Player Watch #12: Jy Simpkin - 2021 & 2022 Syd Barker Medalist - 2023 co captain with LMac - re-signed until end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

That crumb and goal at the start of the game suggests he's going to be causing some headaches when he pushes forward over the next decade.

We can all agree that he's better suited to a centre square role, but I haven't seen that sort of craft on the forward line since Fruity Allison.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That crumb and goal at the start of the game suggests he's going to be causing some headaches when he pushes forward over the next decade.

We can all agree that he's better suited to a centre square role, but I haven't seen that sort of craft on the forward line since Fruity Allison.

He just ran harder than his St. k opponents in transition from mid to forward. You can see them a few meters behind him as the ball’s in the air to Brown in the clip.

Then he had the great timing and skills to execute. Class.

You could see in the Sydney game where he ran into an open goal and missed that he was gutted - he’d have felt he lost us the game.

Sometimes things like that, while tough at the time, just drive players to improve. He’s gone to another level.

Makes sense. He’s had the stamina and ability. Just putting it all together now.

The most pleasing thing for me was something he said in a post game interview a few weeks ago.

There's some sorta pact among the kids coming through to be the best that they can be and to push each other to get better.

This is leadership, this is the sort of intangible stuff that can define teams.

Also enjoying the lessons being posted in this thread about people who jumped off. Talent does not just evaporate.

I reckon he has all of a sudden managed to convince himself, that if you work hard, get to the number of contests that he can get to, the result will be there. Once you get to that stage, there is no turning back. It's a point that most really good players reach, from which they are entirely different player.

I remember back to Simmo early days, around 1995/96. He was in and out of the team, until at one point the penny dropped. He was Mr Consistency from there on. And Jy has so much more natural talent - his ceiling is being a top 5 player in the competition.

He’s not too useful when ball is not in his hand but he is a unmovable object, one of the strongest mid in close quarters and there will be a lot of those situations in a game. However we risk having too many in and under type as before but because of the addition Anderson and Simpkin, we have too highly attacking player so who generates a lot of buzz and can run both ways. One day if atley can be full time mid or even on ball then it’s adds new dynamic to the game. I still atley has a couple of gears to go. Him off a half back is in his comfort zone but to become elite' he needs to be given new challenges. He is only still 26 can u believe it.
Still cannot agree. I would like to hear from a few posters that go to our matches regularly on their thoughts of what he does off ball or when he has not got it. You obviously don't get to see what he does off ball on tv and I have to admit I only go to 2 games a year now when I am down for work. Maybe I am wrong but when I have seen him play live he has always done more than enough when he has not got the ball.

Still cannot agree. I would like to hear from a few posters that go to our matches regularly on their thoughts of what he does off ball or when he has not got it. You obviously don't get to see what he does off ball on tv and I have to admit I only go to 2 games a year now when I am down for work. Maybe I am wrong but when I have seen him play live he has always done more than enough when he has not got the ball.

well, he is hardly ever tagged, wonder why? For one when he is getting the ball, tagging won't do much good, him without the ball, tag is irrelevant. There is actually quite a bit upside to him. His marking ability is elite and should be sent to the goal square more often as a small marking forward. He can drag his direct opponent to the goal square and try out some 1-v-1 tussle. This can bring in a whole new dimension to his abilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bloke works his arse off defensively. Last month been the best pressure side in the comp. Simpkin playing some of his best footy in the same block. This is no coincidence, he chases hard, tackles to hurt and competes at every stoppage like it is his last. The suggestion he doesn't do much off the footy is ridiculous, routinely locking down tackles and running in the d50

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a gun. Not straight line quick but evasive. Reminds me of Kym Hodgeman for all the oldies who were around in the early 80s.

He's a gun. Not straight line quick but evasive. Reminds me of Kym Hodgeman for all the oldies who were around in the early 80s.
My first reaction was 'You're kidding?!' but on reflection Kym had a few moves. But Jy has him well covered for pace.

My first reaction was 'You're kidding?!' but on reflection Kym had a few moves. But Jy has him well covered for pace.

Kym had a great side step too and yes I'd say that Jy has him covered for speed but I see a lot of resemblance between the two

"There were deserved plaudits for the kid from Mooroopna, about 180km north of Melbourne, but Simpkin's coaches had a message: 'that's your standard now'.

"We challenged him that playing a couple of good games is not good enough – he needs to continue this form for the rest of the year," North Melbourne's midfield coach Jarred Moore told AFL.com.au."

Love it.:thumbsu:

Down week for Jy, which is a bit of a shame because he was flying.

One thing I noticed a lot of on the weekend was him getting sucked into the contest while his opponent sat at the back of the stoppage. Merrett and Parish got a lot of easy footy while playing on Jy.

Not sure if it was a stoppage setup issue or an awareness issue.

Down week for Jy, which is a bit of a shame because he was flying.

One thing I noticed a lot of on the weekend was him getting sucked into the contest while his opponent sat at the back of the stoppage. Merrett and Parish got a lot of easy footy while playing on Jy.

Not sure if it was a stoppage setup issue or an awareness issue.
Both those blokes have a bit of experience on Jy. I reckon he's a pretty good learner. And losing hurts him.

I haven't posted much for the past few weeks, just wanted to say that Simpkin has been sensational, making people like myself who suggested he may be a 'bust' look like idiots.

Yep, I put my hand up, I'll cop my fair whack, I thought he might be a bust, and I said as much, earlier in the season.

Sometimes we get things wrong. I think I got this one wrong. I hope so, anyway, and some of the evidence lately certainly suggests as much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back