Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Best as a forward at moment, but looks like he needs a rest.
There was one bit of play on wing where he was the final link in a handball chain... All he had to do was give a simple handball over the top. Instead he held the ball and tried to take on the tackler, which enabled more Pies players to arrive and his eventual handball was under pressure and Pies regained possession.

I think he’ll be fine. I reckon he’s struggling with the grind of playing through the middle in the seniors. He just needs some more preseasons under his belt.

Be nice if some of the kids on the VFL stood up so we could afford to give him a rest.
It would be nice if Brad gave some of these kids a shot.

No good playing Jy when he is this out of form. Give him a rest and try someone else.

You're bipolar on here. Just running out of steam after a long season. Only 20 and the upside is huge. If you need reassurance go look in your posting history to six weeks ago before you jumped off him.

He’s going to be a gun but he needs a spell or a rest so badly it’s ruining his development and confidence

I don't know how you can say that it's "ruining" him but a VFL spell is probably necessary, I agree.

True. Probably a bit harsh to say that but it feels like if we keep selecting him we are pretty much running him into the ground

The classic “play him into form” does not work with players but we continue to do it

True. Probably a bit harsh to say that but it feels like if we keep selecting him we are pretty much running him into the ground

The classic “play him into form” does not work with players but we continue to do it
No, he has already played a lot of AFL football since recovering from that horrific leg break too. You'd think it would be wise to handle him with care in these early years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has Jy done to warrant selection is the question you need to ask?

Sometimes it’s a matter of bringing in someone just to give the kid a spell.

All we are doing at the moment is destroying his confidence.

We could go around in circles about this for ages. Jy is producing similar numbers at AFL level as what the blokes pushing for his spot are producing in the VFL.

It’s probably for another thread but blokes like Jacobs, Cunnington, Wood, McDonald (in his underage year) were racking up huge numbers before forcing their way into the ones. The kids in the 2s at the moment are lucky to break 20 disposals.

We could go around in circles about this for ages. Jy is producing similar numbers at AFL level as what the blokes pushing for his spot are producing in the VFL.

It’s probably for another thread but blokes like Jacobs, Cunnington, Wood, McDonald (in his underage year) were racking up huge numbers before forcing their way into the ones. The kids in the 2s at the moment are lucky to break 20 disposals.
Really not much established quality in the magoos. Just a few speculative sorts. Iam thinking matt hanson would have been a shoe in to get a game this year the way he racks up the numbers.

Dont get me wrong its good to have plenty of speculative blokes on the list but when you have long term injurie players like wright previousely and garner and possibly jacobs you soon run out of spots.

I think he’ll be fine. I reckon he’s struggling with the grind of playing through the middle in the seniors. He just needs some more preseasons under his belt.

Be nice if some of the kids on the VFL stood up so we could afford to give him a rest.
This. Should be playing forward more but is being fast tracked as a mid. Laboring at the moment. 2nd season no worries. The speed at which posters have hoped off jy and LDU is hilarious

This. Should be playing forward more but is being fast tracked as a mid. Laboring at the moment. 2nd season no worries. The speed at which posters have hoped off jy and LDU is hilarious

I’d love for him to him spend more time forward, I think he’d be good for 2-3 goals a week. He just looks sore at the moment. Just wish we had the depth to play him there. Maybe once (if) we get Jacobs back we’ll see it happen.

I’ve said on this board a few times he was coming along really nicely but his last month to six weeks has been poor.

I’d like him to play deep forward this week and see what he can do at the feet of Brown and Daw.
Swap him with Hrovat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back