Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

qarocks

Club Legend
Apr 28, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I couldn't believe this when I saw it. The guy is 21!

How will his shoulders be when he is 31, let alone 61.

Maybe I am getting old (im 33), but jeez, pretty brutal for a 21 yo kid.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Actually makes alot of sense, kid hardly marked it above his head this year despite being played forward. I wonder if this is gonna be the next step to making him more Judd like

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
It's easier to just say 'I don't watch this team' as opposed to taking a guess
Actually feel like you’re the one who doesn’t watch the Giants. He cannot go forward. And Clarry a far better accumulator. The only thing Ward has on him is he kicks it more and that’s a classic 70 year old grandma comment.

He’s a great leader off the field for the giants and he’s incredibly courageous. But that guy isn’t a top 10 midfielder. The fact that he’s the best inside midfielder at the Giants is so damning on their midfield. It’s got some fancy names so people assume it’s elite. Giants midfield group right now wouldn’t even be top 5. Cal’s still who they rely on when they need to get it done, and thats why that team, along with Cameron’s love fest for Patton/Lobb/Cameron/Mumford or Simpson in one side hasn’t gotten past a prelim final.

Given our team’s success I shouldn’t be using their lack of premierships against Cal, but that teams ceiling is how good Kelly can become inside. Cal is just a taller and therefore stronger Nate Jones really; you’re not going to get over the hump with him as your best inside mid. Actually tell me one thing he can do that Cunnington cannot. Maybe you can say the same about Clarry right now based off the west coast game, but right now he’s still a better option as a forward and hes a better accumulator. If not already he will be on another level to Ward very very soon.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Actually feel like you’re the one who doesn’t watch the Giants. He cannot go forward. And Clarry a far better accumulator. The only thing Ward has on him is he kicks it more and that’s a classic 70 year old grandma comment.

He’s a great leader off the field for the giants and he’s incredibly courageous. But that guy isn’t a top 10 midfielder. The fact that he’s the best inside midfielder at the Giants is so damning on their midfield. It’s got some fancy names so people assume it’s elite. Giants midfield group right now wouldn’t even be top 5. Cal’s still who they rely on when they need to get it done, and thats why that team, along with Cameron’s love fest for Patton/Lobb/Cameron/Mumford or Simpson in one side hasn’t gotten past a prelim final.

Given our team’s success I shouldn’t be using their lack of premierships against Cal, but that teams ceiling is how good Kelly can become inside. Cal is just a taller and therefore stronger Nate Jones really; you’re not going to get over the hump with him as your best inside mid. Actually tell me one thing he can do that Cunnington cannot. Maybe you can say the same about Clarry right now based off the west coast game, but right now he’s still a better option as a forward and hes a better accumulator. If not already he will be on another level to Ward very very soon.

27 disposal average for Ward and 29 for Oliver. Oliver will probably get more again Next year but he's isn't a much better accumulator right now.
Kelly's not an inside midfielder, he's an outside bloke who receives it from guys like Ward.

The top tier of midfielders in the league are the blokes like Martin/Danger/Fyfe etc who could essentially play any position on the ground.
Cripps De Goey and Oliver Yeo are the next in line. Then there's a group of mids just below that who are still bloody good players like Sidebottom Selwood Viney Ward Treloar Shuey etc. You don't need to talk them down to pump up the ones above them

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Are there any good examples of young mids robbed in the Brownlow early in their career, only to come back and win it in the years following?

Back