Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hi all (for those that haven't seen the thread),

Some here will be aware of some "cross-pollination" with another team forum yesterday and while some rectification has been made we've been asked by the powers that be to again remind posters of their responsibilities when posting elsewhere. Each board has its own methods and tolerances on BigFooty however these all revolve around the rules of the forum (Terms and rules).

The fact is when incidences like these come up there is no onus on opposition posters to agree, some may taunt and troll but they have the safety of their own forum to do that. When we head that way to fight them there is no protection and no security for your own posting. You post there at your own risk, just like they do on the North board.

This is not to say that all posting on opposition forums by their posters is acceptable. If you see something that you think is against the rules of the website then please report it and don't respond on their forum. If you wish to escalate something then there are avenues to achieve this as well, in the link above.

The North Melbourne BigFooty board is as tribal as it gets. It's not been a pretty few years but as things start to look positive it's best we all enjoy this together and don't drop silly numbers by fighting the wrong way.

Cheers

The Filth Wizard Twinkletoes King Corey Flawed Genius

Welcome Jy Simpkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxCS0QCobKc

Selection No.12 – Jy Simpkin
Bryce Lewis says: "I see him starting out as a mid/forward but we think he's got the capacity to come up to a wing and midfield. He played very little this year because of the broken leg (he suffered in April) but if you track his 17-year-old year amongst his peers he was right up there. He certainly does provide an X-factor, plays with a lot of energy, and is very clever and dangerous around goal."

Jy Simpkin - Pick 12
“Jy Simpkin’s a creative mid-forward who was struck down with a broken leg earlier in the year, but was a highly credentialed 17-year-old. He was bracketed in the top couple in his age group in his 17th year.

“He’s a very creative player who brings others into the game. He plays with a lot of energy, x-factor and unpredictability.

“He’s certainly a player who we think will complement our group, particularly in time with Brent (Harvey) and Daniel Wells leaving. He’s a guy that we think can give us a point of difference.”

Last edited:
Jy Simpkin (VIC)

Best position:
General forward/outside midfield

Height, weight: 181cm, 71kg 

Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers

Plays like: Shane Edwards

Projected draft range: first to second round

Rated last month: 22

Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Not applicable. Season missed due to broken leg.

Strengths:
- Lowers eyes and demonstrates excellent vision and ability to hit inside 50m targets

- Composed with ball in hand

- Precision kick to target

- Finishes well from general play

- Scoreboard impact

- Acceleration

- X-factor

Weaknesses:

- Contested-ball winning

- Scope to play through midfield full-time unclear

- Disposal per game numbers

- Endurance

Last edited:
The Age:

Jy Simpkin (Murray Bushrangers/Mooroopna)

Born: 5.3.1998

Height: 181cm

Weight: 71kg

AFL bio: Medium forward-midfielder who is dangerous around goals, utilising his pace and agility. A smart user of the ball through the midfield, he has a big tank. Missed the NAB AFL under-18 championships through injury but has made a full recovery. Member of the NAB AFL Academy.

"I feel a bit robbed that I didn't get to watch Jy play as a top-ager. He put together a great body of work as a bottom-ager and in his first TAC Cup game this year he kicked four goals against Bendigo and was really dominant. He has great character and has been really good around our group in the last month. He's worked hard on his rehab and had a bit of a setback with an infection, but the way he's going he should be ready to go for preseason in November."

Lee Fraser, Murray talent manager

Herald Sun

JY SIMPKIN

Half forward/midfielder, 181cm, 71kg, Murray Bushrangers/Mooroopna

Buckenara says: Simpkin is a playmaker. He’s a midfielder who makes smart decisions and is classy and clever. He’s not an overly high possession-winner but when he does get it he’s creative. He’s one of those guys who, when he gets possession of the ball, you know something good is going to happen for the team. He’ll be of interest to a lot of clubs.

Last edited:
Jy Simpkin
Team: Murray Bushrangers
Height: 182
Weight: 72
DOB: 5/3/98

TAC Games: 1
AVG Disposals : 18
Goals: 4

Player Traits: Luke Bruest
Position: Forward/Midfield

Bio: Jy is a lightning quick forward who can play wing and midfield. He has excellent skills and a hunger to give his best every time he is out there. A quality kid who was crueled by injury and would be a top 10 certainty if not for the injury.

Jy has incredible pace and he uses it in every situation. Whether that's carrying the footy, chasing a player down, hitting a pack for a crumb or running to support or receive. He has clean skills and his kicking is both accurate and long. He can hunt players down his pressure is fantastic he doesn't give up a chase(Zach Merrett)

He hasn't shown too much in the midfield but when he does he plays similar to Jack Steven where he can win the footy on the inside and outside despite his size and will use his speed in every situation.

Last edited:
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-12-nmfc-simpkin

Jy Simpkin
5/3/98, 181cm, 71kg
Murray Bushrangers

Summary

If it wasn’t for an unfortunate injury earlier in the year, Jy Simpkin would have been a Top 10 Draft pick according to AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan.

Hailing from Mooroopna, the small forward has faced his fair share of challenges, including moving to the city to take up a scholarship at Scotch College.

"That was a pretty big move, it was pretty scary," Simpkin told The Age.

"From having Mum and Dad always around you, if you're hungry or thirsty getting you something to eat or drink, to now having to go around and do it all yourself and not having them around."

But he believes all the hurdles have helped him mature.

"It sort of feels like [Scotch are] always on your back to make you work harder, but they're just doing it to help you get the best out of yourself," he said.

"Sometimes it can get a little bit annoying when they're telling you to do stuff, but it has been good, it's helped me a lot with my schooling."

In just his fourth football game of 2016, Scotch's round one match against Caulfield, he broke a bone in his right leg and tore a ligament.

"Straight away, the first thought I had was, 'I'm not going to get drafted now, I don't know what to do'. I got pretty emotional, because I thought my draft was over and I was done," he said.

"For a few years now, most of the boys have been looking forward to their 18th year, being their draft year, so being unable to play has made it pretty frustrating and I've been unsure about what the future holds."

Despite the serious injury, AFL clubs circled with recruiters still keen on the highly talented teen.

“He’s the boy with the dancing feet. He could have been in the top ten if this draft was in the middle of the year,” Kevin Sheahan said on Draft night.

Taken with pick 12, he’s the perfect fit for North.

“Look for him to lay some big tackles when he gets his opportunity,” Brad Johnson said.

From AFL.com.au
It is one of the bigger shames in this year's under-18 season that injury ended Jy Simpkin's season before it had really even got going.

Simpkin played just one TAC Cup game for the Murray Bushrangers – a four-goal and 18-disposal effort in round one – before he broke his leg in a school game for Scotch College in April.

He required immediate surgery and was all but ruled out for the rest of the season straight away, which was a blow for the teenager and recruiters who hoped to see him take his game further after impressing as a bottom-ager last year.

Simpkin, an indigenous prospect from Mooroopna in country Victoria, was excellent as a 17-year-old for his state at the 2015 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, including kicking the match-winning goal after the siren to clinch a victory over Vic Metro.

He was added to the NAB AFL Academy as a member of its level two squad and impressed initially before his season was cut short. He resumed running about a month ago and is expected to be fit for the pre-season.

From Murray Bushrangers
Murray Bushrangers talent manager Lee Fraser expected big things from his livewire forward in 2016.

“We were really looking forward to Jy’s season. He played a couple of Academy games early, but in his first game for Scotch College he broke his leg,” Fraser told foxfooty.com.au.

“He was a little bit disappointed for a while but we’ve really seen towards the second half of the year his energy and spark is back.

“He’s a really infectious personality. The coaches and playing group love his company.”

“He earns a lot of respect through his effort and work rate,” Fraser said.

“He’s ready made emotionally to take the next step and play AFL footy.”

Last edited:

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Look forward to them.