Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

He's pretty much got everything he needs to be a top line mid - he gut runs, has a burst, is tough as nails, runs both ways, is calm under pressure and has genuine class and vision.

Dual sided.

I thought he was the biggest factor in us getting back into the game yesterday. His footskills, evasiveness to clear contested situations, and his use in close was elite.

Very, very pleasing.
Huge increase on his metres gained game which I think been a critique of yours in the past. Becoming the dynamic player we knew he could be after looking a bit dour last year.

maturity levels have soared.

Yeah.

He took it on, he took responsibility.

It was a great game for so many reasons. Him being one. This would have been a break out season that made everyone sit-up and take notice. Jabba the Hutch would have been copping it for that comment he made a few years ago nearly every week.

Loved that bit with Jones. It wasn't even that hard a contest. ZJ just ran into one of those people who is made out of metal.

Flexibility and different midfield/forward options are a good thing.

Totally.

Notice any change in the way we palmed the ball to our mids?

I'm probably off, but I reckon we attempted to hit it to space more often in the second half as well.

Not to mention the general play set up.

Ben forward, Higgo behind the ball, Jy patrolling the center square from d50 to f50 and more variety in the square after half time.

Looked good.

Totally.

Notice any change in the way we palmed the ball to our mids?

I'm probably off, but I reckon we attempted to hit it to space more often in the second half as well.

Not to mention the general play set up.

Ben forward, Higgo behind the ball, Jy patrolling the center square from d50 to f50 and more variety in the square after half time.

Looked good.

Having the leg speed of hall also helps.

The goal he kicked in the third was very good as we were building some momentum. He had so many team mates around him in no better or worse position and could of easily given the ball off, but he wanted the shot and he slotted it with ease. Backed himself in to be the man and did not disappoint.

You could sense the entire team steady with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giantroo the footage of Jasper on his back and mid airing the footy to Jy - made better by Zak Jones trying to clean him up and getting himself hurt instead 😂

Jy then went on to get a possession in the link up play and Jones was still down

Jones is an even bigger spud than I initially thought.

Nope that won't happen buddy.

I don’t get the Zurhaar for captain comments that continually gets mentioned on here. He doesn’t seem like captain material at at all to me. Hard as nails and a great character to have around the club, but not captain material in my opinion.

A shame Vickers Willis has had such a horrid run with injury. If he could stay on the park and had more games under his belt, I think he would have been a great candidate. A very smart kid, mature and I think if available he would be in our top handful of most important players. I still have hope for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back