Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Know a guy who worked the drinks on Brownlow night, apparently jones tipped him $100 and Oliver is a flog (Have heard the Oliver thing before).

Not that it bothers me much because as long as he doesn't break the law, piss off his teammates and gets a kick then he can act how he likes.

Know a guy who worked the drinks on Brownlow night, apparently jones tipped him $100 and Oliver is a flog (Have heard the Oliver thing before).

Not that it bothers me much because as long as he doesn't break the law, piss off his teammates and gets a kick then he can act how he likes.
19 year old at a function with free drinks carries on like a flog ... not really breaking news. I'll back him in to mature considerably very fast.

He is a cofident kid, backs himself in its good to have one of those in your side. A mate of mine has come across Matt Boyd a few times (within his circle of friends) said the same thing, he talks himself up and rated himself among the games best during his prime. Didn't stop Boyd from being a very good player or having any obvious frictions with the playing group.

He is a cofident kid, backs himself in its good to have one of those in your side. A mate of mine has come across Matt Boyd a few times (within his circle of friends) said the same thing, he talks himself up and rated himself among the games best during his prime. Didn't stop Boyd from being a very good player or having any obvious frictions with the playing group.
I find that really difficult to picture.

“Hello. I’m Matthew Boyd and I rate myself among the game’s best.”

I thought everyone at the dogs was super nice, other than Stringy obviously?

I find that really difficult to picture.

“Hello. I’m Matthew Boyd and I rate myself among the game’s best.”

I thought everyone at the dogs was super nice, other than Stringy obviously?

It wasn't a one of meeting. Obviously in a group of guys they talk footy, him being an AFL player guys would quiz him on "what is player X like as a bloke?" Do you rate player Y? "Etc.

During the mid to late 2000's He was quite open in the fact he dirty on the fact he wasn't recognised among the the games best mids. He reack up 30 each so would gaz Jnr, but all the love was gaz.

It wasn't a one of meeting. Obviously in a group of guys they talk footy, him being an AFL player guys would quiz him on "what is player X like as a bloke?" Do you rate player Y? "Etc.

During the mid to late 2000's He was quite open in the fact he dirty on the fact he wasn't recognised among the the games best mids. He reack up 30 each so would gaz Jnr, but all the love was gaz.

Matty boyd was a bloody good footballer but he's kidding himself if he thinks he impacted the game as much as Yablett

There's different levels of campaigner. Oliver is not in the same category as Stringer, he's not causing any harm. Leave the kid alone I reckon, he'll grow up.

Also Oliver is not a selfish player, he still hand passes too often when he should be selfish. Stringer on the other hand will go for the glory even if it means burning his team mates.

* just lost some respect for Matty Boyd there, but then again as a mature age recruit who was in fact the best player for the Dogs after West retired, hes within his rights to demand more recognition and more money.

We can't all be class acts like Matty Priddis. Pretty sure Boyd's name was always number one on most underrated lists though by players and coaches alike, number two being Jarrad McVeigh.

**** just lost some respect for Matty Boyd there, but then again as a mature age recruit who was in fact the best player for the Dogs after West retired, hes within his rights to demand more recognition and more money.

We can't all be class acts like Matty Priddis. Pretty sure Boyd's name was always number one on most underrated lists though by players and coaches alike, number two being Jarrad McVeigh.
Ill go one better.
My mum meet Tom Harley at work one day. She said to him 'i know you from somewhere.
His response 'im Tom Harley, 2x premiership captain'.
Im still stunned to this day he made mention of being a two time premiership captain in his first sentence to an old lady

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ill go one better.
My mum meet Tom Harley at work one day. She said to him 'i know you from somewhere.
His response 'im Tom Harley, 2x premiership captain'.
Im still stunned to this day he made mention of being a two time premiership captain in his first sentence to an old lady

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Does your mum work at the 2 x Premiership store?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarry cleaned up last night. What an effort for the young man. Second youngest Dee to win a best and fairest. Listening to Viney talk about him was great to. Sounds like he really put the hard work in so much so that Viney said he couldn't keep up.

Won by a ridiculous amount. Does anybody know the biggest winning margin in MFC B&F history?

IehqSHO.png

Sorry to intrude, but I love watching this kid. Favorite player from Melbourne and probably favorite young gun with Daniher, Cripps and Clug outside the doggies. Absolute contested machine. His like a IRL troll, I find it funny how salty he makes people lol.

You guys have such an amazing 23 and under list. Curious if you guys rate Oliver your most promising? Must be tough with Petracca, Viney, Hogan and Lever. Was having a discussion with a mate who is a Dees fanboy and he reckons Petracca will be the best of the lot, I'd take Oliver though!

Anyway, all the best next season. Can't see how you don't make finals and I personally would have you guys top 4.

Last edited:
Sorry to intrude, but I love watching this kid. Favorite player from Melbourne and probably favorite young gun with Daniher, Cripps and Clug outside the doggies. Absolute contested machine. His like a IRL troll, I find it funny how salty he makes people lol.

You guys have such an amazing 23 and under list. Curious if you guys rate Oliver your most promising? Must be tough with Petracca, Viney, Hogan and Lever. Was having a discussion with a mate who is a Dees fanboy and he reckons Petracca will be the best of the lot, I'd take Oliver though!

Anyway, all the best next season. Can't see how you don't make finals and I personally would have you guys top 4.

We love Clarry. I think Truck has a greater ceiling, but right now all the evidence suggests that Oliver will win a Brownlow. Truck's next 2 years will be fascinating to watch

We love Clarry. I think Truck has a greater ceiling, but right now all the evidence suggests that Oliver will win a Brownlow. Truck's next 2 years will be fascinating to watch

Best part about it is they're both competitors, so they'll be working their arses off to be the best player in the side and be pushing each other right to the pointy end of the elite level.

I think what Petracca has over Oliver is his marking. Both have elite vision in traffic, truck is more of a forward mover like Dusty while Oliver is brilliant at releasing to someone much closer like Mitchell. Obviously not comparing them as players just their traits. Both own the moment and will win you the game in the center but at the moment Petracca is the one who you would be most scared about standing next too in the goal square. I will say though Olivers consistency is unrivaled for a second year player at Melbourne in my life and his ability to handle pressure is unrivaled since Brock McLean tore apart an elimination final.

I think what Petracca has over Oliver is his marking. Both have elite vision in traffic, truck is more of a forward mover like Dusty while Oliver is brilliant at releasing to someone much closer like Mitchell. Obviously not comparing them as players just their traits. Both own the moment and will win you the game in the center but at the moment Petracca is the one who you would be most scared about standing next too in the goal square. I will say though Olivers consistency is unrivaled for a second year player at Melbourne in my life and his ability to handle pressure is unrivaled since Brock McLean tore apart an elimination final.
Clarry isn't a bad mark either, but it's less of an instinct then Trac's grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back