Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so I'm the only one that thought his second half efforts helped us get back into the game.fair enough,I guess.

You're not the the only one

Ok so I'm the only one that thought his second half efforts helped us get back into the game.fair enough,I guess.

No you're not. After a very slow start where he seemed invisible he then improved as the game went on and apart from one serious error down back (that wasn't just dow to him) he kept us in it.

Anyone who thinks he is cooked has no clue, but it would have been a fair assumption 10 minutes into the second quarter. He won the ball repeatedly deep in the backline took players on and did stuff with it. Usually our defence struggled to get past the GC set up but LT took it on and beat it by attacking the lines in the back 50 and using the ball well. His field kicking looked so much better than anyone else during that last quarter and at one point I was thinking he must have 5 possessions in 5 entries into their forward 50. LT and Marley in the backline might make things very interesting.

Should not have played.
Well, they took 2 traveling emergencies, it seems the plan to rest Dumont was the real deal, Jacobs and Wright weren't fit enough to come back in yet, Nielson didn't fit structurally, so we're left with basically LT, Williams or Fordham.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe he is finished as a forward. Pretty tough going in to the backline after an entire career spent forward and no time eorking with the backline coaches etc. If his only chance to play AFL is only as a backman then play him there un the VFL if and when he is dropped.

Maybe he is finished as a forward. Pretty tough going in to the backline after an entire career spent forward and no time eorking with the backline coaches etc. If his only chance to play AFL is only as a backman then play him there un the VFL if and when he is dropped.

If he can keep the form he hit by the end of the game he will be great playing around the ground and off the backline. And he will hit targets. he looked so much better than so many other players in the last.

I've been trying to think why I thought LT was so good in the last and it has to be down to the speed of his decision making and his vision to find players who were in a position to get us clear and into attack.

We give this clown another 3 years.

And we force Brent Harvey to retire.

Who would you rather in the side ?

Lets call it another of Scotty's spectacular coaching moves....

He was our best player in the last quarter and the main reason we got back into the game in the last and he did it on the backline. In his second game in eight weeks and his first AFL game in nearly 3 months.

Brent Harvey wouldn't have done that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Because Boomer wouldn't have been rubbed out for hitting campaigners in the head. I love Lindsay, but his time as a North Melbourne footballer is done.

Thomas made faster, better decisions than most of the other players we had down back on the weekend. If he is done before any number of other players we'll go backwards even faster.

BTW Brent Harvey probably has served more time that LT in suspensions for hitting campaigners the head. Well hitting them anyway, i can't remember where. (If not its close and 2 of LT's last 3 suspensions have come for things that happen every week between other players and result in nothing more than a free.)

Thomas made faster, better decisions than most of the other players we had down back on the weekend. If he is done before any number of other players we'll go backwards even faster.
Yet he did * all for 3 quarters of a game. We know what we get with Thomas, and whilst his good is very good, we see his really s**t side the majority of the time. Move him on, let another player have a shot.

Leave him at half back for 3-4 matches and see how he goes.

The weekend was the first game I've seen this year but I imagine watching him on the backline was like watching Marley Williams. He seemed to play a similar way - dynamic and really looking to attack off the backline. Not just going thru the motions. Its the first time I've seen him out of the forward line and one of the best periods of footy i've seen him play. Williams and Thomas on the backline could be great together.

I genuinely thought that was it for LT at half time too - am giving him a get out of jail pass for the first half because he's played so little footy and might have struggled to get into the pace of the game.

He was our best player in the last quarter and the main reason we got back into the game in the last and he did it on the backline. In his second game in eight weeks and his first AFL game in nearly 3 months.

In fairness we got back into the game in the third due to manic forward pressure and locking the ball in their forward half. LT was as much part of getting us back into the game as Scott Thompson. He was ok playing loose for the back part of the game but it was nothing to write home about. With Williams and Wright (and evetntually EVW) to be available for selection he should not be getting a gig back there any time soon.

We give this clown another 3 years.

And we force Brent Harvey to retire.

Who would you rather in the side ?

Lets call it another of Scotty's spectacular coaching moves....
I guess you've never heard of contracts.

The music stopped in the second half of last year and the guys who finished were the ones out of contract. The older guys who played on were contracted.

And that second suspension was over the top. As is a lot of commentary on and reaction to LT.

He was called up last weekend to a role he has never played, and he put in and had a positive impact.

Harvey has zero to do with any of it.

Game was over in the last quarter. Yes we got a few goals in junk time that made the scoreboard look respectable.

But where was he the first half ? When we had a chance ?

Game was over in the last quarter. Yes we got a few goals in junk time that made the scoreboard look respectable.

But where was he the first half ? When we had a chance ?

The game is not over until the final siren goes. You might give up before the end. That is your choice.

I guess you've never heard of contracts.

The music stopped in the second half of last year and the guys who finished were the ones out of contract. The older guys who played on were contracted.

And that second suspension was over the top. As is a lot of commentary on and reaction to LT.

He was called up last weekend to a role he has never played, and he put in and had a positive impact.

Harvey has zero to do with any of it.

No worries H2H. I do know what a contract is.

Have you heard of Google ?

Use it.....You will come across an article last year where we gave Wood and Thomas contract extensions (4 years for Wood and 2 for Thomas).

A few months later, we told Boomer his services are no longer required.

So Boomer sort of does have something to do with it.

We could have had Boomer on low dollars playing on for another year.

Or Thomas for 2 more years.

I know who I would rather...

And that second suspension was a reckless and stupid act by Thomas. A raised elbow to fend of a tackle by a defender. Definitely not an act of a player desperate to get back in the ones and help his mates.

And having an impact in the backline last week. If he was kicking goals up forward (as small forwards do) and doing a good job of putting on pressure in the first place, he would never have been put in the black line.

Last edited:
First of all Lindsay as a 28yo just finished 2nd on our goal kicking. What club would sack a bloke after that when he has 2 years to run on his contract?

I don't know if some of you are just stupid or hate Lindsay that much or a combination of both but FFS Lindsay Thomas is not the reason Boomer didn't get offered another contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back