Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Have been a fan of Baguley since first watching him vs Box Hill in Box Hill 2012 and, apart from the odd brain fart, he's been consistent.

A good solid Franga boy.

I want a 100+ game career from Baggers.
He should get there before the end of the year.

On a night when he was at his deplorable worst BT did come out with one cracker: "Baguley things".

Sums Baguley up perfectly.

Attempting a don't argue he is not capable of, always falling into an opponent's back back, taking a great intercept mark, a desperate tackle and flying for a mark and failing to impact the contest are some of what I think about when I think of "Baguley things".

On a night when he was at his deplorable worst BT did come out with one cracker: "Baguley things".

Sums Baguley up perfectly.

Attempting a don't argue he is not capable of, always falling into an opponent's back back, taking a great intercept mark, a desperate tackle and flying for a mark and failing to impact the contest are some of what I think about when I think of "Baguley things".

Just an old fashioned scrapper.

Does anyone attack the ball harder than Baggers? Gun
Sometimes, though, I think he could be a little more circumspect in not going for marks that he clearly won't take and thus, leaving his opponent free to waltz through.

You can't fault his endeavour and determination, that's for sure.

One of our least problems at the moment. I really like him, not because he is the most skilled player, but because he gives it his best. More than serviceable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better hope Bags goes around again next year because it looks likely that Pops might pull the plug and weren't exactly flush with small close checking defenders with AFL experience.

Bags has had a cracking year to date so no reason why he can't go around again but I'm not sold on either McNiece or Morgan as viable options. Neither are close checking defenders and are untried at senior level against quality matchups.

Better hope Bags goes around again next year because it looks likely that Pops might pull the plug and weren't exactly flush with small close checking defenders with AFL experience.

Bags has had a cracking year to date so no reason why he can't go around again but I'm not sold on either McNiece or Morgan as viable options. Neither are close checking defenders and are untried at senior level against quality matchups.
McNiece isn't close checking?

McNiece isn't close checking?
Unproven against quality smalls at the higher level.

From the small sample size against AFL quality players he has been found wanting. Obviously thats a small sample size but it's an obvious risk to our make up that we don't have cover.

Small forwards have always cut us up in the past and I think Bags has been the only genuinely good lock down defender we have had for a long time.

I know you don't rate Bags but surely you must have some concerns about that role?

Unproven against quality smalls at the higher level.

From the small sample size against AFL quality players he has been found wanting. Obviously thats a small sample size but it's an obvious risk to our make up that we don't have cover.

Small forwards have always cut us up in the past and I think Bags has been the only genuinely good lock down defender we have had for a long time.

I know you don't rate Bags but surely you must have some concerns about that role?
He played on Will Hoskin-Elliott and Jay Kennedy-Harris, both of whom failed to kick a goal. How is that been found wanting?

He played on Will Hoskin-Elliott and Jay Kennedy-Harris, both of whom failed to kick a goal. How is that been found wanting?
Eth I have watched plenty of him at VFL level as have you and I don't think he's a replacement for Bags. If you disagree thats fine.

"If" he doesn't work out which in my opinion is actually more likely than less likely considering he's a rookie listed player that has been out injured for a while now and is still unproven!

If you don't think that is a risk then you need to open your eyes!

Eth I have watched plenty of him at VFL level as have you and I don't think he's a replacement for Bags. If you disagree thats fine.

"If" he doesn't work out which in my opinion is actually more likely than less likely considering he's a rookie listed player that has been out injured for a while now and is still unproven!

If you don't think that is a risk then you need to open your eyes!
I'm just confused by your assertion that he's not close checking and that he failed at AFL level. I said that he won't work out.

Oh, so you are choosing to pick out whats irrelevant and not actually address what I was saying.

Do you argue with yourself in the mirror?
I picked out the things I disagreed with. What am I supposed to do, talk about the points that we've hashed over 1000 times or the points I don't care about?

This is about 8% relevant but I could keep Jay Kennedy-Harris goalless on pingers with my pants around my ankles.
Dude is a potaato
I didn't want to be disrespectful to young Jay Kennedy-Harris but he's not what I meant by proven AFL quality small forwards.

Eth has other ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back