn't really suit him.

As soon as some other players have developed (namely Phillips) I think Simpkin needs to be transitioned to the outside a little more.

His tank is good and skills when not rushed are perfectly fine and it should make him feel a little less rushed and get away from that siege mentality he seems to have. Also with less congestion his 'tricks' may actually start to become more effective. Not bad at crumbing either but we don't see that anymore.

A mix of on-ball, wing and half forward might help him see the game a little more on his terms.

At the moment, Simpkin is playing full time on-baller and first possession winner and I think the constant congestion and hurried play doesn't really suit him.

As soon as some other players have developed (namely Phillips) I think Simpkin needs to be transitioned to the outside a little more.

His tank is good and skills when not rushed are perfectly fine and it should make him feel a little less rushed and get away from that siege mentality he seems to have. Also with less congestion his 'tricks' may actually start to become more effective. Not bad at crumbing either but we don't see that anymore.

A mix of on-ball, wing and half forward might help him see the game a little more on his terms.

I like it when he bursts out of congestion as opposed to trying to move laterally, that is when he gets caught because (as others have mentioned) opposition mids are wise to it. He had no impact against Essendon, expecting a response today and will be disappointed if there isn't one.

Given Noble's talk of flexibility being important I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened already. Especially once Jed Anderson is back, I'd love to see him with stints at half-forward while Cunners, Jed, LDU, Thomas, Powell etc carry the load in the middle.

We haven't see him play that position in years and I wouldn't rule out it being the best spot for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back