Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get how some supporters are so down on this bloke - sure he’s not as naturally gifted as others, but s**t he has a crack. His attack on the man and the ball is absolutely unconditional, always has been. It’s a credit to him that he gets up each week, considering the pounding he puts his body through.

He should be one of our favourites for that alone

He has played well, but I'd like to see us better utilise his spot going forward. I think we'd be a more rounded team with Guelfi in his position and bring in another midfielder/forward for rotation.

AFL player ratings are useful but not perfect. The same ratings put the following ahead of Heppell on the weekend (who will likely get our boards votes, the top AFL coaches votes and the 3 brownlow votes):
  • Myers
  • Walla
  • Parish
  • Guelfi
  • Dea
  • Langford
  • Hurley

and from GCS:
  • Holman
  • Martin

They are still vastly superior to the analysis you provided - raw counting stats - and the gut feel of forum members. It is also not terribly difficult to understand why Heppell may not have been the best player against the Suns - low disposal efficiency, high clangers and much of his best work was in the defensive midfield. Myers, by comparison, had high disposal efficiency and almost every touch he had was in an attacking position.

Returning to the topic though, the statistical likelihood of Baguley having actually outperformed Tippa, given the divergence in ranking points, is effectively zero. No reasonable assessment of Essendon could arrive at the conclusion that Baguley > Tippa as a forward this season.

He has played well, but I'd like to see us better utilise his spot going forward. I think we'd be a more rounded team with Guelfi in his position and bring in another midfielder/forward for rotation.
This is what I was trying to say.

I always have a soft spot for players like Baguley. They give everything of themselves week in and week out. They put their body on the line, sacrifice their own game, and all for the benefit of the team and their teammates. In the Grenvold mould. Just got on with his job with a minimum of fuss.

Most are focused on the collective youth policy obsession. Few are looking at what Baguley is doing well. He’s great overhead for someone his size, his pressure is high and he’s hitting the scoreboard.

Way in front of Green and Colyer. He isn’t getting games because he’s a loyal servant, he’s getting them because he’s currently in our best 22.

I’d keep Long in for Colyer, and am certainly keen to find a way for Ridley and Francis to get on the park. But that’s just part of picking the best team.

The position that Baguley plays now rather than two months ago, believe it or not.
i'm challenging the idea that players have 'fixed positions'. it sounds stupid but players play the positions that they're played in. two months ago baguley was a back pocket and competing with the other players for a position in the backline. then he was played in the forward line at which point he magically becomes a forward. i don't believe he does anything in the forward line that we couldn't get from laverde if we played played him there. am i making sense? football position is not a biological category, we can use baguley's 'role' as a development spot, in my opinion to better benefit the team now and into the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm challenging the idea that players have 'fixed positions'. it sounds stupid but players play the positions that they're played in. two months ago baguley was a back pocket and competing with the other players for a position in the backline. then he was played in the forward line at which point he magically becomes a forward. i don't believe he does anything in the forward line that we couldn't get from laverde if we played played him there. am i making sense? football position is not a biological category, we can use baguley's 'role' as a development spot, in my opinion to better benefit the team now and into the future.
Laverde’s form in the seniors this year has been on the scheisse side of scheizenhausen...

Laverde has been s**t is your explanation.

LaMerde? And Baguley has been good. Always providing an option, creating contests and kicking goals. He has been surprisingly good.

Interestingly, “verde” is green in Italian. Is Laverde just a good looking Josh Green?

LaMerde? And Baguley has been good. Always providing an option, creating contests and kicking goals. He has been surprisingly good.

This is the latest time I've seen it posted so apologies, but who are the players that don't create contests?

It's always a reason to higights someone's performance. There must be a long line of AFL players who I miss completely who don't create contests and who are out marked more than 50% of the time.

I'd have Hooker as the leading pack buster of the competition, the opportunities he creates forward seemed to lead to scores as much as anyone.

I can't say that I notice many more players who stand out as cresting contests.

I don’t get how some supporters are so down on this bloke - sure he’s not as naturally gifted as others, but s**t he has a crack. His attack on the man and the ball is absolutely unconditional, always has been. It’s a credit to him that he gets up each week, considering the pounding he puts his body through.

He should be one of our favourites for that alone

I agree. Thought he had run his race but I am pleased with what he is bringing now. Kicking a few goals and pressure is good. We need players who can play a role. He does.

The evidence says right now based on Laverde and his form in the last 10 or so AFL games is he does not bring what Bags currently is.
Potentially he should be better than Bags but he has to prove he can do it. His last few games had no pressure at all.

This is the latest time I've seen it posted so apologies, but who are the players that don't create contests?

It's always a reason to higights someone's performance. There must be a long line of AFL players who I miss completely who don't create contests and who are out marked more than 50% of the time.

I'd have Hooker as the leading pack buster of the competition, the opportunities he creates forward seemed to lead to scores as much as anyone.

I can't say that I notice many more players who stand out as cresting contests.

I notice and respect Baguleys desperation to compete everytime the ball is near him - even when he knows he is going to loose. Laverde switches on when he thinks he can win the contest and switches off when he thinks he might not make it. And that is the reason why seemingly weaker players are picked over guys like Laverde.

Langford did his apprenticeship and waited for a spot to open up with Jobe's retirement.
Laverde can do the same. Tools are there, the effort has been underwhelming.
May need to do a similar thing that Langford did and work on his midfield game with a view to taking over when Myers needs to be replaced.

As for Bags. Love his presence. There is no one in the VFL ready to take his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back