Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be as good as or better than Cripps within two years. More offensive weapons IMO.
I'm seriously seeing the Voss comparisons, and it's not just the hair.

He'll be better than all of them. Petracca, Brayshaw, Tyson, Viney.

I tend to agree he could be the best of the lot of them.

Just love the no fuss, go about his business attitude he exudes too. Not much would phase this kid.

Just wait until next season when he's got more of a tank and is stronger ... It's going to be one of those things that everyone looks back on in bewilderment - How did Clayton Oliver not win the Rising Star?
He's going so under the radar outside of Melbourne. If he was at Collingwood the public masturbation would be furious.

I'm definitely surprised at the lack of fanfare about his recent form, but not complaining. People will realise very quickly how good he is next year onwards.

Probably got a lot to do with the fact that he can go a whole quarter without touching it

Probably got a lot to do with the fact that he can go a whole quarter without touching it
It's hard to touch the ball when you're sitting on the bench. His last 3 games TOG% has been 74%, 66% and 65%, the lowest on the ground each time. The fact he's getting decent midfield numbers from such limited minutes and doing it straight away in his first season would suggest he's a magnet.

It took Viney until year three to regularly get 20+ touches a game and Brayshaw/Petracca have been nowhere near getting those numbers early on (albeit in different positions).

It's hard to touch the ball when you're sitting on the bench. His last 3 games TOG% has been 74%, 66% and 65%, the lowest on the ground each time. The fact he's getting decent midfield numbers from such limited minutes and doing it straight away in his first season would suggest he's a magnet.

It took Viney until year three to regularly get 20+ touches a game and Brayshaw/Petracca have been nowhere near getting those numbers early on (albeit in different positions).

Just pointing out why he doesn't get noticed yet, media analysis is poor at best

Just pointing out why he doesn't get noticed yet, media analysis is poor at best
They're a pack of sheep in the media.
Once you become a media darling the hype and fawning becomes sickening. 2016 I'm of course referring to Dangerfield, Rioli and Bont. Last year it was Stringer.
Patrick Cripps is every bit as good as the Bont but gets less than half the hype?

I had an Essendon supporter attempting to wind me up on the Bay last week with a comment about us taking Oliver over Parish. I got the feeling that he thought that raising that 'blunder' would really burn me. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had an Essendon supporter attempting to wind me up on the Bay last week with a comment about us taking Oliver over Parish. I got the feeling that he thought that raising that 'blunder' would really burn me. :drunk:
Oliver every time for me.

I've had that sense from Essendon supporters. I think they like to think of themselves as canny operators that screw everyone at the drafting table. There is no way I would swap Oliver for Parish.

Oliver's composure with the ball in traffic at his age is really rare, once he builds his tank and his body develops the kid is going to be a gun.

Parish is also going to be a very good player but I feel that we've made the right decision (obviously incredibly biased). Oliver and Viney in the same team is a nice luxury to have.

Oliver will be our most creative handballer, I love his ability to see over the inner circle of players and hit a well weighted handball to a team mate
He's gonna be a level above Tyson and Viney

His hands in general are insane. Always takes the ball cleanly and never fumbles. Is also starting to kick the ball pretty well, still handballs more than kicks but I think the coaching staff have told him he needs to handball a bit less and back his kicking.

It would be easy for someone who doesn't watch him to say he is just benefiting from having a big body already (Like someone like Magner when he came onto the scene), but he has got so much potential it is crazy. When he can play upwards of 80% of a game he will be an absolute freak midfielder.

His hands in general are insane. Always takes the ball cleanly and never fumbles. Is also starting to kick the ball pretty well, still handballs more than kicks but I think the coaching staff have told him he needs to handball a lot more.

Yeah the pace at which he can gather the footy below his knees is phenomenal
I have real confidence he can do what Cripps did last year, next year
He never kicks because he never finds the ball in space, probably been told to conserve his energy for the stoppages because he clearly doesn't have the energy to run around

Oliver has so much composure under pressure in tight, good hands. Hard Mid, loves a contest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back