5 Mitchell
6 Gaff
7 Hurn
8 Sheppard
9 Wellingham ?
10 Mcgovern
11 Barrass
12 Schofield ?

This is just how i worked through it forward line to defense not order of best players
So who are the 12 lock ins . I was wrapped to hear that comment By Longmuir that 10 spots are up for grabs . I must admit we didnt have a lot of pressure for spots last year .
10 spots up for grabs
1 lecras
2 Hill
3 Cripps
4 Masten
5 Yeo
6 Hutchings
7 Giles
8 Sheed
9 Butler
10 Redden
Those seriously pushing for the 10 spots
Duggan , Nelson ,Jetta ,Vardy ,Cole , Petrie ,Lamb ,Rioli , Karp , Parto , Gorter ,Rotham ,Mutimer ,McIness , Venables, will rocket into contention as his body recovers from his injuries .
Very surprised if Watson , Waterman , Tarir Blalok , Allen , Brophy Play a game this year .

Last edited:

1 Kennedy
2 Darling
3 Shuey
4 Priddis
5 Mitchell
6 Gaff
7 Hurn
8 Sheppard
9 Wellingham
10 Mcgovern
11 Barrass
12 Sheed as 12th ? Or Giles in Ruck
This is just how i worked through it forward line to defense not order of best players
So who are the 12 lock ins . I was wrapped to hear that comment By Longmuir that 10 spots are up for grabs . I must admit we didnt have a lot of pressure for spots last year .
I think you're being a bit stiff on Cripps. As of right now he has got to be a walk up starter, obviously he will have pressure to keep his place but he'll walk straight in.

FB: Sheppard - Barrass - Hurn
HB: Wellingham - Gov - ?
C: Gaff - Priddis - ?
HF: ? - Darling - ?
FF: ? Kennedy - Cripps
R: ? - Shuey - Mitchell
Int: ? ? ? ?

Shows that there is stability down back - which is great.
Schofield, Emac, Butler are experienced players who will be fighting for a spot, probably with Wellingham as well.
With Cole and a few others coming through the ranks.

Midfield core is strong, it's the large group of next level players that need to step up (Sheed, Duggan, Yeo, Redden, Jetta, Masten, Hutchings, Venables, Karpany and Partington) and fight for their place.

The forward line could be completely different come year end.
Kennedy and Darling the absolute locks with Cripps the only confident small player I can think of.
Hill, LeCras will be under pressure each week from Venables, Yeo, Lamb, Rioli, Allen, Waterman.

I maintain this could be a great year of change at West Coast where hopefully we get some surprises from our youth.

I was struggling to get passed 10 that I considered lock ins.

Hurn ? ?
Sheppard McGovern Wellers
Gaff Priddis ?
Darling ? ?
? Kennedy ?

? Mitchell Shuey
????

Defence
  • Schofield is no certainty. McKenzie, Schofield and Barrass will fight out the 2nd tall with Barrass looking the goods for me and a question over whether we play each week a genuine 3rd tall or get Yeo or Sheppard to play that role.
  • Butler has had a great couple of years but Cole, Duggan, Nelson, another, etc will push him. We would benefit from some genuine leg speed in defence so the smaller defender is really open.
Midfielders
  • Outside is a question of Jetta, Masten, possibly Lamb, Duggan, Rotham, or another. Apart from Gaff on one wing, the other wing is really open
  • There are a couple of inside mids or forwards that can take decent rotations. Candidates are Sheed, Hutchings, Cripps, Yeo, Masten, Redden, Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Partington, Venables, ... From what I expect and what I have seen at pre-season training, both Duggan and Sheed look to be putting their hands up highest.
Forwards
  • 2 talls in Kennedy and Darling with the likes of Vardy, Petrie, McInnes (not likely), etc to push for the relieving ruckman who plays forward.
  • Smaller forward left are Hill and Le Cras. Cannot realistically say either are favourites to win the spots. Suggest both will be given a start in the role and hope that Partington, Rioli, Duggan, Yeo, etc put enough pressure on to say pick me.
I will be very keen to see the make up of the NAB cup teams. Interesting that the concerns people had with both the Crows and Suns NAB games continued to surface throughout 2016. We have a cadre of players from Sheed down to the new draftees that look like a few are ready to break out. Lets hope it comes to fruition and not just a dream that they will be better.

Last year more than anything it was the worst 3-4 players in our best 22 who killed us. For example when Jetta was lolly gagging around like and old moll, Redden.. Mitch Brown in his epic last game for us. Week in week out carrying players who couldn't impact the game. Not only do we need to find quality AFL players to fill those gaps we also need 5+ AFL quality players playing for (and killing it) for East Perth. That will put the whole squad on its toes.

Last year more than anything it was the worst 3-4 players in our best 22 who killed us. For example when Jetta was lolly gagging around like and old moll, Redden.. Mitch Brown in his epic last game for us. Week in week out carrying players who couldn't impact the game. Not only do we need to find quality AFL players to fill those gaps we also need 5+ AFL quality players playing for (and killing it) for East Perth. That will put the whole squad on its toes.
The last 10 players could have played better is what Longmuir was hinting at I would say . I would agree with him and yes the worst 3-4 players in our 22 fell off a cliff last year

I was struggling to get passed 10 that I considered lock ins.

Hurn ? ?
Sheppard McGovern Wellers
Gaff Priddis ?
Darling ? ?
? Kennedy ?

? Mitchell Shuey
????

Defence
  • Schofield is no certainty. McKenzie, Schofield and Barrass will fight out the 2nd tall with Barrass looking the goods for me and a question over whether we play each week a genuine 3rd tall or get Yeo or Sheppard to play that role.
  • Butler has had a great couple of years but Cole, Duggan, Nelson, another, etc will push him. We would benefit from some genuine leg speed in defence so the smaller defender is really open.
Midfielders
  • Outside is a question of Jetta, Masten, possibly Lamb, Duggan, Rotham, or another. Apart from Gaff on one wing, the other wing is really open
  • There are a couple of inside mids or forwards that can take decent rotations. Candidates are Sheed, Hutchings, Cripps, Yeo, Masten, Redden, Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Partington, Venables, ... From what I expect and what I have seen at pre-season training, both Duggan and Sheed look to be putting their hands up highest.
Forwards
  • 2 talls in Kennedy and Darling with the likes of Vardy, Petrie, McInnes (not likely), etc to push for the relieving ruckman who plays forward.
  • Smaller forward left are Hill and Le Cras. Cannot realistically say either are favourites to win the spots. Suggest both will be given a start in the role and hope that Partington, Rioli, Duggan, Yeo, etc put enough pressure on to say pick me.
I will be very keen to see the make up of the NAB cup teams. Interesting that the concerns people had with both the Crows and Suns NAB games continued to surface throughout 2016. We have a cadre of players from Sheed down to the new draftees that look like a few are ready to break out. Lets hope it comes to fruition and not just a dream that they will be better.

I would add in Cripps and LeCras to your 10. My opinion on who the coaches have as locks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're being a bit stiff on Cripps. As of right now he has got to be a walk up starter, obviously he will have pressure to keep his place but he'll walk straight in.
I think Cripps is a walk up start, doesn't he lead the club for goal assists last year? Otherwise a good list.
I would add in Cripps and LeCras to your 10. My opinion on who the coaches have as locks.

These boys know what's going on. :thumbsu:

Follow the pacey and explosive footballers. It seems our recruiting department has caught on with Venables

Jeez .... haven't seen (heard) that expression for years ......... what exactly does "lolly gagging around" mean?

Shuey
Kennedy
Gaff
Priddis
Hurn
McGovern
Mitchell
Sheppard
Barrass
Schofield
Sheed
Darling

Thats my 12. Goes off by who performed well and deserves to be a walk up from last year. There are two exceptions to that. Darling just because the next best behind him isn't that great and Sheed because he is pure class and we severely missed him last season. Cripps is my honourable mention dues to Darling. I'd say the club has LeCras in there.

This is just s**t talk from the coaches to give some of the "No Chance In Hell" players some hope. Our side is pretty settled with about 2 spots realistically up for grabs and I hope one of em is Masten.
If that's the case * the coaching staff and match committee, because that's a disgrace. As Xsess has stated we carried way too many players that didn't impact the game. It's a surprise we won 16 games. We honestly must have had the least amount of players do the work of all clubs last year. Pathetic. The Match Committee and coaching staff are there to do a job and pick players on their current form not give interest on players that have "money in the bank". Given there was no pressure from East Perth last season, but * me there's a s**t ton of players who'd need to put in a huge preseason who played regularly to earn the right to cash that cheque.

Shuey
Kennedy
Gaff
Priddis
Hurn
McGovern
Mitchell
Sheppard
Barrass
Schofield
Sheed
Darling
MASTEN

Thats my 12. Goes off by who performed well and deserves to be a walk up from last year. There are two exceptions to that. Darling just because the next best behind him isn't that great and Sheed because he is pure class and we severely missed him last season. Cripps is my honourable mention dues to Darling. I'd say the club has LeCras in there.
; )

raw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back