Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

sheesh , when you brake it down its a pretty hard gig plying AFL.

Thats why live games are even better, you really see the off-camera workrate the guys do. Sitting in the seats behind the interchange bench is the top spot. I found it fascinating watching the exhaustion and getting a small break while they all gotta talk to each other and figure out what to do.

Watched the game again on replay, thought Jy was very clean around around the ground (2nd half in particular) and more as a whole across the season, seems to have a real feel for putting the ball to our advantage either with silky handballs and when he kicks to 50/50s it always seems to be to our favour. Kid is going to be an excitement machine for a long time !

Also a question to those in the know more than me, was wondering if anyone else thinks he’s not as quick as they first thought beyond 10 metres ?
He’s lightning in close and his first step and agility are first class but not as quick with straight line speed as I expected.

Not a criticism just an observation

Watched the game again on replay, thought Jy was very clean around around the ground (2nd half in particular) and more as a whole across the season, seems to have a real feel for putting the ball to our advantage either with silky handballs and when he kicks to 50/50s it always seems to be to our favour. Kid is going to be an excitement machine for a long time !

Also a question to those in the know more than me, was wondering if anyone else thinks he’s not as quick as they first thought beyond 10 metres ?
He’s lightning in close and his first step and agility are first class but not as quick with straight line speed as I expected.

Not a criticism just an observation

TBH I’d rather someone with a quick first step. Footy is so much more about being able to break clear regularly than straight line speed.

How many possies a game are after 20m runs?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a fair point and it’s not like he’s slow or anything. Not many players have both. If he keeps doing what he’s doing he won’t really need the line breaking speed.

Probably noticed it more when he was chasing down guys. But that could’ve been fatigue, wet ground etc

The way Jy plays, i.e. lateral movement, hard at the ball and can do freakish things, does he resemble a bit of this bloke?

20152705_Wang_P.jpg

TBH I’d rather someone with a quick first step. Footy is so much more about being able to break clear regularly than straight line speed.

How many possies a game are after 20m runs?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
quick of mind is better than quick of body (both is better again) .
i never recall seeing Greg Williams win any foot races, on the other hand i didn’t see him getting tackled to often either.

Very good again. There was one desperate spoil (when we were ten goals up) which underlined his defensive discipline. A bit more polish with his finishing and that's a 20 touch, 3 goal game.

Anyone else notice how often he comes off the back of the square? Like a freight train.

He's currently in a really consistent spell of getting 15-20 touches every week. He'll be a 20+ guy as soon as next year.

Very good again. There was one desperate spoil (when we were ten goals up) which underlined his defensive discipline. A bit more polish with his finishing and that's a 20 touch, 3 goal game.

Anyone else notice how often he comes off the back of the square? Like a freight train.

He's currently in a really consistent spell of getting 15-20 touches every week. He'll be a 20+ guy as soon as next year.
Back of the square very similar to what Charlie Cameron did at almost every bounce when he was at Adelaide.

Its a sweeper/linebreaking start position. He does it well.

Yep, and that's where his elite lateral movement is best used - if he gets possession he can switch the entire "locus of play" with one sidestep and hve us going forward quickly while the opposition are still catching their feet and going into reverse.

Reckon he's averaging a goal a game from intercepts at kickouts the last four or five weeks.

Coaches cream their daks/tear their hair out over them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back