Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
There will be a lot 'I told you so's' in this thread. But it is important to remember that those arguing that he should be dropped are basing that few on a relatively large sample of games.

A very good performance doesn't really change that because we know, from experience, that the good or even average performances are increasingly rare.

ChampTurboBucko

All Australian
Jul 17, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Bruno kelvin and Calyam. That’s a Bags hattrick.

Just admit it guys, it will be good for your souls. He played okay today and did his job. Stop shifting your goalposts. It doesn’t make him amazing and nor should it superproof his selection forever. It was also a genuinely decent effort and these little snipes just make you look like sour graped bores.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
There will be a lot 'I told you so's' in this thread. But it is important to remember that those arguing that he should be dropped are basing that few on a relatively large sample of games.

A very good performance doesn't really change that because we know, from experience, that the good or even average performances are increasingly rare.

Wait a second, how is it a very good performance?

A joe the goose, an uncontested mark in the square and a questionable free kick makes for a very good performance now?

What about the rest of the time in play he was useless?

1556181940108.jpeg

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
His first half was terrible but sorry haters his second half was very good. Part of being a small forward is getting in the right positions to kick those 'cheapies'. He's clearly still 3rd in line for that small forward role and Fantasia coming back won't make him lose his spot.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Bruno kelvin and Calyam. That’s a Bags hattrick.

Just admit it guys, it will be good for your souls. He played okay today and did his job. Stop shifting your goalposts. It doesn’t make him amazing and nor should it superproof his selection forever. It was also a genuinely decent effort and these little snipes just make you look like sour graped bores.
As realistic as it gets. Nail on head. ( particularly the shifting goal post part )

scottmclaren

All Australian
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
He does what he can and it benefits the team.

He may not win many contests and earn a stat but he does break even and force a stoppage most of the time.

At times last year Laverde offered this with presence around the contest so he could force his way in if he can drive himself to every contest, but Bags deserves some credit for this.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
His lack of pace will become reasonably obvious as the year goes on.

Love his commitment - but I stand by my comment that it's time to go.

Back