Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Hi all (for those that haven't seen the thread),

Some here will be aware of some "cross-pollination" with another team forum yesterday and while some rectification has been made we've been asked by the powers that be to again remind posters of their responsibilities when posting elsewhere. Each board has its own methods and tolerances on BigFooty however these all revolve around the rules of the forum (Terms and rules).

The fact is when incidences like these come up there is no onus on opposition posters to agree, some may taunt and troll but they have the safety of their own forum to do that. When we head that way to fight them there is no protection and no security for your own posting. You post there at your own risk, just like they do on the North board.

This is not to say that all posting on opposition forums by their posters is acceptable. If you see something that you think is against the rules of the website then please report it and don't respond on their forum. If you wish to escalate something then there are avenues to achieve this as well, in the link above.

The North Melbourne BigFooty board is as tribal as it gets. It's not been a pretty few years but as things start to look positive it's best we all enjoy this together and don't drop silly numbers by fighting the wrong way.

Cheers

The Filth Wizard Twinkletoes King Corey Flawed Genius

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I thought he was going to burst on the scene big time this season, but he teetered on the edge of doing it.

Still very happy with his contribution. Will be a gun, I am certain of that.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Expectations round here are bloody ridiculous. Instant gratification is required

giphy.gif

I thought he was going to burst on the scene big time this season, but he teetered on the edge of doing it.

Still very happy with his contribution. Will be a gun, I am certain of that.
HFF position with stints in the midfield. We won't see the best of him, and a few others, until 2020 and beyond.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Building well. I think he is slowly working out how to play in the AFL system with the talent and physical ability he has and I think another solid pre-season should give him more legs in the middle.

jclei

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2010
Forward 50
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He had a solid year and will be even better next year.

We have to remember hes never played midfield in the AFL before - last year he would have been given license to sit in the forward 50 and just do what comes natural to him. This year he would have had to completely learn how to play midfield in an AFL system and from looking from afar it seemed like he was having to think his way through what he should be doing at stoppages and where he needs to be defensively a lot and that of course would take away from his attacking flair a little. After that game about 6 weeks or so ago where he had very little influence at all it seemed the club moved him back into the forward half a lot more and we started to see him play his natural game again.

The kid just has it - its just a matter of him learning the structures and getting the body size up a bit. Once that happens he will be great for us.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
He had a solid year and will be even better next year.

We have to remember hes never played midfield in the AFL before - last year he would have been given license to sit in the forward 50 and just do what comes natural to him. This year he would have had to completely learn how to play midfield in an AFL system and from looking from afar it seemed like he was having to think his way through what he should be doing at stoppages and where he needs to be defensively a lot and that of course would take away from his attacking flair a little. After that game about 6 weeks or so ago where he had very little influence at all it seemed the club moved him back into the forward half a lot more and we started to see him play his natural game again.

The kid just has it - its just a matter of him learning the structures and getting the body size up a bit. Once that happens he will be great for us.
Yep, and or all the talk of us not playing any kids, he's quietly put together 35 games in two years and is progressing nicely. Looking forward to the general public waking up at some point next year and thinking "where the hell did this kid come from?"

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we succeed over trade eon I'd like to see him as a permanent small forward next year.

Smart, creates, good pressure, can find the goals and good over head so we could isolate him at times.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Agree 100%. Could easily become a 40-50 goal a year forward

HFF position with stints in the midfield. We won't see the best of him, and a few others, until 2020 and beyond.

Agree and have said a few times. See him as a natural in that position. Steve Johnson is my comparison, he too wasn't that fast but was smart, physical and could do the unexpected. Could play full time forward or mid if the game called for it. Jy is right at the bottom of my worry list, not least because he seems to be a very driven young man.

He has more natural talent than most players in the competition. By most, I mean > 95%. The contested mark on the wing in the last quarter was ridiculous for someone his size. As usual, the commentators were wanking on about something else and completely missed it, so it wasn't even replayed.

Can't believe some people trying to curb his natural flair. His dodging and side-steps are a joy to watch. Created Browny's 2nd and 3rd goals (not to down-play the awesome finishing of BBB).

Hard as a cat's head, too.

Will be an absolute gun with a couple more pre-seasons.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He has more natural talent than most players in the competition. By most, I mean > 95%. The contested mark on the wing in the last quarter was ridiculous for someone his size. As usual, the commentators were wanking on about something else and completely missed it, so it wasn't even replayed.

Can't believe some people trying to curb his natural flair. His dodging and side-steps are a joy to watch. Created Browny's 2nd and 3rd goals (not to down-play the awesome finishing of BBB).

Hard as a cat's head, too.

Will be an absolute gun with a couple more pre-seasons.
Just wait until he's back at his natural aerobic base.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
Hope Jy can add some more depth to his kicking, especially from set shots for goal

It's such a stark contrast seeing players like Dumont, Zurhaar, and Ahern lining up from 40 - 50m and sending them 5 rows deep, to players like Turner, Hrovat and the like who struggle.

Really hope Jy can move himself into the first camp, because the second frustrate the hell out of me.

Brown's ridiculous goal falling backwards away from the goal face was only possible because of Jy's absurd lateral movement

He would've dodged two or three Saints 20m out from goal without moving from a 1x1 metre square

As YOTR said it's second year blues but his second year blues yielded 22 games at 15 touches (8 contested), 2 marks, 3 clearances, 4 tackles and 0.5 goals a game

Pretty frigging good second year blues

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brown's ridiculous goal falling backwards away from the goal face was only possible because of Jy's absurd lateral movement

He would've dodged two or three Saints 20m out from goal without moving from a 1x1 metre square

As YOTR said it's second year blues but his second year blues yielded 22 games at 15 touches (8 contested), 2 marks, 3 clearances, 4 tackles and 0.5 goals a game

Pretty frigging good second year blues
Just inconsistent. Main thing is learning how to find the footy. Probably should've had more run-with role's this year to get that education. I'm no expert but some games where he was on ball for 3/4s and getting 12 touches... needs big improvement in that area. I love watching Jy though and back him 100% to move forward next year in all areas.

Junk yard

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Will be a gun and love the way he goes about it, hope he can find another yard of pace but, reckon A.Swallow would just about have him covered. For that reason I see him more forward than mid.

Back