Remove this Banner Ad

12 - cutler.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Last Game Played: Round 13, 2022 (omit)
Injury Status: Should be available to play this weekend - 20/7
Quad strain, "standard" injury, will miss about 4 weeks - 29/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:
I like Cutler. He has good speed and skills but for me his biggest pitfall is his one way running. If that can be stamped out I feel he can definitely be best 22.

I personally don't see him starting in the AFL team. I like what he could become but with Zaharakis, McGrath and then hopefully one of our 2019 HBF's transition up to the wing, he could be fighting an uphill battle to start in the AFL.

He is good depth that cost us nothing and with being young enough to develop, could transition into an AFL standard wingman with the right coaching.

I personally don't see him starting in the AFL team. I like what he could become but with Zaharakis, McGrath and then hopefully one of our 2019 HBF's transition up to the wing, he could be fighting an uphill battle to start in the AFL.

He is good depth that cost us nothing and with being young enough to develop, could transition into an AFL standard wingman with the right coaching.
I'd start him ahead of Zaka.

I wouldn't!

A 200 game AFL player over a guy who couldn't establish himself in a lesser midfield group (in 2018) and again this year.

Zaka had 1 good game this year and Brisbane's midfield absolutely shits on ours.

I wouldn't!

A 200 game AFL player over a guy who couldn't establish himself in a lesser midfield group (in 2018) and again this year.

Zaharakis is a decent B grade player, he's hardly a 200 game star of the EFC.

McCluggage is a better wingman than Zaharakis by quite a margin, and Mitch Robinson had Zaharakis covered in pretty well every single stat category as well as being an absolute physical animal to support a young side.

I like Zaharakis but he's not the future.

Zaharakis is a decent B grade player, he's hardly a 200 game star of the EFC.

McCluggage is a better wingman than Zaharakis by quite a margin, and Mitch Robinson had Zaharakis covered in pretty well every single stat category as well as being an absolute physical animal to support a young side.

I like Zaharakis but he's not the future.

The football club have quite publicly stated that it is the here and now they are working on.

IF Tommy Cutler can show he runs both ways then he should easily be able to overtake David on the wing/half back but as of right now, you would have to expect Zaka to be starting ahead of the young recruit.

The football club have quite publicly stated that it is the here and now they are working on.

IF Tommy Cutler can show he runs both ways then he should easily be able to overtake David on the wing/half back but as of right now, you would have to expect Zaka to be starting ahead of the young recruit.

There's 2 wing positions, I'd say Zaharakis & Cutler are the starting pair the coaches have pencilled in at present. Redman / McKenna will likely start off the HB line still and McGrath isn't a good outside player.

FWIW, Cutler's best year (2018) couldn't even earn himself a finish in the top 10 of his club's best and fairest award despite said club finishing in the lower rungs of the AFL ladder.

The group think that he is set to come in and be some sort of saviour is bewildering.

I wouldn't!

Um, he played 18 games in 2018. Also Brisbane's midfield is probably top 6 in the AFL, ours is middle 6 at best. Zaharakis is well past his best, ideally he'd be a "mentor" at VFL level for the next 2 seasons.

Was going to say exactly the same thing.

Delist Brown.
Play Cuts ahead of Zaka.
Not immediately dismissive of Phillips.

I don't know who this new ethan is but I'm liking it.
I'm not advocating Brown getting cut, I'm just saying it's a possibility. List spots are tight, kinda wish we could have traded Laverde, that would have made it much easier on us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's 2 wing positions, I'd say Zaharakis & Cutler are the starting pair the coaches have pencilled in at present. Redman / McKenna will likely start off the HB line still and McGrath isn't a good outside player.
No way. Two one way runners in the same team?
The more i think about it the less impressed i am by this trade. If he was two years younger i would totally get it but at 25 how realistic are they being? He is not going to improve much from here... Are they just bolstering depth? They must really see something that i'm missing, because i can't see a pathway to best 22 for him. We will never play him over the younger guys who are already stepping up to his level.

No way. Two one way runners in the same team?
The more i think about it the less impressed i am by this trade. If he was two years younger i would totally get it but at 25 how realistic are they being? He is not going to improve much from here... Are they just bolstering depth? They must really see something that i'm missing, because i can't see a pathway to best 22 for him. We will never play him over the younger guys who are already stepping up to his level.
His pathway is simple. Become a better two way runner (which, given our interest in him, has probably improved given our additions since Woosha took over) and he's best 22. A 6'3 wing with a great kick and gets the ball 20 times a game? Yes please

We will never play him over the younger guys

If anything this would be the opposite of the Essendon thing to do; play a mature limited player over a younger one.

I do however think Cutler has all the physical tools and just needs to run defensively and play within a system to be a solid Best 22 kind of guy.

great kick

Come on Ethan. He's a long kick, don't think anyone has ever accused him of being a great kick. He's not going to do what Tipungwuti can do.

If anything this would be the opposite of the Essendon thing to do; play a mature limited player over a younger one.

I do however think Cutler has all the physical tools and just needs to run defensively and play within a system to be a solid Best 22 kind of guy.

Come on Ethan. He's a long kick, don't think anyone has ever accused him of being a great kick. He's not going to do what Tipungwuti can do.
I'd have him in the top 10 field kicks at the club reasonably comfortably.

I'd have him in the top 10 field kicks at the club reasonably comfortably.

Given the gulf between our best kicks and the rest of the team, being Top 10 isn't a big ask.

Tipungwuti, Fantasia, Merrett, and Redman then daylight I'd say.

Very few of our players are anything above average by foot, they'll hit a short target sure, but we're not replete with guys who can hit a target on the run let alone change the angle of play, which is what you need your outside players to be able to do.

Given the gulf between our best kicks and the rest of the team, being Top 10 isn't a big ask.

Tipungwuti, Fantasia, Merrett, and Redman then daylight I'd say.

Very few of our players are anything above average by foot, they'll hit a short target sure, but we're not replete with guys who can hit a target on the run let alone change the angle of play, which is what you need your outside players to be able to do.
You underrate Stewart and Daniher a lot by field. Langford is also an excellent kick inside 50.

I wouldn't rush in to starting Cuts. I'd be talking with Zaka first to the effect of what needs to be seen from him. Cuts just got here. He should also be made to work for it. No one's a walk up start except Joey, providing he can walk, which I'm doubting because no one has seen him running.

You would think the club must be convinced at least that much will change
From his intro video he didn't sound as though he saw that as part of his role. He sounded like he's intent on running, defending and marking. I hope he's not too nervous to go when it's his turn. Richmond has 22 on the park who aren't afraid to put themselves on the line at every contest. That's the kind of unit I'd like us to be, the non-squibbing kind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back