Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

It don’t maketh the footballer, but he’s certainly got a helluva rig going on. Looks as fit as all get out.

The forward stuff is important. We need these rotating mids to start getting amongst the goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yet to prove himself as an endurance athlete though. Biggest thing holding him back at the moment.

Physically, this kid has matured so much in the past 12 months. Has put a mountain of work in in the gym and on the track.

Has been working a lot with Heath Scotland and Jared Moore to improve his midfield craft. Particularly his positioning around the stoppages. Also been working with Boomer on his impact forward of centre.

Expect him to take his game to another level this year.

With a tiny number of exceptions they all have talent and capability at that level. If they "want it" that can make all the difference.

Hopefully Boomer can pass Jy the baton Blakey handed him in terms of paying close attention to every detail of his preparation and gamecraft.

With a tiny number of exceptions they all have talent and capability at that level. If they "want it" that can make all the difference.

Hopefully Boomer can pass Jy the baton Blakey handed him in terms of paying close attention to every detail of his preparation and gamecraft.

I don't reckon that's an issue with Jy mate.

It's about tuning things up.

Put it this way, does anybody think LDU’s third year will be better than Jy’s?

I suspect LDU will still have peaks and troughs, but the peaks will be higher and the troughs lower.

He's probably still another 12 months away from being a consistent player.

Jy's time is now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love to be surprised but i can’t see LDU getting 9 coaches votes in a game next year. Or getting near Jy’s total for that matter. I’d be happy to be wrong.
It'll definitely be tough with Cunners, Higgo and even Ziebs running through there. Won't be too many 9s up for grabs between them!

As long as he continues on the right trajectory with a few goals and a stretch goal of breaking out, that's all we can ask.

This year is Jy's year, next year he should definitely be his if he doesn't hit that stretch goal this year.

At the moment I'm in Snake_Baker's camp in terms of what I'm expecting next year. But always ready to be surprised!

Hey, Larkey & Zurhaar caught me off guard last year.

I figured it woiuld be another year before they delivered, so it just goes to show how a change in coach and tactics can affect things.

I figured it woiuld be another year before they delivered, so it just goes to show how a change in coach and tactics can affect things.
This is what I'm hoping for LDU this year, but it's not an expectation. No reason to pile on too much pressure.

Neither were in the starting 22 in the first few weeks of the season, and although they got their chance under Scott, definitely flourished under Shaw.
Would be interesting how kids like Bailey Scott, Will Walker and Curtis Taylor go after a fully fit preseason under the new regime.

Neither were in the starting 22 in the first few weeks of the season, and although they got their chance under Scott, definitely flourished under Shaw.
Would be interesting how kids like Bailey Scott, Will Walker and Curtis Taylor go after a fully fit preseason under the new regime.

Yet people s**t can McKay who didn't get the same opportunities due to bad luck.

Go figure.

Physically, this kid has matured so much in the past 12 months. Has put a mountain of work in in the gym and on the track.

Has been working a lot with Heath Scotland and Jared Moore to improve his midfield craft. Particularly his positioning around the stoppages. Also been working with Boomer on his impact forward of centre.

Expect him to take his game to another level this year.

I don't believe you! The old ways of soft background music while burning incense has to be better than this 'midfield wizardry' or working hard in the gym that you speak of.
Bloody flat earthers.

This is what I'm hoping for LDU this year, but it's not an expectation. No reason to pile on too much pressure.
Have a look at the game he played against Brions in r2 last year. Natural progression from that will see him tear a few games up this year I reckon.

Have a look at the game he played against Brions in r2 last year. Natural progression from that will see him tear a few games up this year I reckon.

Had great improvement - just needs consistency and he’ll take over f try on higgo.
Was worried after his first two years that he might of been the new Harper

Great to hear Jy won the yo yo test today after returning from Xmas break...
He played some outstanding games last year, albeit with a few mediocre ones in between - which is to be expected at his age/experience.
It sounds like he has not slackened off over the off season & he is significantly fitter & stronger from all reports.
I fully expect him to burst onto the scene this year & will be spoken about regularly in the media as one of the best young players in the comp.
He has all the tricks & is hard as nails. Great player to watch! Love him!!!

Goldy has rucked one out for most of his career.

And he never comes off the field. He’s an animal.

Simpkin besting him in a endurance based test is reason to sit up and take notice.

Imagine Stibbard had free license to take his preferred players in 2006?

#3 Joel Selwood
#21 Gavin Urqhart
#37 Todd Goldstein
#53 Lindsay Thomas
#69 Ben Warren
#82 Aaron Edwards

Rookie:
#3 Leigh Adams

Would've been an exceptional haul with Selwood, Goldstein, Thomas and Adams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back