Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

He looked like breaking out last year as well, he was super in the pre-season games and dominated the intraclub in the midfield with 30+.

He then was very quiet apart from 1 or 2 games for the first half of the season. He still had 12 games of 12 possessions or less.

I think he's bound to breakout at some point, but he's on my wait and see list until legitimate pre-season games against other AFL sides, as he was flying this time last year and he had probably just an average season to what we were anticipating.

He bubbled without boiling at times last year, and the older heads know he will erupt at some point.

It also needs to be taken in to account that playing half forward in our 2018 side was a big ask for anyone, much less a kid who came in to the season with 13 games experience. They were chasing multiple tails a lot of the time, primarily due to a lack of midfield leg speed..

He looked like breaking out last year as well, he was super in the pre-season games and dominated the intraclub in the midfield with 30+.

He then was very quiet apart from 1 or 2 games for the first half of the season. He still had 12 games of 12 possessions or less.

I think he's bound to breakout at some point, but he's on my wait and see list until legitimate pre-season games against other AFL sides, as he was flying this time last year and he had probably just an average season to what we were anticipating.

Last pre-season he was flying until his altercation with a motorcycle. No such interruption this year (as yet), so I'm in with those who say the breakout will happen this year.

In hindsight, his actual progression was in line with reasonable expectations.

Went from 11 to 15 disposals a game, and most of that was contested possessions. Also 1.2 more tackles per game and R50s went from almost none to almost 1 per game, suggesting he's using more of the field. Metres gained is not huge at 170, but it's up from 102 and the average per possession went up from 9.5m to 11.5m. So he's using the ball a bit more aggressively despite the increase in CP% and his K/HB ratio going down.

The thing we really wanted and expected to see was more goals, and while he added half an assist per game only scored himself at the same rate as his rookie year. Hopefully that's a focus for him this year.

Managed 75% game time last year up from 69% the first year and should push up into the 80s this year if he continues as a forward with some mid rotations. No reason he can't add another 5-6 possessions per game. 20 disposals and a goal a game is in the upper echelon of general forwards. It's in reach for him and in only his 3rd year.

The other thing is he'll pass the 50 game mark this year. It took until last year for Dumont to do that and he seemed a different player in the back half of the season.

Wasn't he carrying a injury of some sort?

Went from 11 to 15 disposals a game, and most of that was contested possessions. Also 1.2 more tackles per game and R50s went from almost none to almost 1 per game, suggesting he's using more of the field. Metres gained is not huge at 170, but it's up from 102 and the average per possession went up from 9.5m to 11.5m. So he's using the ball a bit more aggressively despite the increase in CP% and his K/HB ratio going down.

The thing we really wanted and expected to see was more goals, and while he added half an assist per game only scored himself at the same rate as his rookie year. Hopefully that's a focus for him this year.

Managed 75% game time last year up from 69% the first year and should push up into the 80s this year if he continues as a forward with some mid rotations. No reason he can't add another 5-6 possessions per game. 20 disposals and a goal a game is in the upper echelon of general forwards. It's in reach for him and in only his 3rd year.

The other thing is he'll pass the 50 game mark this year. It took until last year for Dumont to do that and he seemed a different player in the back half of the season.

I think reasonable expectations from this time last year, sure. Following pre-season, expectations were sky high.

He brained the pre-season, all the media out of the club was he was going to be the midfielder to step up in 18'.

Was BOG in a few practice games and PR machine was in overdrive after the intraclub.

Now, I'm not saying he had a bad season or anything, I'm just going to temper my expectations with him until I see him against AFL opponents.

Hmmm.. Wasn't Jy playing midfield last year? Those numbers are.... poor to be honest.

I think reasonable expectations from this time last year, sure. Following pre-season, expectations were sky high.

He brained the pre-season, all the media out of the club was he was going to be the midfielder to step up in 18'.

Was BOG in a few practice games and PR machine was in overdrive after the intraclub.

Now, I'm not saying he had a bad season or anything, I'm just going to temper my expectations with him until I see him against AFL opponents.
Yeah, fair enough. There's always Scott's game plan to consider when wishing for high-possession mids and forwards, too.

Jy was playing high high half forward. That was the closest he consistently got to the midfield. He would play like a wingmen but on the attacking side of stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His numbers decreased after his mid year GR led non suspension.

Up to rd 11 he was ave 17.1 disp and had kicked 8 goals.

After that he was down to 13.5 disp per game and contributed 4 goals.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He dropped away when BJ went out the side and the midfield was further exposed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trend wasn't matched by the other flankers & pockets.

I'll say it again, our 1st half vs Hawthorn was as good as any side played last year.

His numbers decreased after his mid year GR led non suspension.

Up to rd 11 he was ave 17.1 disp and had kicked 8 goals.

After that he was down to 13.5 disp per game and contributed 4 goals.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
So you’re saying his drop in form was GR’s fault?

Good one GR. ;)

Last edited:
He dropped away when BJ went out the side and the midfield was further exposed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trend wasn't matched by the other flankers & pockets.

I'll say it again, our 1st half vs Hawthorn was as good as any side played last year.

How good did we look?!
Best half since the Brad Scott prelim years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back