Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

You and pick choose your moments. A football hasn't even been kicked in anger this calendar year.
You prevent this by upholding the values of an elite athlete and save the piss for October.
If we're going to use his non city living upbringing as an excuse it's even more of an indictment on our senior list that he's in this position.
See I just do not agree that players cannot have a life outside of the 2 months they get off. These people are not slaves who must be controlled at all times. Sure they get paid well, but I for one would not like to think our society would accept this type of totalitarian control over the personal and private lives of anyone.

Does Jy need to look up and live, look both ways before crossing, not be texting while walking. Sure.

When I first moved to Melbourne (in fact it was to a block of flats on the corner of abbostford st and arden st), I almost got hit by cars a number of times, almost got taken out by a tram one night. I don't think there is ANY blame on the club culture. Its just life. Lesson learnt (one hopes). Lets not go blaming the club, or individual players.

He's a bloody moron. Lock for Rd 1 and this happens.

Still more mature than 99% of others his age with the self imposed ban. Rarely see that from young players, it's always a club imposed ban.

See I just do not agree that players cannot have a life outside of the 2 months they get off. These people are not slaves who must be controlled at all times. Sure they get paid well, but I for one would not like to think our society would accept this type of totalitarian control over the personal and private lives of anyone.

Does Jy need to look up and live, look both ways before crossing, not be texting while walking. Sure.

When I first moved to Melbourne (in fact it was to a block of flats on the corner of abbostford st and arden st), I almost got hit by cars a number of times, almost got taken out by a tram one night. I don't think there is ANY blame on the club culture. Its just life. Lesson learnt (one hopes). Lets not go blaming the club, or individual players.

They have between October and Feb to have nights out on the town getting trolleyed.

Most if not all of the younger guys are out and about during the season as well.

We must have the dumbest injuries in the AFL. Well, other than St Kilda's dwarf burning injury. :stern look
You're right, this thread does need a burning dwarf GIF.

dwarf-lepre-jack-odarling-frown.gif

Last edited:

Mate drinking is not mandatory for anyone and if you choose to become a professional athlete than I personally think its a luxury they can do without.
Also if he has a few then thats fine. But to be pissed beyond his limits inseason? No one is telling Jy dont be a 19yo and dont enjoy your teenage years. But * me theres a time and place and this isnt one of them.

We must have the dumbest injuries in the AFL. Well, other than St Kilda's dwarf burning injury. :stern look
Pretty sure De Goey playing with his dog getting injured takes the cake.:Stern Look.

Mate drinking is not mandatory for anyone and if you choose to become a professional athlete than I personally think its a luxury they can do without.
Also if he has a few then thats fine. But to be pissed beyond his limits inseason? No one is telling Jy dont be a 19yo and dont enjoy your teenage years. But **** me theres a time and place and this isnt one of them.
Also we're talking about young men with so much money they take extended holidays to southern Europe every off-season. Avoiding getting pissed on overpriced swill in Melbourne during February isn't much to ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have between October and Feb to have nights out on the town getting trolleyed.

Most if not all of the younger guys are out and about during the season as well.

Also if he has a few then thats fine. But to be pissed beyond his limits inseason? No one is telling Jy dont be a 19yo and dont enjoy your teenage years. But **** me theres a time and place and this isnt one of them.

Also we're talking about young men with so much money they take extended holidays to southern Europe every off-season. Avoiding getting pissed on overpriced swill in Melbourne during February isn't much to ask.
Sorry to pop you all in together with the quote, but I think you are all saying the same thing - that players must have their private lives curbed in ways that lie outside of football.

I am not going to debate anymore about it, because I see no argument you can give me that allows me to accept that. So I'll just end up doing what I usually do and continue this discussion past its use-by date.

See, I'm trying to be a better bf citizen :)

That's the bit that annoys me. At his age and experience he's proven nothing and I personally don't think this is the time of year to be cutting loose. It's a completely unfortunate accident - I have no doubt I've managed to avoid plenty of them through sheer dumb luck over the years but I don't love the impression that he's so secure in year 2 a week away from the first of 2 real prep games that he can be kicking on so much.

Meh, opportunity for someone else (such as Turner) to make it harder for him to get a look back in and learn a lesson.

Edit: BTW think I'll bail on this topic in the thread now - there's not much more to say from various angles that hasn't already and I have no doubt that Jy would be absolutely filthy that he can't be out there this week.

Sorry to pop you all in together with the quote, but I think you are all saying the same thing - that players must have their private lives curbed in ways that lie outside of football.

I am not going to debate anymore about it, because I see no argument you can give me that allows me to accept that. So I'll just end up doing what I usually do and continue this discussion past its use-by date.

See, I'm trying to be a better bf citizen :)
Of course athletes have to change private lives. Asinine to imply otherwise. They shouldn't be eating McDonald's 15 times a week, doing ice, illegal drag racing or getting so pissed they walk in front of the loudest vehicles on the road.

I'm not going to lie, I'm super disappointed.

The motorcyclist was speeding and Jy took matters into his own hand:

source.gif

The club has suspended him for taking the law into his own hands. He should have just continued about his business and called '000'. It says a lot about Jy's character when he's willing to sacrifice his night and put himself in the line of fire to save others.

once the police look at the CCTV footage this whole thing will be sorted and Jy will receive a purple heart for his trouble.

Not sure why others have jumped the gun in this thread. the dimensions of a motorbike are 61cm from handbrake to handbrake. The average AFL player has a wing span of 190cm. So you're telling me you think Jy can dodge and weave past AFL players but can't weave past a motorbike that's 1/3 the size? Common sense prevails people.

View attachment 462402

The club has suspended him for taking the law into his own hands. He should have just continued about his business and called '000'. It says a lot about Jy's character when he's willing to sacrifice his night and put himself in the line of fire to save others.

once the police look at the CCTV footage this whole thing will be sorted and Jy will receive a purple heart for his trouble.

Not sure why others have jumped the gun in this thread. the dimensions of a motorbike are 61cm from handbrake to handbrake. The average AFL player has a wing span of 190cm. So you're telling me you think Jy can dodge and weave past AFL players but can't weave past a motorbike that's 1/3 the size? Common sense prevails people.

Voice of reason.

Watch Jy return in 6 weeks, play a half of footy, miss two weeks, play in twos for a half, miss another week then go in for surgery and be ruled out for the remainder of the year.

Classic North Bermuda Triangle.

Leigh Adams. Aaron Black. Ma...

View attachment 462402

Is that Jean-Claude Van Dam?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back