Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Lindsay for some reason hasn't learnt that the umpires hate him just as much as the opposition fans do. Any chance they can they will ping him. He got booed by dogies fans in first 30 seconds before he even got a touch on the ball. I assume it must have been for the high tackle last time we played them and none of there players have ever tackled high before. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Lindsay for some reason hasn't learnt that the umpires hate him just as much as the opposition fans do. Any chance they can they will ping him. He got booed by dogies fans in first 30 seconds before he even got a touch on the ball. I assume it must have been for the high tackle last time we played them and none of there players have ever tackled high before. :drunk::drunk::drunk:
Racism?

No i think lindsay and brad haven't done us any favors with criticizing the men with the whistle. While the media have done a good job making him look like a flog. Either way arguing with the umps on field wont help win you any 50/50 calls. Lindsay needs to quit playing for frees and keep his mouth shut no matter what. I rate him as one of our best footballers who has lost his best form years ago and just cant get it back.

No i think lindsay and brad haven't done us any favors with criticizing the men with the whistle. While the media have done a good job making him look like a flog. Either way arguing with the umps on field wont help win you any 50/50 calls. Lindsay needs to quit playing for frees and keep his mouth shut no matter what. I rate him as one of our best footballers who has lost his best form years ago and just cant get it back.

Plenty of players argue or dispute umpire calls and get a pat on the bum as a result. Lindsay is simple an escape goat (TM Arthur).

Getting sick of the playing for frees and lack of discipline. Like the aggressive approach but kick the set shot goals or at least lay a crushing tackle. Too many body slaps and broken tackles.
Losing patience with him. Still would rather over nahas and i know choices are slim but geez really testing the faith right now

How the **** does this guy keep getting a game. Everyone knows that he's goes missing for a month (at least) after every good game.

I can't beleive we gave this guy 2 years and won't give Boomer 1. There is no way he is in our "5 year development plan"
Very valid point. One of my 431 mates calls LT - MH 370 - because he goes missing.

I was fine with Lindsay getting re-signed (despite personal preferences of trading him). BUT, why oh why did we offer him 2 years? Why couldn't we have given him a one-year deal? Especially given the fact he isn't exactly young, as well as having an erratic game and playing style (where his form and kicking can fluctuate badly).
Sometimes have no idea what on earth the club is thinking. Astounding decisions lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lindsay was as flat as a pancake tonight.

I think the sacking of his good mate Boomer really got to him tonight.
Spoke to him Friday afternoon.
He is shattered.
I've lost four brothers all at once and it's difficult.

Reaffirms my stance that the club changed its views on Boomer only recently and it's shocked the playing group.

That kick by Wells in the last was perfect and yet LT just went the man rather than the ball. Wasn't communicating with his teammates. Set shot technique gone to s**t. Just a bad patch of form that's hurting us.

That saying LT will be instrumental next year with no Boomer. 2013 Boom wasn't there for first six weeks and LT picked up the slack.

Spoke to him Friday afternoon.
He is shattered.
I've lost four brothers all at once and it's difficult.

Reaffirms my stance that the club changed its views on Boomer only recently and it's shocked the playing group.

That kick by Wells in the last was perfect and yet LT just went the man rather than the ball. Wasn't communicating with his teammates. Set shot technique gone to s**t. Just a bad patch of form that's hurting us.

That saying LT will be instrumental next year with no Boomer. 2013 Boom wasn't there for first six weeks and LT picked up the slack.
I really felt for him tonight.

He just was a shell of a bloke out there.

I think people misunderstand how much Lindsay loves playing footy with his mates and from the outside it looked like him and Boomer had a pretty tight bond.

This is why the timing of this fiasco is just ridiculous. We should be preparing for a finals campaign and instead we have a team that looks disheartened and disiilusioned.

I really felt for him tonight.

He just was a shell of a bloke out there.

I think people misunderstand how much Lindsay loves playing footy with his mates and from the outside it looked like him and Boomer had a pretty tight bond.

This is why the timing of this fiasco is just ridiculous. We should be preparing for a finals campaign and instead we have a team that looks disheartened and disiilusioned.
The photo Boomer shared of he and LT on Tuesday night on Instagram makes plenty of sense now.
These blokes are human and they're mates and how with a finals campaign in two weeks we left it this late to drop a bombshell like this is only anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Lindsay looks the world in the eye

From a quiet kid to an AFL star, North Melbourne forward Lindsay Thomas has come a long way

b3d89809bf109c442f7e66ce3e095ff2

ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun
September 9, 2016
b3d89809bf109c442f7e66ce3e095ff2

FOR five minutes, everyone forgot what they thought they knew about Lindsay Thomas.

It was Round 18 and the Kangaroos goalkicker had been brilliant in an important win over Collingwood.

The victory snapped a five-game losing streak and Thomas had kicked five.

But it soon became clear as Thomas was handed the Tissot that this wasn’t a standard post-match interview.

Eyes blinking, teeth biting down on lips, distress etched on his face, the footballer clearly had things other than football on his mind.

As Tim Watson asked him about an embrace with coach Brad Scott, Thomas bit on his lips again, eyes averted, took all of his powers to keep the tears at bay.

Thomas explained his uncle had died of cancer, and they’d buried him in Port Lincoln that day.

The raw interview floored many, including Seven’s Dennis Cometti who was sitting on the panel upstairs.

99cf60ffb2b0250a2a71ed230f7eb43d

Lindsay Thomas says he wears his heart on his sleeve. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

“You don’t know these people a lot of times,” said a clearly moved Cometti.

To many, Thomas is that guy who plays for frees. Perceived as a “ducker”, the reaction from rival crowds and the scrutiny by commentators is almost hostile.

But on that Friday night in late July, it was like the 28-year-old was seen for the first time.

“It was a hard week for me and my family because my uncle passed away of cancer going into the week of the game and he had the funeral that Friday of the game,” Thomas told the Herald Sun.

“It was pretty hard to take in, not being able to be home and pay my respects the way I wanted was a hard pill to swallow.

“The only way I could do that was play well and lucky enough I did.

“I didn’t realise the impact I made on a lot of people. It was overwhelming. I wanted to say thank you to everyone.

“That’s one thing I was happy about. A lot of people just see me as what the media put me out to be.”

Warren Clements has known Thomas all his life, from his earliest days in Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula, about eight hours’ drive from Adelaide.

ecd1bc1e9879c0bc2840f78b9bddcbcf

Lindsay Thomas speaking during a tough post match interview with Channel 7.

Clements, Thomas’ godfather, is vice-president of the Mallee Park Peckers, where Thomas played his footy before being plucked by North as an 18-year-old.

To say the club is successful is an understatement. It’s made 26 A-grade grand finals and won 16 of those. They’ve only missed the A-grade finals once.

The club has a habit of producing very good footballers — Eddie Betts, Daniel Wells and Shaun Burgoyne are also Mallee Park graduates playing in the big league.

Clements paints a picture of a close community, one of which Thomas is still very much a part.

“Lindsay was always involved in football or sports in some capacity,” Clements said.

“Either helping as a boundary umpire or goal umpire, a runner for the junior grades, he was always involved.

“He grew up with a footballing family, all his cousins — Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Graeme Johncock — they all played junior football together and all grew up together, going fishing … they were always together.”

Thomas has left Port Lincoln, but he hasn’t grown too big for it. He’s still the lad who likes to be involved.

“A couple of years ago he was the runner for the A-grade grand final,” Clements said.

No one knows how far Thomas has come more than his coach.

“He’s a star, Lindsay,” Scott said at that Round 18 game.

“The way he spoke at halftime — he directed the players and then went out and backed it up himself.

0e0847b4f4a0630d56d0d0a1a55b6a44

A young Lindsay Thomas with the North Melbourne 2006 draft class. Front: Lachlan Hansen and Gavin Urquhart. Back: Aaron Edwards, Todd Goldstein, Ben Warren and Thomas.

“When I first met Lindsay I couldn’t get two words out of him and now he’s holding court in meetings. He really is an inspiration to a lot of people.”

The bond between Scott and Thomas stems from a frank conversation they had when Scott first landed at the Kangaroos.

“I didn’t really know how to communicate properly with people, looking them in the eyes and that aspect of things,” Thomas tells the Herald Sun.

“He challenged me pretty early, he kind of put it on me.

“I’ve always said to him I want you to be honest with me and I’ll be honest with him.

“We’ve always had that pretty honest relationship. He’s kind of been that male figure in my life.

“He’s been a great influence in my footy career, but also away from footy.”

Thomas met his father, Lindsay Sr, for the first time only as he was entering his teenage years. His mum Glenys was his constant and older brother Corey his guide.

He was surrounded by a supportive extended family during his childhood; his uncle who passed away and also Fabian Davey, Harry Miller Sr, Joe Burgoyne, Peter Burgoyne Sr and Max, Roger and Andrew Thomas were just a few of his influences.

“I didn’t meet my dad until I was 12 or 13, that was probably a bit tough,” Thomas said.

“I was pretty lucky I had an older brother (Corey) as a father figure. He was the guy that got me going in the right direction and into footy.

“I always had a footy in my hand growing up and as soon as I watched my first game, I think I was about five or six, I always wanted to play.

bf831370ae3f8b586bad310dc8961ceb

Lindsay Thomas has a strong relationship with North coach Brad Scott. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

“I started at a footy club where we had some already made AFL players Byron Pickett and Peter Burgoyne in the ranks. We were pretty lucky; they’re relatives of mine and we had access to them.

“In terms of growing up you could say it was rough, but it was enjoyable as well.

“We always had a tight-knit group of cousins and mates.

“I’ve got a great family, a great family network. I always had that support from my mum and aunties and uncles as well.”

Fellow North Melbourne star Daniel Wells is one of Thomas’ best mates and they’re also related — their mothers are cousins.

“(Wells) and Boomer are the main two guys that have influenced my career,” Thomas said.

“Away from footy I can always go to Daniel’s house. My two girls (Hollie, 6, and Indie, 3) love him. His daughter loves me. Kind of like having two dads.”

Hollie and Indie love the footy club as much as their dad.

“They’re old enough now to understand what their dad does,” Thomas said.

“Hollie’s just started school and she always talks about how all the kids always talk about me.

40594b837a57b93e34ef2eaf8579fd5f

Lindsay Thomas says he is just another forward line pest. Picture: Getty Images.

“She just sees me as her dad … she’s pretty stoked, she collects the footy cards. All the kids do.”

Thomas is antagonistic on the field, and makes no apologies.

“I wear my heart on my sleeve, that’s just the way I am,” he said.

“I’m pretty passionate, I hate losing. I’m competitive.

“Sometimes it gets me in trouble, but I really don’t care what other people think of me, to be honest.

“As long as I’ve got the backing of the coach and my teammates, that’s all that matters.”

But while Thomas doesn’t care, he concedes he is sometimes affected by the constant dialogue and the roaring fans.

Thomas knows many boo because they reckon he plays for frees. They think he’s a ducker.

“Every small forward in the competition is a pest and I’m just North Melbourne’s pest and opposition supporters probably don’t like that,” he said.

“But it doesn’t really bother me. The commentators, that’s why they’re commentators, they have their opinions.

“I get disappointed sometimes when a few commentators ride me hard probably for uncertain reasons. When I say uncertain, they probably pick me out of the hat and label me as the ducking boy or the poster boy of the ducking issues.

“To get labelled as a ducker it does bother me a little bit, but it doesn’t really faze me, if that makes sense. I just play the game.”

Thought his season has been average, but I stand corrected. I think statistically he's on the money.

Maybe a little less sensational moments than in previous years. needs a big one tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back