Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't posted much for the past few weeks, just wanted to say that Simpkin has been sensational, making people like myself who suggested he may be a 'bust' look like idiots.

Yep, I put my hand up, I'll cop my fair whack, I thought he might be a bust, and I said as much, earlier in the season.

Sometimes we get things wrong. I think I got this one wrong. I hope so, anyway, and some of the evidence lately certainly suggests as much.

I just watched the last quarter for the first time since being at Marvel. I cannot fathom how we managed to lose it after we took the lead with eight minutes to go. We had them on toast. You could have knocked them down with a feather. We stopped hunting them and allowed them to hunt us instead, which was ludicrous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else rate him as having the potential to captain us at some point?
Definitely has the potential. As he said, consistency is the key. I think Browny would be next, followed by a LDU/Simpkin type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His game got lost amongst all the dazzle tonight.

Was very good.

His best game start to finish IMO. Good inside, neat steps, a few big tackles and he worked really hard to run to make space and connections for teammates, something I've not noticed as much before with him. Continues to improve, clearly pays attention during reviews and pushes to get the best out of himself. Great signs.

His best game start to finish IMO. Good inside, neat steps, a few big tackles and he worked really hard to run to make space and connections for teammates, something I've not noticed as much before with him. Continues to improve, clearly pays attention during reviews and pushes to get the best out of himself. Great signs.
Working on his strength and spread (fitness) should be his preseason priority. Is coming along nicely.

He worked his arse off and it really stood out.

He worked his arse off and it really stood out.

He was like Polec last night with this. Really noticeable. Very happy with his game. Great all round mid game.

Really liked Jy's game last night. He showed some sublime skills, and improved on his great recent form (cat game excepted). Jy really moved the ball last night, stole his way through contests. Showed us what we wanted to see!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back