Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hi all (for those that haven't seen the thread),

Some here will be aware of some "cross-pollination" with another team forum yesterday and while some rectification has been made we've been asked by the powers that be to again remind posters of their responsibilities when posting elsewhere. Each board has its own methods and tolerances on BigFooty however these all revolve around the rules of the forum (Terms and rules).

The fact is when incidences like these come up there is no onus on opposition posters to agree, some may taunt and troll but they have the safety of their own forum to do that. When we head that way to fight them there is no protection and no security for your own posting. You post there at your own risk, just like they do on the North board.

This is not to say that all posting on opposition forums by their posters is acceptable. If you see something that you think is against the rules of the website then please report it and don't respond on their forum. If you wish to escalate something then there are avenues to achieve this as well, in the link above.

The North Melbourne BigFooty board is as tribal as it gets. It's not been a pretty few years but as things start to look positive it's best we all enjoy this together and don't drop silly numbers by fighting the wrong way.

Cheers

The Filth Wizard Twinkletoes King Corey Flawed Genius

Still don't know if he was taken off/out of rotation in the second half or just went missing.

He was racking them and doing very good things in the first half.
79% time on ground.

Finding it hard to find stats on the game. The match report will quote stats (mainly Bont's) but can't find player stats for Friday night. Help!
AFL app has the stats, but I can’t find a heat map. Judging by the eye, he didn't attend as many centre clearances in the second half.

Last edited:

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where's Hayden at mate?

Any news?
FB info is saying 2nd or 3rd round ready. Expect to see him in full training some time in March. The word I have got his fitness is not a problem and scans show he's tracking 8 or more weeks in front of where he's expected to be. Saw photos of him after the break and he is fully ripped. That's as much as I know.
He'll be a hungry mutt when he gets back for sure.
On the tagging subject, the kid showed real potential against Pendle's last season, for Shaw to start the kid on field against an A grader was a risk, but I thought it paid of for a while there. Finally a coach who takes risks, looking forward to what he does this year.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Simpkin needs to find a way to be more damaging with his disposal, especially by foot. He has elite vision and is a beautiful kick but too often he misses those risky kicks, he also tends to bomb it inside 50 a bit.

And hacks it out of the contest Peak JZ style. Reckon he just needs games to settle. Very confident that he’ll be a gun mid.

Early days I thought he wasn’t going to get enough footy as a mid, but his class was obvious. Honestly I was worried we had another Harper situation.

Now he’s showing that he can get the footy but the class hasn’t been there. He looks rushed.

IMO that’s a good thing because the class is natural, finding the footy is the hard part.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He has got better and better each year. Let’s just see where that upward trajectory lands and assess from there. I would say pretty much every area of his game has got better each year. I’m not sure we can ask for more than that.
Personally I think Simpkin, Thomas and LDU are the key to our success going forward. They’re potentially the 3 mids with different attributes that can take us deep into September in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Poor kid turns 21 looking like that, probably still never had a girlfriend.

I know right, and he's got that super hot housemate who goes everywhere with him too, just to make it worse.

Back