Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I just love how happy he looks, like he cant believe what hes doing up there each week.

Think i was a bit harsh on him saying hes up there just to teach defensive standards, doing very well.

i'm challenging the idea that players have 'fixed positions'. it sounds stupid but players play the positions that they're played in. two months ago baguley was a back pocket and competing with the other players for a position in the backline. then he was played in the forward line at which point he magically becomes a forward. i don't believe he does anything in the forward line that we couldn't get from laverde if we played played him there. am i making sense? football position is not a biological category, we can use baguley's 'role' as a development spot, in my opinion to better benefit the team now and into the future.
Seems weird to have like 3-5 draft positions and go 'uh... forward, mid sized forward... small defender...' A good player can be a good player in a lot of positions. Sure they can absolutely succeed somewhere but it's insane to draft some bloke who is 5'9 and is a 'shut down defender' and that's all.

His goal where he was the hit up target about 70m out fed it off quickly and burnt his opponent off getting back to the fall of a dangerous position and ended with a handball out and quick snap, was as impressive forward play as any through the night. Absolute 100% commitment and gut running, and being clever at the same time.

They simply have to sign him up again. Kicks goals, leads up at the footy all day and his pressure is great. Good sides need good team players and this bloke is one.

Jump on the AFL app tracker and check out total sprint and repeat sprint efforts. He is almost always first for the former and top 5 for the latter. Beyond the standard measurable stats, which he is performing very well in mind you, his team work ethic is enormous. Not only leading up to receive the ball, but creating space for our other forwards, then when the ball is turned over he is applying fantastic pressure. I was critical of his move forward the first week, but each following one he's just looked more and more at home. So impressed.

He took a mark about 50m out, cleverly spun around seeing an open goal square knowing he's not the longest kick, and kicked the goal. Yet he cleared the goal line by a couple metres. Since when has he been able to do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He took a mark about 50m out, cleverly spun around seeing an open goal square knowing he's not the longest kick, and kicked the goal. Yet he cleared the goal line by a couple metres. Since when has he been able to do that?
True but that was also Raz. The great man knew Bags was going to struggle to get the distance, led up the corridor and dragged the deepest defender away from the goalsquare to give him a better chance*.

I mean, he probably wanted Bags to pass him the ball too, but this was the effect of the lead.

True but that was also Raz. The great man knew Bags was going to struggle to get the distance, led up the corridor and dragged the deepest defender away from the goalsquare to give him a better chance*.

I mean, he probably wanted Bags to pass him the ball too, but this was the effect of the lead.

Its stuff like that we weren't doing early days. There was no selfless running opening spaces for others. The last few weeks, skill errors aside, we have been for the majority selfless, on Friday night was as well as we have played in a long time.

Would love to see him have the odd centre bounce and beat up on these young kids coming into the AFL. Genuine manic attack on the ball and the player is brilliant
I'm more interested in occasionally having him as the deepest forward. His best trait is his overhead marking and we should try and exploit it more. Particularly given we're not really running around with power forwards at the moment.

According to Barrett on the footy show he's been made aware that we are "vigorously" targeting shiel and other quality players and his future depends on if we land those players. Contract on hold.

Thought he's done some good work this season tbh.
His contract shouldn’t depend on that, he’s earnt another season imo. Plenty I’d delist ahead of him right now.

His contract shouldn’t depend on that, he’s earnt another season imo. Plenty I’d delist ahead of him right now.

I think if it comes to landing a top line player i can understand it.

Found it interesting though because as you said he's earnt another season. But if you are aggressively targeting others, someone else will fall out of favor.

You'd think if his contract is on the line there'd be a few others in the same situation. Similar things said about Goddard's retention. Besides all that, Baguley has probably been on year to year contracts for a while now. One of my favourite players, hard-nosed and selfless, but the reality is the reality nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back