Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets a game on ANZAC Day, I’ll be really disappointed. Logically, it should be Baguley and Ham omitted for Zaharakis and Smith. If the club is omitting Ridley or Guelfi instead of Baguley, it is sending the wrong message to the young players. Baguley has provided nothing that a resting midfielder would provide. Can only imagine him giving away 6 more dumb free kicks again with his lack of football IQ.

If he didn’t play another game after yesterday he’d still finish as a 129 game player who did his job. For a no-name, mature age pick from a state league, that’s job done in my book.
Gives his all every time he plays...that has to be respected.

Better talents have had far less substantial careers because they just weren’t hard enough for AFL footy. Say what you will (I think he’s cooked) but Bags has been a warrior.

Gives his all every time he plays...that has to be respected.

Better talents have had far less substantial careers because they just weren’t hard enough for AFL footy. Say what you will (I think he’s cooked) but Bags has been a warrior.
Yep don’t think anyone has questioned his heart and perseverance through his career, anyone saying he has been a spud his whole career would be dead wrong.

There is no way whatsoever he should be playing this week. We wasted 7 games on Josh Green last year and then delisted him. 7 games for someone you delisted. Blind Freddy could see that one. What were the guys thinking. Same here.

There is no way known he is going on next year and at the numbers he is currently putting up he should retire mid week. Pick any of Mynott, Mosquito, Ham, Witches hat and play them forward.

9 touches, 2.4 tackles, and 0.8 goals a game.

He's had a great career and was a good player for a few years but a slight loss of pace means he's a liability out there.

I must watch a different player. Yes he *s up, like every other player on the list, but it's his commitment, his willingness to do the dirty work, attack on the ball/man which gets him a game every single week. Did any of you watch his current coach play ? Mark Baguely is a smaller version of him.
Amuses/disgusts me how some are almost dying to be rid of him.

I must watch a different player. Yes he ****s up, like every other player on the list, but it's his commitment, his willingness to do the dirty work, attack on the ball/man which gets him a game every single week. Did any of you watch his current coach play ? Mark Baguely is a smaller version of him.
Amuses/disgusts me how some are almost dying to be rid of him.
It's not his efforts that are the problem but his outputs. Mark Baguley in 2014 was quite a good player, Mark Baguley of 2019 is not and it's not a personal affront to Bags to concede this. Geelong & Hawthorn had no trouble moving their senior players on after they could no longer justify their selections on current form and we need to adopt the same approach if we want to be successful. Baguley is having minimal impact on games while our young forwards are killing it in the VFL.

It's not his efforts that are the problem but his outputs. Mark Baguley in 2014 was quite a good player, Mark Baguley of 2019 is not and it's not a personal affront to Bags to concede this. Geelong & Hawthorn had no trouble moving their senior players on after they could no longer justify their selections on current form and we need to adopt the same approach if we want to be successful. Baguley is having minimal impact on games while our young forwards are killing it in the VFL.

Who are we replacing Bags with? Laverde would not have any goals if he played like that at AFL level. Begley would be the one but needs some more fitness. Ditto Mozzie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are we replacing Bags with? Laverde would not have any goals if he played like that at AFL level. Begley would be the one but needs some more fitness. Ditto Mozzie.
This is the sticking point. I think the coaches have a very specific idea of the role and who they want to play it (even if we don’t agree). When Laverde and especially Begley are fit enough again it will be interesting how long Bags lasts if his current form doesn’t improve.

I think he’s survived the last few weeks because he gives his all and they don’t see a ready replacement in the VFL.

I don’t really agree but I think that’s how they see it.

For Bags to be effective he needs to be playing right on the edge. Pressure and toughness are his strengths and hopefully that is enough to force a turnover or a goal for others. Kicks the odd goal himself but probably not enough and will not likely kick a bag , pardon the pun.

Just do not want form to drop off to a point where frustration takes over. 6 frees against is bad, I can cop a couple as his natural game lends to giving away a few frees. Better up forward than down back for it to happen and will be interested to watch and see where we go with him going forward.

Equal 161st for average tackles this season
Equal 123rd for total tackles this season

Equal 92nd for average tackles I50 this season
Equal 68th for total tackles I50 this season

And those averages are for players who have played 2 or more games. If a player has only had 1 game and had 3 (1 inside 50) or more tackles he's ahead of Baguley for the averages

And those averages are for players who have played 2 or more games. If a player has only had 1 game and had 3 (1 inside 50) or more tackles he's ahead of Baguley for the averages
Across the entire league of 800 or so players? Of which 493 have played a game so far this year?

Across the entire league of 800 or so players? Of which 493 have played a game so far this year?
Take away the ones that have played a solitary game (I don't know how many that would be) like Ham.
He's currently equal tenth for tackles at Essendon this season.
Which is a worry in itself. Look at a couple of players that are mostly in for their pressure:

Paul Puopolo: 19 tackles (equal 3rd at Hawthorne), 3.8 on average (equal 5th). 11 tackles I50 (1st), 2.2 on average (1st).
Jason Castagna: 22 tackles (equal 2nd), 4.4 on average (3rd). 7 tackles I50 (equal 1st), 1.4 on average (3rd)

I don't particularly rate either of these players but they're streets ahead of Baguley in terms of pressure. A player who's schtick is forward pressure shouldn't be outside the top 100 tacklers in the league, let alone the top 150. Not to mention outside the top 50 of tackles inside 50.

Honestly who cares

You have to remember they have an order of players for each part of the ground. As much as you and I think Dev could play the same role he is not in the small forward selection group. We will just have to wait and see what happens when Laverde and Begley are fit enough to be selected which is likely to be 2 or 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back