#13: Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope so and then doesn't play for them. Imagine the reception he would get at the G if played against us there.
Yep. Faff du Plessis aint heard nothin'.

i think if he does get himself right he would feel that he owes us and want to come back to us. we will likely tell him to nominate another club and take pick 60 for him as we have been burned by him too much now
I don't think Yaz is blameless in the whole affair. I don't blame him for having a mental illness that would be wrong to do that. However I do blame Yaz for
telling the club he wanted to play for us and not revealing the extent of his issues. The recruiting staff also seem to be blinkered and pretty clueless about his health issues. Seems many others knew about this.

I can understand Balmey defending the decision as he likes to keep the club unified and deflect criticism and unwanted distractions. However the reality is our recruiters were culpable and to some extent Yaz was also. We burnt pick 36 (Tom Cole) or could have been Matthieson, Bonner, Tucker or Balic plus pick 27 this year in a stronger draft. Plus we also are player short next season.

Of course in hindsight it is easy to make criticisms about poor decisions. It's not the decision that is the issue, it is the lack of due diligence that is.

Last edited:

I have no problem with people being hardcore either way on the Yarran trade. If it had paid off, he would have filled a need and bring much needed class and pace. As it didn't, we've used 2 reasonable picks and some cap space for zilch. Either way, it's bloody annoying for us and very sad for Yarran. I hope he gets what he needs.

Two things bug me.
One is people not understanding the word risk. There were no guaranteed results, so people didn't 'know' anything. People had opinions about the risk and on this occasion the optimists were wrong and the pessimists (cue I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist) were right.
Argue about the nature and cost of the risk? Absolutely.
Arguing that it was always going to fail means that you are too stupid to know what risk means.

Secondly, the 'oh only at Richmond, sack everyone' squealing. Clubs take these risks all the time and they often don't work out. Geelong, North and Freo have all had to suck it up in recent years. West Coast took a risk on selecting Judd despite his injuries and it worked out, others never got a run at it.
And Hawthorn just spent big on a player who hasn't played for two years and may never play as well as he did in his first year if he ever gets on the park.
Risks are an inherent part of the system and every club takes them at the draft and trade table.

I have no problem with people being hardcore either way on the Yarran trade. If it had paid off, he would have filled a need and bring much needed class and pace. As it didn't, we've used 2 reasonable picks and some cap space for zilch. Either way, it's bloody annoying for us and very sad for Yarran. I hope he gets what he needs.

Two things bug me.
One is people not understanding the word risk. There were no guaranteed results, so people didn't 'know' anything. People had opinions about the risk and on this occasion the optimists were wrong and the pessimists (cue I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist) were right.
Argue about the nature and cost of the risk? Absolutely.
Arguing that it was always going to fail means that you are too stupid to know what risk means.

Secondly, the 'oh only at Richmond, sack everyone' squealing. Clubs take these risks all the time and they often don't work out. Geelong, North and Freo have all had to suck it up in recent years. West Coast took a risk on selecting Judd despite his injuries and it worked out, others never got a run at it.
And Hawthorn just spent big on a player who hasn't played for two years and may never play as well as he did in his first year if he ever gets on the park.
Risks are an inherent part of the system and every club takes them at the draft and trade table.
That assuming the club had full knowledge of the risks...

I don't think Yaz is blameless in the whole affair. I don't blame for having a mental illness that would be wrong to do that. However I do blame Yaz for
telling the club he wanted to play for us and not revealing the extent of his issues.
The recruiting staff also seem to be blinkered and pretty clueless about his health issues. Seems many others knew about this.

I can understand Balmey defending the decision as he likes to keep the club unified and deflect criticism and unwanted distractions. However the reality is our recruiters were culpable and to some extent Yaz was also. We burnt pick 36 (Tom Cole) or could have been Matthieson, Bonner, Tucker or Balic plus pick 27 this year in a stronger draft. Plus we also are player short next season.

Of course in hindsight it is easy to make criticisms about poor decisions. It's not the decision that is the issue, it is the lack of due diligence that is.

How do we know that his issues were this bad at Carlton? From what I heard he was fine when he first got to us (apart from his foot injury), and then things got out f contrl towards the backend of last year?

There's no way to know if Yarran's issues were this bad at Carlton, or if they got worse as a RFC player.

How do we know that his issues were this bad at Carlton? From what I heard he was fine when he first got to us (apart from his foot injury), and then things got out f contrl towards the backend of last year?

There's no way to know if Yarran's issues were this bad at Carlton, or if they got worse as a RFC player.
i think
it is mostly to do with the ex girlfriend and the breakup

Eddie Betts commented about the problems he had at Carlton while he was there. Eddie was a real mentor to him and apparently the depression got worse after Eddie left. Hardly played a game for Carlton in his last season.

Eddie Betts commented about the problems he had at Carlton while he was there. Eddie was a real mentor to him and apparently the depression got worse after Eddie left. Hardly played a game for Carlton in his last season.
We need to get Eddie to Punt Rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StKilda risky recruiting Jake Carlisle, & Dogs with Crameri given what was happening at windy hill. I don't know if the AFL secretly paid out compo to any clubs involved with ex EFC players.

I thought we were being risky recruiting Prestia but I can't believe how hard clubs went for O'Meara. He has got train wreck written all over him. These days contracts aren't what they once were.

Did ol' mate FAP get booed when he made 100?
Apparantely. Standard stuff at Adelaide Oval though.
faf was having a sook about it.

Apparantely. Standard stuff at Adelaide Oval though.
faf was having a sook about it.

amo hour

remember in the 80's Ian Healy used to get booed just walking on the ground at the WACA, all because he wasn't Tim Zoeher

it would be like us booing Maric because he replaced Gus

amo hour

remember in the 80's Ian Healy used to get booed just walking on the ground at the WACA, all because he wasn't Tim Zoeher

it would be like us booing Maric because he replaced Gus
I guess Faf has never been booed at the Bullring in Jo'burg like every opposition player has either.

All anyone needed to do was watch the last 6 odd games he played at Carlton and if anyone couldn't see there was "risks" then they are an idiot.
Just coz lazy journos and BF posters could see it and read about it, doesn't mean that full time staff making the decision could.

All anyone needed to do was watch the last 6 odd games he played at Carlton and if anyone couldn't see there was "risks" then they are an idiot.

Decent left hook though. Chappy was going to try his "hard man" jumper punch and yaz dropped him like sack of spuds

Although enjoyable to watch it was a bit loose

Decent left hook though. Chappy was going to try his "hard man" jumper punch and yaz dropped him like sack of spuds

Although enjoyable to watch it was a bit loose
What it did show is that if the faux tough guy Chapman played in the 70's and 80's he would have simple been know as another run of the mill forward pocket who skirted the packs.

if he wants to come back into the game in 2018 he wont be delisted

he'll get himself right and be at Richmond in 2018 or the WA teams will trade for him

Don't bank on that one brother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back