Senior 12. Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

Lace_Out

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
That makes for an interesting topic in that; Why can't a player be trained to get their timing right?
Since day one De Konings timing has been out. Is it not possible to re-wire the brain to better gauge the bounce and what happens thereafter?

De Konings marking isn't such a problem. Have sene him take some absolute beauties in the VFL
He was fatigued imho which contributed to dropped marks.

His ability to get into great positions is very good, you can't teach that.

He's going to be a ripper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

agro

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Nic Naitanui pick 2
Grundy pick 18
Gawn pick 34
Tim English 19

Dekoning is a cracking selection at pick 30
And apart from Natanui we could have picked any of those first, but the point being you can find more than decent ruck talent in the Rookie Draft (if you have decent recruiters) and utilise your Draft picks for the high end mid field talent available before any of the ruck selections you have indicated.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm sure it's been said but we should be following the blueprint of Tim English very closely with the development of De Koning. Very raw but incredibly good signs. He would probably be playing as a 3rd tall / pinch ruckman in our forward line if we didn't have so many key position talls already. Will probably come on beautifully around the time Casboult starts to decline so really nice timing there I feel.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
So I’ve been loving Pitto. But TDK is gonna be something special, his athleticism and hunger are something else.
I hope they keep him in for a few games, he played well tonight and wouldn’t be dropping him for Pitto.

Once he puts on another 5-10kg and starts taking those marks he’s going to be a nightmare

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
This kid is going to be some player.

The fluency of his movement at 203cm, including his kicking action, is what catches the eye. It's his willingness to engage body contact as a ruckman and in marking contests in addition to that natural ability that you should be thrilled with. That's often the hardest part to get right.

Love the Drake

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I went and watched Tom play at Frankston for our reserves in the first year he was at Carlton.

What I liked from day 1 was his willingness to compete. He was a big, skinny kid who was playing against a lot stronger opponenet, but he kept competing. Made a lot of errors and was fatigued by the end of the game, but kept having a crack.

I noticed a huge barrel-chested man with long blonde hair standing behind me casting a keen eye over the game. I soon worked out it was Tom's dad. Looked him up after the game and saw he played 40+ games for the bulldogs. The pedigree is there.

I really enjoyed watching him having a real crack against Nic Nat, having that 15 minutes where he beat Nic Nat hands down.

I thought his game most recently against Sinclair showed how far he has come this year. Absolutely dominated him at the centre square and when the ball hit the ground; loved his follow up work.

Has a great physique for a ruckman; big shoulders and athletic.

Could be our ruckman for the next 10 years if he keeps developing the way he has been.

Top Bottom