Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't have confidence in our player development for us to see the best of Jy.

Cannot agree with you at all EM, as that same development has produced better results from just about every player we brought in from another club in recent years.

This may have been the case 5+ years ago, but it isn't now.

Jy still has at least another two jumps in fitness levels in him yet.

If we succeed over trade eon I'd like to see him as a permanent small forward next year.

Smart, creates, good pressure, can find the goals and good over head so we could isolate him at times.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes he’d kick 40 a season up there from just crumbs off brown

Imagine just for a minute having him in turner or rats position this year when they were in space.
Exciting times

Cannot agree with you at all EM, as that same development has produced better results from just about every player we brought in from another club in recent years.

This may have been the case 5+ years ago, but it isn't now.

Jy still has at least another two jumps in fitness levels in him yet.
Waite, Higgins, Ahern, Williams, Anderson, Jacobs, Hrovat, Hartung - most of these guys already had senior bodies, experience and were ready made, and even then I wouldn't call Rat or Hartung a raging success (although I would have retained Hartung and delisted Hrovat).

Young players that have been with us from the very beginning that we had high hopes for like Wood, McDonald, Turner, Garner, Clark, and to a lesser extent Atley have all been disappointing given expectations. Would have added Durmont as well but to his credit he has turned it around.

I hope Simpkin and LDU follow in the way of improvement that Vickers-Willis and Durmont made rather than the players above.

Waite, Higgins, Ahern, Williams, Anderson, Jacobs, Hrovat, Hartung - most of these guys already had senior bodies, experience and were ready made, and even then I wouldn't call Rat or Hartung a raging success (although I would have retained Hartung and delisted Hrovat).

I didn't state "raging success", I stated "better"

Young players that have been with us from the very beginning that we had high hopes for like Wood, McDonald, Turner, Garner, Clark, and to a lesser extent Atley have all been disappointing given expectations. Would have added Durmont as well but to his credit he has turned it around.

I hope Simpkin and LDU follow in the way of improvement that Vickers-Willis and Durmont made rather than the players above.

Wood - Constantly injured (39 games)
LDU - (7 games)
Garner - Constantly injured (34 games)
Atley - Elite for his category
Turner - Very good for a 21 year old in the most demanding position i the game. (58 games)
McDonald - Tracking nicely, despite a drop off this season
Dumont - Excellent (61 games)
Clark - disposal issues and decision making (40 games)
Vickers - Willis - Excellent (14 games)
Simpkin - Who do you want to compare him with at the same age? Will Josh Caddy do? (34 games)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=13&type=A&pid1=3453&pid2=6340&fid1=O&fid2=O

If you want to judge player development from players that actually reached their prime age then Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Tarrant, Thomas and even Daw have all been successes in our system.

If you want to judge player development from players that actually reached their prime age then Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Tarrant, Thomas and even Daw have all been successes in our system.

Thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys.

I didn't state "raging success", I stated "better"

Wood - Constantly injured (39 games)
LDU - (7 games)
Garner - Constantly injured (34 games)
Atley - Elite for his category
Turner - Very good for a 21 year old in the most demanding position i the game. (58 games)
McDonald - Tracking nicely, despite a drop off this season
Dumont - Excellent (61 games)
Clark - disposal issues and decision making (40 games)
Vickers - Willis - Excellent (14 games)
Simpkin - Who do you want to compare him with at the same age? Will Josh Caddy do? (34 games)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=13&type=A&pid1=3453&pid2=6340&fid1=O&fid2=O
I never included LDU, Dumont or Vickers-Willis into the disappointing category, in VW and Dumont's case it was the opposite, although LDU 1st season performance was a little underwhelming considering all the hype, but he has his whole career in frout of him, and he was a #4 pick for a reason. Wood and Garner have had a lot of bad luck with injury but apart from a handful of games they constantly have gone missing for large chunks, and in Wood's case have wasted many opportunities particularly from set shots. They both are talented but have not exactly thrived under our system when on the park.

Atley we expected to eventually transfer into the midfield and incidentally he is exactly what we've been crying out for in the middle but that never worked out. He has turned himself into a serviceable player but you'd be lying to yourself if you didn't think he'd become something more.

I don't rate Turner at all. Not overly quick, has poor disposal, and doesn't get enough of the ball. His tackling and pressure acts in his first season or 2 are what made him, but without looking at stats those attributes have diminished also.

All have been very good and this might be a tad harsh but I'd argue that apart from Goldy, none have been in the very top elite bracket for their respected positions as far as the comp goes.

That said Cunnington has been criminally underrated for years now and has been a very consistent performer with his beast mode making him one of the best pure inside mids in the AFL. Tarrent has been a super good defender for the last few years, and Thomas went through a block of form where he was matching Betts.

But you're right. All the above including Swallow, and Daw (but only of late) have been successful

All have been very good and this might be a tad harsh but I'd argue that apart from Goldy, none have been in the very top elite bracket for their respected positions as far as the comp goes.

That said Cunnington has been criminally underrated for years now and has been a very consistent performer with his beast mode making him one of the best pure inside mids in the AFL. Tarrent has been a super good defender for the last few years, and Thomas went through a block of form where he was matching Betts.

But you're right. All the above including Swallow, and Daw (but only of late) have been successful
Short memory on Swallow. We had turned him into a top 20 mid in the competition before his achilles exploded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

051118_G7.jpg

Yes
In the clear light of the offseason expectations last season were too high
Has the talent we need
Very likely to rip it apart in 2019

Where do you reckon he’ll play Reggie? Predominantly small forward or midfield?

Jy is somewhat in between at this point
he definitely played in the middle at times and came off the back of the square
His Thing is Vision and the Twinkletoes and the Hands
But it looks like he doesnt have that initial yard to get the breakaway that a lot of the new breed small fwds have
and is he physically big that he can play sustained minutes in the middle?

I think Yes,he has that slightly deranged Jed look about him
Im guessing with Tyson as another Mid, and Polec actually able to kick it to someone plus we have to start looking after Higgo that he will def be in the midfield rotations

wot were u thinking?

I am not referring to any particular player.......but you can't polish a turd. Sometimes things are just what they are.

Yes
In the clear light of the offseason expectations last season were too high
Has the talent we need
Very likely to rip it apart in 2019

I thought he was really good last year till fitness, youth or whatever it was caught up with him. I'd say he was still getting over the effects of his broken leg. This year if he plays like he did early for a bit longer into the season people will start to take notice.

Jy is somewhat in between at this point
he definitely played in the middle at times and came off the back of the square
His Thing is Vision and the Twinkletoes and the Hands
But it looks like he doesnt have that initial yard to get the breakaway that a lot of the new breed small fwds have
and is he physically big that he can play sustained minutes in the middle?

I think Yes,he has that slightly deranged Jed look about him
Im guessing with Tyson as another Mid, and Polec actually able to kick it to someone plus we have to start looking after Higgo that he will def be in the midfield rotations

wot were u thinking?

Sorry I missed this response mate.

I like him as a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back