Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed in one of the training videos that Simpkin was matched up on cunnington. I like that matchup at training. Simpkin will be trying to use his endurance and evasiveness whilst he has to counter cunnington’s ability to hold space. Meanwhile cunners has to get on his bike and chase the young buck and practice defending someone with a good dose of agility. I imagine both get a lot out of that match up.

I'm trying to think of who - ex North or opposition, current and previous - Jy plays like, especially now we're seeing "real Jy" the full time midfielder.

I only saw bits of him as a kid, but older types here will remember him - Garry Wilson. Smaller but aggressive and agile rover, could kick a goal but was equally happy at the bottom of the pack. Wilson was a gun too, absolute gun in an underrated Fitzroy side of the early to mid 80s towards the end of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to think of who - ex North or opposition, current and previous - Jy plays like, especially now we're seeing "real Jy" the full time midfielder.

I only saw bits of him as a kid, but older types here will remember him - Garry Wilson. Smaller but aggressive and agile rover, could kick a goal but was equally happy at the bottom of the pack. Wilson was a gun too, absolute gun in an underrated Fitzroy side of the early to mid 80s towards the end of his career.
He reminds me of Kym Hodgeman

He reminds me of Kym Hodgeman

Sorry, can't see it in either case. For a start, neither have Jy's hardness / level of mongrel.

Garry Wilson was a highly skilled ball magnet, a total gun - was favourite to win the 78 Brownlow before the big (and educated) money came for Blight. If Jy starts to consistently get around 30 ppg, then we could go with 'Garry Wilson with added mongrel'.

Jy has more tricks than Hodgeman, IMO. I think Jy is closer to Matt Larkin, but still not that similar.

Sorry, can't see it in either case. For a start, neither have Jy's hardness / level of mongrel.

Garry Wilson was a highly skilled ball magnet, a total gun - was favourite to win the 78 Brownlow before the big (and educated) money came for Blight. If Jy starts to consistently get around 30 ppg, then we could go with 'Garry Wilson with added mongrel'.

Jy has more tricks than Hodgeman, IMO. I think Jy is closer to Matt Larkin, but still not that similar.
Hodgeman was hard as nails.

A taller, more aggressive Marc Murphy?
A darker-skinned, more hirsute, less skilled and hyped Gary Ablett?
A shorter, less-rucking Todd Goldstein?
A less contested marking Isaac Heeney?
Paul Kelly, but with more tricks.
(Forget that last one... I say all the dumb things.)

My memory is fading, and I'm not for a moment suggesting he wasn't courageous, but I don't recall hardness being a defining feature of Hodgeman's game. It was about par for the era.

Tough in the clinches was Hodgy. Wasn't quick like Simpkin but a good side step and spin in close. Took some gutsy marks. I agree though that Jy has more upside

I think Jy is closer to Matt Larkin, but still not that similar.
First guy I thought of as well, but Jy has a few more tricks up his sleeve than Matty too probably.

He's a bit of a one off.

He's still developing his style as a midfielder at the moment. Interesting to see the comparison calls by the end of the year. Hoping by then he'll be a fully fledged starting mid for us.

It's seem pretty clear to me that Jy is playing as a bash & crash type mid, which differs from how I saw him in his initial "happy feet" days, so he needs to add the size & strength factor.

He's getting closer to that now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back