Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

The midfield group last year (possibly this year too) didn't adjust well to not having the +1 or +2 running in from the back line. Instead of getting a handball to a running from half back Clarry either handballed it to someone in close like Brayshaw who would bomb it or Clarry would bomb it himself.

Hopefully they have adjusted. The one thing i noticed was Trac was forward handballing 15 m into space for a man running into the goals, which none of the previous midfield group has ever done. Probably because Trac never had it drilled to into him to handball backwards to a runner.

This is true and very overlooked (the effect of 6/6/6 with our young midfield group being slow to adapt).

One thing I loved on the weekend was our wings, especially Tomlinson on the fat side holding his width at a stoppage and Trac looking laterally to him with a short kick which completely broke the play open.

None of our midfield really got to train with each other over 2019 pre-season and it showed.

Petracca’s présence in the midfield along with a more explosive Viney will allow Oliver to go to the next level

For sure. Which makes me wonder about Brayshaw’s future. He’s now 4th in line as an inside midfielder but that’s his only natural position.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Brayshaw looks for a new club next year where there’s more midfield opportunities for him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For sure. Which makes me wonder about Brayshaw’s future. He’s now 4th in line as an inside midfielder but that’s his only natural position.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Brayshaw looks for a new club next year where there’s more midfield opportunities for him.

We should trade the * out of him, he's never gonna play his best football at Melbourne

I'd be a bit hesistant trading Brayshaw given Viney's injury issues and the fact Trac has only played a dozen or so games in the midfield.

I still think he can play as an impact centre bounce player and across HBF/HFF. Although, I'd understand if he wants to go to somewhere like Essendon where'd he would be guaranteed games in the centre week in, week out.

Think he would command a first round pick but not sure if we'd be better off with another draft pick if we are coming into our window (hypothetically)

I was chatting to my brother about the exact thing. Gus would have some decent value and it’s something we need to consider.

Oliver’s greatest asset is his hands in close. Probably unmatched across the league. His ability to release a player from a clearance is amazing. Even though he could burst for the stoppage if we are on and players are on the run it’s a big advantage.

You need four starting inside mids or you're suddenly undermanned, especially when one of them spends half his time at full forward for impact. Gus or Harmes, depends on whether Harmes makes it down back. Unfortunately Jones probably won't reach 300 at this stage, not really any spot for him.

Viney’s also the only one of our starting mids to have played more than 100 games. No point booting any of the others off the list just to recruit a zero gamer who probably won’t come good.

You don't need 4 starting inside midfielders.
Salem, Harmes, Vanders, Bennell, Pickett, Jones, Langdon etc could all spend a couple bounces in the middle. The taps not going to all 3 mids at the bounce and all 3 of them shouldn't be winning a clearance together.
One of them could be a defensive stopper, one could be a kicker to capitalize on a pure clearance. Having 3 blokes who are more comfortable facing the ball than facing the goals is way too much and we could find a player that can do what Brayshaw does with a pick in the 50s

You don't need 4 starting inside midfielders.
Salem, Harmes, Vanders, Bennell, Pickett, Jones, Langdon etc could all spend a couple bounces in the middle. The taps not going to all 3 mids at the bounce and all 3 of them shouldn't be winning a clearance together.
One of them could be a defensive stopper, one could be a kicker to capitalize on a pure clearance. Having 3 blokes who are more comfortable facing the ball than facing the goals is way too much and we could find a player that can do what Brayshaw does with a pick in the 50s
Plus there’s big wraps on Sparrow. He’s another inside mid. However has good pace. James Jordon who I could’ve sworn was drafted as an outsider is apparently being trained as another inside mid. Not saying they’re going to come through but you’d think at least one of them do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrating Gus there. He’s a quality mid but won’t be able to dominate regularly with Oliver Viney and Trac in the middle.

Agreed. And there’s nothing stopping us trading for a player, rather than a pick too. Or bundling a pick we get for Gus with something else to get us something we need.

(Imo, as it stands, Gus would net us an early second round pick).

I'm with Topkent. I advocated trading him out last year, and I reckon he'll go with value far lower. Would have loved to be in the hunt for Brad Hill as a straight swap, for example
I think there was quite a few posters for this. As it stands, you'd pick between viney and brayshaw to trade.. viney is just 26, feet are cooked and is predominantly inside only, but he's a heart and soul player, and leaves it all in the field. Personally think he could play as a defensive forward too, but seems they prefer Vandenberg/Melksham etc for that role.

Brayshaw is 24, he's had a good season in the brownlow polling, (not one poster would have tipped him that high, or said he was that good that year until post brownlow result) he's had injury concerns throughout too, and looks uninterested 80% of the time. He's been at his best in only a few big games, but rarely inserts himself to will the team over the line. Not to mention his ball retention skills, and disposal..

Take a top 15-18 pick and ******* run

I think the issue is that we have gone hard at drafting midfielders but we have drafted pure midfielders that can not play in another position, yet we persist with trying to make them into small defenders or forwards

If you had to pick one of Gus or Viney to play as an on-ball, inside mid - and the other was dropped from the team - who would you pick?

I'd take Gus. Overall I think Viney has more memorable "moments" but Gus just sticks in my head as having better overall games when playing that role.

If you had to pick one of Gus or Viney to play as an on-ball, inside mid - and the other was dropped from the team - who would you pick?

I'd take Gus. Overall I think Viney has more memorable "moments" but Gus just sticks in my head as having better overall games when playing that role.
Viney has definitely had the better games

Viney has had more memorable moments but bairly gets on the park. Gus had one good season after not being able to get out either due to concussion

I wouldn't be confident picking either one

Brayshaw is 24, he's had a good season in the brownlow polling, (not one poster would have tipped him that high, or said he was that good that year until post brownlow result) he's had injury concerns throughout too, and looks uninterested 80% of the time.

The uninterested bit infuriates me, bunch of times last year he didn’t look like (Or played like) he gave a stuff and not much has changed two games into 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back