Last Game Played: Round 13, 2022 (omit)
Injury Status: Should be available to play this weekend - 20/7
Quad strain, "standard" injury, will miss about 4 weeks - 29/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
What's the fact? When Kobe Mutch can get out on the park they're essentially his numbers. He'll be de-listed this year.

You mean the Kobe Mutch who's been mostly injured throughout his time at Essendon, has averaged less disposals, marks, tackles, i50, r50, goals, clearances, metres gained and even contested possessions than Tom Cutler 2020 in possibly the worst season Cutler has played at AFL level?

I mean, yeah I guess they're essentially the same numbers as what Cutler has shown capable of at AFL level.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
You mean the Kobe Mutch who's been mostly injured throughout his time at Essendon, has averaged less disposals, marks, tackles, i50, r50, goals, clearances, metres gained and even contested possessions than Tom Cutler 2020 in possibly the worst season Cutler has played at AFL level?

I mean, yeah I guess they're essentially the same numbers as what Cutler has shown capable of at AFL level.

Mutch averaged 16 disposals a game in the only chain of games he played as a 20 year old. Do you think that was the peak of his game?

Did you ever watch Cutler to be able to form an opinion about whether extrapolating his games for us to the point that he gets more stats would reflect a player you want in the team? Isn't that what's really in issue?

Who knows what his role has been. Mitch Robinson this year has been playing a completely different role which has reduced his numbers because he's been playing a much more defensive game. If you haven't watched Robinson play this year or heard him talk about it he's just having a bad year (on the stat sheet).

Having said that, just because Cutler's role has changed does not make what he has been doing any better than it is. You could given him 20 possessions each game this year and all it would do is add to the frustration of watching him play.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Mutch averaged 16 disposals a game in the only chain of games he played as a 20 year old. Do you think that was the peak of his game?

Did you ever watch Cutler to be able to form an opinion about whether extrapolating his games for us to the point that he gets more stats would reflect a player you want in the team? Isn't that what's really in issue?

Who knows what his role has been. Mitch Robinson this year has been playing a completely different role which has reduced his numbers because he's been playing a much more defensive game. If you haven't watched Robinson play this year or heard him talk about it he's just having a bad year (on the stat sheet).

Having said that, just because Cutler's role has changed does not make what he has been doing any better than it is. You could given him 20 possessions each game this year and all it would do is add to the frustration of watching him play.

As I've said before, Cutler has been a disappointment because he's regressed from his form at Brisbane. The 2018 Cutler (when he last played a full season) would have been quite serviceable as a wingman. Not elite, but much better than what we've had, and better than what he's been for us this year.

So, in reading through this thread, it seem the opinion is that Cutler was indeed recruited to play on a wing; but was expected to work through the middle in the relm of a big bodied mid-fielder after the center bounce was finished.

That's a very Essendon selction and expectation.
Only by thoe who saw his size and didn't know he was an outside player. He was recruited to be a winger, that's all

Something I notice about him, for a big muscular bloke, every time he goes to get the ball he reaches in and snatches at it like he's plucking a baked potato out if a hot fire... No wonder he's always double grabbing, he seems to fearful of taking any body heat whatsoever
Also goes to ground and gets pushed off the ball easier than Walla. Like seriously, what gives?

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Was a decent game today from our resident big bodied midfielder. He has his flaws but I think he's being underutilized. He has a seriously booming kick on him which could easily go 55-60m off a step or two, instead he (or well tell him to) persists with the dinky 15m kicks or sideways handballs.

I'd like to see him play on.

cobra land

All Australian
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Was a decent game today from our resident big bodied midfielder. He has his flaws but I think he's being underutilized. He has a seriously booming kick on him which could easily go 55-60m off a step or two, instead he (or well tell him to) persists with the dinky 15m kicks or sideways handballs.

I'd like to see him play on.
Just not at Essendon ;)

Cup_o_Jobe

All Australian
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
His game against the Dees was the least bad game he's played for us, and he was still a very long-way off AFL standard.

Jan 31, 2012
patterson lakes
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Got a bit of the ball in the first half but he wa far from influential. Probably knew he was playing for his career.

These are the sort of blokes we need to make hard calls on & delist. He’s a weak footballer & someone you can’t depend on when the pressures on.

delist!

Has anybody solved the mystery of whether he’s contracted for next season or not?
This is in the contracted player thread.
At 5.18 he says two seasons. Also comments he was recruited to play wing.

Back