Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't think he was quite on last night, interesting to see his game highly rated by others.

I think he ended up getting his hands on the ball a lot without generating a disposal. I was a bit surprised at the end of the game to see he was sub 20 disposals.

I think he ended up getting his hands on the ball a lot without generating a disposal. I was a bit surprised at the end of the game to see he was sub 20 disposals.

He got a lot of it early and drifted out, which has happened a few times of late. I think he's just tired and sore tbh, it's been a long season for him with limited support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd haven't seen it mentioned that he's very clearly playing frustrated, to the point where he's riding the line to potentially get a suspension and its as a result of whatever he's attempting hasn't been paying off much, a lot of his disposals haven't been as clean as they were at the beginning of the year and frankly he was playing a lot better back then too, maybe its because now teams are noticing him and he's copping the tag and missing out on Higgins/Cunnington at the centre bounces but its clear that Jy is not the inside clearance player that Cunnington is where he can bully his way out of a contest so easily, and it would be best if he got back to the basics to just tidy up his executions instead of trying to be too fancy.

We all know he can play, but maybe just a slight rest to cool the jets and stop forcing the magic to happen might see him go back to a consistency of good outcomes in his game, cos so far it seems he's biting off more than he can chew.

Has the North Melbourne development program taken a hold of him?

Been butterfingered and flat footed for the last month.
Add him to the long list of players unable to take the next step? I hope not we've had, far too many of them over the year.
JZ, Wood, Atley, Harper, Turner, Black off the top of my head.

Hasn't been the same player since he got injured about 6 weeks ago. Shouldn't have played today, looked off in all areas.....concussion effects can do this at high intensity

I just think the season has worn him down. Cunners went down, Higgins went out of the middle, Jy become the number 1 midfielder, opposition teams sit on him, he hurts his ankle, gets a heavy knock last week....it all adds up.
Yes, also Goldy's form has dropped off, but at the end of the day he needs to step up and stop playing 4th fiddle.

I just think the season has worn him down. Cunners went down, Higgins went out of the middle, Jy become the number 1 midfielder, opposition teams sit on him, he hurts his ankle, gets a heavy knock last week....it all adds up.
Yeah I am surprised they played him today - just no need for it after the bump last week.

I’m a huge Jy fan - his first half of the season was outstanding. Obviously been carrying something since he hurt his ankle.

However, needs to cut out the stupid free kicks for mine. I get that he wants to be aggressive, but the frequency that translates to sloppy free kicks is just unacceptable.

Big preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back