Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

The Official Lindsay Thomas thread for 2007. Designated reporter is Arden.

Lindsay Thomas

Jumper No: 12
Height: 180.4cm
Weight: 76.4kg
DOB: 28/02/1988
Recruited From: Port Adelaide Magpies (SA) Originally from Mallee Park
Career Matches: 0
Career Goals: 0

My thoughts: Selected to play in round 1 against Collingwood, which I believe is a sign of how highly regarding Lindsay is down at Arden Street. Had a great pre-season through the NAB Cup games, kicking 8 goals, and I thought he was close to BOG in North's intra-club at Carrara.

Is obviously very quick, has great agility, can read the ball off the pack, and has silky skills. Showed in the pre-season that he, along with Matty Campbell are the type of players we have been longing for, to create goals from nothing, and apply defensive pressure to keep the ball in the forward line. May suffer slightly with the loss of Thompson, and no dominant big man in the forward line to bring the ball to ground, so may end up being a bit more of a target himself, but as he has shown, can take a mark.

Has all the tricks in the bag, and doesn't mind showing them off, but I think he knows when to keep them in the bag, something one D. Motlop didn't fully understand. Isn't massively built, but solid enough, and has played senior footy in the SANFL with Port, and played against men for Mallee Park which will hold him good stead.

At this stage of his career looks most likely as a HFF/forward pocket, but I think he will eventually end up in the midfield as he develops his engine. When first drafted I would have been happy if he played 1 game in 2007, but I think he is capable of playing 15 games this year, but may fade later in the year as the rigours of a long pre-season take their toll.

A real excitement machine, I feel that the arrival of Lindsay and Matt Campbell will bring some spark to our side, and hopefully bring punters through the gate.

We still have a reason to shout "Thommmooooo" in 2007 :thumbsu:

AFL Website 2007 Kangaroos Preview

Lindsay Thomas - Taken by the Roos with pick 53 in last year's NAB AFL Draft and comes from the same club in country South Australia (Mallee Park) as former Kangaroos star Byron Pickett. The indigenous Roos recruit plays crisp, instinctive football and may pop up on the selection-radar this season.

Round 1 Review:

Don't really know what to write, LT's game kind of mirrored that of the team. What could have been.

His trusty goal kicking from the pre-season let him down, with 5 straight (or is that crooked) behinds. Had a couple of shots early, both gettable, and his head seemed to drop a little missing both. On the TV, it appeared that he chased hard, and applied lots of forward 50 pressure which we need. Didn't seem to go up the ground much, stayed pretty close to home, and had his shots from all spots within 50, so moved around nicely. You would be happy he averaged 5 shots on goal every week, because you would back him to normally kick 3 of those, which ends up being a very, very handy year.

Ended up on Clement, which didn't work considering what the delivery in forward 50 deteriorated into later in the game. Was simply worked over a few times, by a taller, stronger and more experienced opponent. Would have to say his highlight of the day was his positioning in the last, to keep a defender away from Boomer (?), and allow him an uncontested mark inside 50. Very clever play, and not something you would normally expect from a first gamer.

All in all a pretty good showing, just let down by poor kicking, in a game where it proved costly. Just hope he bounces back from this, because he has Rising Star nomination written all over him by about Round 8.

Round 1 Rating: 6 (bad kicking is bad football)

Season Average: (reaches for calculator) 6

NMFC4LIFE

Team Captain
May 9, 2008
wallan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea,MVFC,Seahawks
Just wanted everyones thoughts on his season so far, i think his up and down form before friday nights when he finally hit his straps and showed us what he is capable of again has been a bit frustrating and consistency seems to be his worst enemy :confused:
For mine the big wrap he got after the first time we played collingwood this year where admittedly he had a ripper game may have gotten to his head and I think it looked like he started to believe his own hype a bit?
Though he and Matt campbell both have a good core group of senior players around them for guidance would like to see them do a bit more develomental work with the both of them thoughts guys? :cool:

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a much talked about topic and one that will surely take a beating by the more experienced posters on BF. While Thomas has been very much vital for our structure and pressure up forward, His lack of experience has lead to massive fluctuations of form- being possibly best on ground one week kicking four goals, running relentlessly and tackling/smothering, to being a ghost on the field, hardly contributing at all the next week. While this may be expected by a player that is playing in his second year, my concern is that when he has an 'off' game and can't contribute with the ball, his confidence seems to plummet drastically and he does not contribute with general pressure/defense or chasing/run which is often assumed as laziness.

On friday night, excluding possibly the first quarter, Thomas' hunger and run had evaporated and he practically contributed nothing (from memory) inside fifty in terms of chase/pressure. I see this as equally as important as him kicking goals, as it brings others into the play, generates momentum and cripples opposition morale.

While Thomas' season has been marred by inconsistency, Campbell- who plays practically the same role inside fifty- has had a very consistent year. While Campbell has had games where he hasn't kicked goals, he always manages to get up, run his heart out, chase, tackle and contribute to the team.

I am sure that as soon as Thomas achieves a bit more game experience, he will be able to mature and find himself unaffected by having a quiet game with the ball, able to contribute to the side in ways in which Campbell has already found himself doing.

Apr 28, 2001
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did you watch the game on TV or at the ground?
If you were at the ground you'd have noticed that Thomas played almost the entire second half in the midfield - indeed he was starting in the centre square.

I can't remember seeing this since one of his first games against Port Adelaide. While he didn't set the world on fire, he showed a bit... some really good in close clearance work and some fierce tackling.

I can't help thinking that his body looks far from mature, he looks like he doesn't have a huge tank and yet he seems to make things happen in the centre square. I have a hunch that he could evolve into a pretty special midfielder after a huge pre-season (or two).

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The kid has huge potential..............but let himself down a few times on Friday : eg a set shot from 40 that he shanked & didn't make the distance, and one time when he was chasing Dane Swann, and simply gave up.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

No, I wasn't at the ground, living in Tassie is a bit of a problem for that sort of thing. From what I saw on the tellie, Thomas' output was half-baked. While I can believe that sitting at the ground, able to see all the players and their movements, that Thomas was moving around well, from what I saw on the frame of the TV, was Thomas jogging across the wing and at times across half back while Collingwood players streamed into their forward fifty. Also remember a few occasions of Thomas jogging behind play when the ball is being rebounded out of the forward fifty ten meters away.

That is what I saw and I always pay as much attention to Thomas as possible to see how he is traveling. All I am saying is that it is disappointing for everyone- the players, the club, the supporters and most of all, himself- when he is lacking that bit of spark that confidence gives him.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thomas was excellent after half time, i agree putting him in the middle gets him in the game anbd forces him to work hard. He did some amazing clearance work, at one point he was surrounded by Pies, he grabbed the ball leapt full stretch and pin pointed a hand pass outside the cluster, this set-up a goal--displaying some amazing agility. When he and campbell run through the middle we look much more dangerous, it also allows us to cause some mis-matches in the forwardline.​

He's going well overall. He's removed that pathetic diving from his game and is looking much more dangerous. He now draws a top quality opponent and his effort to follow up a shanked set shot with an immediate snapshot goal in the second 1/4 was very pleasing.

Although he's got an "old head" he's just a kid who's been thrown into the deep end.

The Zebra

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Jun 29, 2004
Hung Like a Horse
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you were at the ground you'd have noticed that Thomas played almost the entire second half in the midfield - indeed he was starting in the centre square.

I can't remember seeing this since one of his first games against Port Adelaide. While he didn't set the world on fire, he showed a bit... some really good in close clearance work and some fierce tackling.

He went a long way to shaping the third quarter surge in the third quarter while in the midfield. His tackling was awesome, and kept stopping Collingwood pushing forward.

Really rated his work in there in the 3rd.

jacko57

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's going well overall. He's removed that pathetic diving from his game and is looking much more dangerous. He now draws a top quality opponent and his effort to follow up a shanked set shot with an immediate snapshot goal in the second 1/4 was very pleasing.

Although he's got an "old head" he's just a kid who's been thrown into the deep end.
If that's the case, we need someone to inform Goose-chen & co. It's obvious the umps regard him as the boy who cried wolf, and will not pay frees they would pay to 95% of the other players out there.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
If that's the case, we need someone to inform Goose-chen & co. It's obvious the umps regard him as the boy who cried wolf, and will not pay frees they would pay to 95% of the other players out there.

LT will never receive another free kick. He could be taken to with a pick axe and it would be waved play on. He'll have to deal with that.

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lt has been a big plus for us this year. Tagged with Flash, we are in an envied position of having two exciting little blokes who are contributing greatly in only their second seasons.

LT still has plenty to learn about his craft and develop better consistancy. But simply for me its been a long while since we have had so many new kids come in and actually shape football matches. Lindsay's last quarter against the pies in april and his fabulous goal vs Port we match winners, you can't ask much more from a kid.

Z_K

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor
Feb 21, 2002
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
lt has been a big plus for us this year. Tagged with Flash, we are in an envied position of having two exciting little blokes who are contributing greatly in only their second seasons.

LT still has plenty to learn about his craft and develop better consistancy. But simply for me its been a long while since we have had so many new kids come in and actually shape football matches. Lindsay's last quarter against the pies in april and his fabulous goal vs Port we match winners, you can't ask much more from a kid.

And the Hawthorn game. 3 big games, 3 important bursts from a genuine 2nd year player we picked in the 50's. Not sure what we expect from this kid and of course there are things he needs to work on, but I don't reckon we can ask for much more.

On Campbell, he keeps surprsing me. He is a ****ing belting footballer.

BlueRoos

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2007
Arden Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And the Hawthorn game. 3 big games, 3 important bursts from a genuine 2nd year player we picked in the 50's. Not sure what we expect from this kid and of course there are things he needs to work on, but I don't reckon we can ask for much more.

On Campbell, he keeps surprsing me. He is a ****ing belting footballer.

forgot about the Hawk's game, good call. :thumbsu:

Ditto with Campbell. Thought he would be handy as he has a big motor, but the way he has improved his reading/positioning and skills has been a massive bonus for us. Combine that with his pace and he now must be a player that comes in heavily on the radar for teams that play us. Anotehr rookie list gem.

Checkers

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2007
The MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Is anyone interested in a match worn Lindsay Thomas 2007 clash guernsey? I bought it of the auction site for a friend but she got another guys for herself so i was left with it. Comes with certificate of authenticity and all that stuff. Anyone interested PM me you will only pay what i payed for it.

macka11

Debutant
May 30, 2006
Perth Wa
AFL Club
North Melbourne
:confused::confused:is it just me or is Lindsay thomas lucky to be still playing in the ones i think he is a lazy free hunting player who has done little to hold his place in this team. I was amazed to see lower out of last weeks team his forward pressure has been good the times he has played but to watch the Hawthorn defenders just waltz out of defence as easy as they liked pissed me off no end often with a north player guarding space along side of them.
Smith,Jones,hale all pedestian at best once the ball hits the ground its out of there quick smart, I think essendon will be rubbing their hands with glee this week with the speed of their side and the way we deliver into our forward line it will be rebounding straight back to the other end. My wife asked me years ago who was my favourite North player and i said John Blakey because he wasnt flashy but rarely got beaten so she bought me number 12 north plates for my car since he retired their have been some shite players wear the number 12 and I think LT is one of them.

__aria__

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jan 18, 2008
Lost
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Daniel Harris
nah LT is going fine its the delivery and forward structure that is hurting all our forwards

Wells Train

Club Legend
Veteran North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor
Oct 9, 2006
a golf course somewhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Liverpool
:confused::confused:is it just me or is Lindsay thomas lucky to be still playing in the ones i think he is a lazy free hunting player who has done little to hold his place in this team. I was amazed to see lower out of last weeks team his forward pressure has been good the times he has played but to watch the Hawthorn defenders just waltz out of defence as easy as they liked pissed me off no end often with a north player guarding space along side of them.
Smith,Jones,hale all pedestian at best once the ball hits the ground its out of there quick smart, I think essendon will be rubbing their hands with glee this week with the speed of their side and the way we deliver into our forward line it will be rebounding straight back to the other end. My wife asked me years ago who was my favourite North player and i said John Blakey because he wasnt flashy but rarely got beaten so she bought me number 12 north plates for my car since he retired their have been some shite players wear the number 12 and I think LT is one of them.
Are u serious? Our forward line has barely functioned this year and campbell (barring missing about 6 goals he'd normally kick) are the only ones who look likely. I haven't seen the figures but he would nearly be leading the goal kicking. I think the likes of Hale, Edwards(when in the side) and Petrie need to do more to help out the strengths of these guys. Their cause is not helped of course by terrible ball movement. I would seriously think changing the mix of players who deliver to the forwards would benefit us greatly. Uruquart, Riggio, Harding, Wells and Harvey would be the guys through the middle that would help us. Even it it takes a year or 2 missing finals. We need to follow the mould of the recent good sides and play good kicks of the football. It makes all the difference

Back