Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

141118_Galley10.jpg

Jy is the other player I believe will break out this year. I would love to see him in the forward line for around 60-65% of the time, with a run in the midfield for the other 35-40% of the time. I have no doubt if he does, he will kick 30 plus goals next year. I also wouldn't stifle his game and let him to play on his instincts. Even if he get caught out a few times, it shouldn't matter. This guys really does have the X factor about him.

Yes
In the clear light of the offseason expectations last season were too high
Has the talent we need
Very likely to rip it apart in 2019

Not sure whose expectations you're referring to, but Jy is progressing nicely after two years in the system coming off a broken leg.

A useful benchmark is Ben Ainsworth, who was pick 4 in the same draft as Jy. At the 2016 draft, they were both forward/ mids with plenty of potential and similar performances and stats as juniors. Some commentary was that, without the broken leg, Jy could have gone in the same bracket of players as Ainsworth.

No one is doubting Ainsworth's talent and potential (and I think few are doubting Jy's), but Jy's performances last year are right in line with Ainsworths:

upload_2018-11-14_19-30-43.png

He is progressing nicely, thanks, but we're a couple of years from a breakout season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recall someone saying he had elite endurance as a junior. Top 5 in the time trial earlier in the week, 2nd in today’s yo-yo, he may just be getting back to his capacity.
Lots of talk about TT, LDU, PA and the off season recruits, but this kid is every bit as exciting as all of them.
Bring on the boy with the dancing feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel like he is flying under the radar in a lot of ways

Second in the yoyo test

Top 5 in the 2km time trial

For a kid that at times looked like he was running in quicksand in his first few years it is a massive improvement and I'm sure something he has done in an attempt to bolster his claims for midfield time

All credit to him to working his arse off in the off season it looks like

Second in the yoyo test

For a kid that at times looked like he was running in quicksand in his first few years it is a massive improvement and I'm sure something he has done in an attempt to bolster his claims for midfield time

Came to us straight off a badly broken leg non?

Would explain slow start. Paul Roos would have played him in the 1s just before he broke the leg.

Lots of folks want to plop him in pocket this season. I reckon we want to run him through the midfielder for sure with this endurance.

Second in the yoyo test

His(sic) no longer a shiny new toy.

Would explain slow start. Paul Roos would have played him in the 1s just before he broke the leg.

Lots of folks want to plop him in pocket this season. I reckon we want to run him through the midfielder for sure with this endurance.
You want him around the edge of the pack, first receiver, creating space with the step and either dishing off to a runner or hitting someone up himself. He is going to be bloody lethal.

You want him around the edge of the pack, first receiver, creating space with the step and either dishing off to a runner or hitting someone up himself. He is going to be bloody lethal.

Cunners digs it out and creates the first second with his strength, vision and hands, to Jy who takes a few steps that create another two seconds as he sends the opposition the wrong way and goes out to Polec who has three seconds break and a disorganised opposition set up so he gets on his bike in the clear and sends a long raking pass out in front of Browny who - due to that break created by Cunners and Jy - is three steps ahead of his opponent.

Browny marks, goes back and ten minutes later slots the goal.

He's a genuine "bums off seats" player as it is, but a better foundation from which to use his abilities more regularly and consistently.

Very exciting times with Jy. I think he might be the most naturally gifted player on our list tbh, and he's now starting to build the tools that will allow him to make use of that talent.

That's right.

He's probably just getting back to where he'd have been without an interrupted year 12 full of footy.

Re him being second receiver tho ... somewhere there is a gif from earlier this year where Goldy taps it, Jy sharks the ball steps, opens up space and then hits Higgo with a Cunnington like handball into what you wouldn't call space - more the only 30 cm area that could possibly have worked. Higgo breaks clear and I'm not sure the result but it was probably a beautiful goal from someone.

It was an amazing piece of play and if he's gonna do that when he wins his own ball then he must be given the opportunity to imo. At least some of the time.

In fact he might not even step. He might just move his body like he is about to step, have everyone around him react and give him room to make the pass without actually moving his feet. Can't remember.

Either way its one of the best pieces of play I've ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back