Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Last Game Played: Round 13, 2022 (omit)
Injury Status: Should be available to play this weekend - 20/7
Quad strain, "standard" injury, will miss about 4 weeks - 29/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:
Tom Cutler
Stats: 29 disposals, 10 marks, one tackle

“Tom had a lot of the ball. He probably turned it over a little bit more than he would have liked, so that sort of let him down a little bit in what [was] a pretty tough day for the backline.”

27 touches and broke the game open in the VFL
Tom Cutler
Stats: 27 disposals, three goals, seven marks, one tackle

“Tom had a really good game. He had a purple patch in the third quarter which really broke the game open for us. We kicked six goals in the third quarter and he was involved in a lot of those kicks and set a couple up so he really broke the game open for us. He had a lot of the ball, 27 touches throughout the day. He rebounded from defence and he set us up going forward."

Calf injury, will miss a few weeks, or several.

Midfielder Tom Cutler will miss several weeks of football after suffering a calf injury in Essendon’s VFL loss to Carlton.

The versatile 25-year-old was forced out of Sunday’s game early and subsequent scans have confirmed Cutler will face a stint on the sidelines.

“Unfortunately, he (Tom Cutler) sustained a calf strain,” Murphy said.

“He had an MRI yesterday to confirm that. We’ll see how he settles this week, but he’ll miss a few weeks with that.”

Much the same in the VFL update as well:
Tom Cutler
Stats: Six disposals, one tackle

“‘Cuts’ started well. He was getting plenty of the ball in the first quarter and then he did his calf in the second quarter, so that was disappointing for him. He’s going to miss a few weeks now.”

Yeah I was thinking he'd be the perfect replacement for Cox if he ever needed a rest.

Hope he comes back from this calf injury okay.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Could we reach a situation where we have them both on each wing? I want the idea of Cutler to succeed, but he is incredibly frustrating to watch (despite some good games in the VFL before his injury)

Could we reach a situation where we have them both on each wing? I want the idea of Cutler to succeed, but he is incredibly frustrating to watch (despite some good games in the VFL before his injury)
Nah, probably not. Cutler's probably only ever gonna be depth and might be gone end of this year.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Utility Tom Cutler will be available for VFL or AFL selection after recovering from a calf injury.

The big-bodied 25-year-old took part in a modified practice match at the weekend and showed positive signs in a good amount of game time.

“'Cuts’ has gone through his rehab process from that calf injury,” Murphy said.

“He returned on the weekend through a scratch match - a 12 versus 12 game joined in with Richmond and North Melbourne.

“It was great to see him return and get some minutes in, so he’ll be up for selection and hopefully get a full game in this week.”

35 disposals, 6 marks in the VFL
Tom Cutler
Stats: 35 disposals, six marks

“I thought Tom was one of our better players on the day. I think 30 of his 35 possessions were effective, he made really good decisions with the ball and his skill execution was of a high standard. He played a really good game for us, he ran really hard, got the ball in good spots and he used it really well so I thought it was a good game from Tom.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0 tackles (according to footylive). symptomatic of the way he goes about his footy. Not what we require in the seniors.

0 tackles (according to footylive). symptomatic of the way he goes about his footy. Not what we require in the seniors.

Not sure it’s fair to judge a defender on tackles. Ridley had zero tackles against Melbourne and Heppell only had 1. Defenders aren’t often put in situations where they should tackle because they have the outnumber.

For Cutler it’s all about ball use. If he’s blindly kicking long still he shouldn’t go near the seniors

Not sure it’s fair to judge a defender on tackles. Ridley had zero tackles against Melbourne and Heppell only had 1. Defenders aren’t often put in situations where they should tackle because they have the outnumber.

For Cutler it’s all about ball use. If he’s blindly kicking long still he shouldn’t go near the seniors
Yeah, because no one in the seniors would do that...

Fair point you make.

I think I've let my utter distain for the way he plays his footy cloud my judgement haha.

Interesting to see him in. I assumed he’d see out the year in the VFL and be delisted tbh.

Truck obviously still has some faith and his connection to the playing group seems amazing from afar. Maybe he can get the best out of this guy.

It’s just SO hard to imagine him playing well at AFL level given what we have seen so far.

But 35 is a lot of the footy in anyone’s language. And when the bottom part of our 22 has Guelfi, Cahill, Ham etc hanging around it’s hard to say Cutler doesn’t deserve a chance on current form.

My old coach used to sometimes refer to the Sherrin as the red egg.. maybe Cutler has been listening to his motivational tapes.

Interesting to see him in. I assumed he’d see out the year in the VFL and be delisted tbh.

Truck obviously still has some faith and his connection to the playing group seems amazing from afar. Maybe he can get the best out of this guy.

I think you also need to reward guys who perform in your seconds. Cutler may have a line through him in terms of getting a contract next year but if he’s the best performed player in the seconds there is some integrity in giving him another go imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back