Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd was smart and a champion track and field athlete (like Danger, who was actually a state champ sprinter and 400 runner.) Jy doesn't have that blistering pace but he does have the ability to get space around himself and he's not as slow as I thought he was. His lateral movement helps I spose.
Jy needs to get a sprint coach, he wastes a lot of energy with his running style, similar to that of Scott Thompson. It’s pretty amazing they are as quick as they are with their arms and legs going everywhere.

Thought Simpkin did well reading the play on Friday. Good example is the following play where he predicted the drop from Zurhaar nicely:

A perfect clip to show to any young footballer regarding why you should always be on the move (Simpkin) vs flat-footed (Ellis) in crumbing situations.

Jy needs to get a sprint coach, he wastes a lot of energy with his running style, similar to that of Scott Thompson. It’s pretty amazing they are as quick as they are with their arms and legs going everywhere.

Wait a minute ... is that serious?

I don't reckon that's any great issue mate. He's got plenty of standing start burst & lateral movement to get clear of traffic.

He's not a between the lines ball carrier type (Atley, Polec, etc.).

I don't reckon that's any great issue mate. He's got plenty of standing start burst & lateral movement to get clear of traffic.

He's not a between the lines ball carrier type (Atley, Polec, etc.).

Its not just that. His movement is deceptive. You watch his body at the end of that gif a few posts up. You too DesertRoo. Watch his legs (and arms) and see how he buys himself space with that lateral leg movement as he is going forward. His torso is still moving reasonably fast in a straightish line but his legs go sideways underneath him and he uses that shifting momentum to move himself off the straight line of Ellis' momentum.

That last few frames of the gif is an example of Jy using a form of thrust vectoring (oooeeer - thrust vectoring...).

All evasive players do it. Ellis might be faster than him (esp when jy has the ball and is looking to set up) but that movement brought him a bit more time, he gets clear and almost sets up TT.

Extremely solid month of work from Jy. He's definitely turned a corner. He'd rank right up there with forwards/mids if he maintains those numbers.

1560294419865.png

Last edited:
Notable top 100 rankings league wide in this period:

60th - Contested Possessions
40th - Score Involvements
85th - Clearances
98th - Inside 50's.

He probably sits around the periphery of a top 100 player overall at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notable top 100 rankings league wide in this period:

60th - Contested Possessions
40th - Score Involvements
85th - Clearances
98th - Inside 50's.

He probably sits around the periphery of a top 100 player overall at the moment.

Thereabouts mate, but we both know his ceiling is a lot higher than that. I'm starting to get blue balls, but I still reckon he needs just one more summer in the weights room.

I can't wait to see the puzzled looks on the faces of the moronic AFL media & public when Jy, LDU, TT, Walker & Bailey all finally click and complement the rest of the list in the next 12-24 months.

The football world won't know what hit it.

That's interesting but your personal life really is none of our business Alvin.
What did you do at work today dear?

Oh I was reading about a snake with blue balls who is being told by furballs that it's an overshare.

Just a usual day really.

Tef's comment made me think of a famous scene in a legendary Aussie movie.

Unfortunately for you, and many others, my testicular modelling days are over since Le Grille issued cease and desist orders and had to seek psychiatric assistance to overcome some troubling imagery.

Ball didn't bounce his way but I thought his aggression and body work was terrific. Clearly been schooled by Jed.

I have had a good think about him and it's strength with Jy. He does have tricks, but his natural instinct is to physically impose on the contest, and I reckon he's modelling himself strongly on Jed Anderson.

I have no problems with that, but we're going to have to wait a while longer until he packs on more muscle..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back