Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

151123_Oliver.jpeg

MFC: Oliver claimed with Melbourne's first pick

I can't help but think about the last Fanta pants that we selected in the first round on the back of a strong second half of the year and a Morrish medal.

That said, it seems like our recruiters are a bit smarter now, so I'll back them in.

Last edited:
That passage of play where he bounced 3 times could be the worst bounces I've ever seen

You're not wrong. Looks like he'd never tried to bounce a sherrin before that! Apart from that, I love his highlights package. Fantastic hands both in the contest and overhead, ferocious in the tackle and looks to use the ball well too. Hoping he can have an injury free pre season so he can put pressure on the guys in the first team.

That passage of play where he bounced 3 times could be the worst bounces I've ever seen
Yeah i thought the same when i saw it. but i'm not going to loose sleep over terrible bounces. if he can kick well and brings some pace, that's aces in my book

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't help but think about the last Fanta pants that we selected in the first round on the back of a strong second half of the year and a Morrish medal.

That said, it seems like our recruiters are a bit smarter now, so I'll back them in.
This reference is more obscure than you think.

Just watched the highlights video ... where was all that in the lead up to the draft?! i would have been far more confident in the decision with some of those clips ... so much to love in there, harder than a cats head, never stops attacking the footy, absolutely smashes blokes, looks quite smart when in tight (although will have significantly less time in the AFL) and one small thing that i really liked, is that the majority of the clips that showed him kick actually followed through to him hitting a target ... always a red flag when they just show him kick it and then cut to the next (i remember thinking that about Freeman for the time we were said to be taking him until Salem took the mantle)

I must admit i had a few flashbacks to Morrish Medalist, Red Head, Melbourne first round pick = Matthew Bate when his name was called.

Jebus, he was rather large earlier in the year at U18's wasnt he? :eek:

Bit of the Sylvia's about him, i like the way he can take a contented grab when he was forward in the highlights.

Bit of a shock TBH, but #intayloritrust :thumbsu:

I'm very impressed with Oliver's highlights, though those bounces were horrific. Also needs to work a bit on his kicking action. It's a little slow and stagnant for my liking.

Last edited:
Looks the goods, but it's a bit weird that his surname and given name are the wrong way around. Freaks me out a bit.
Oi. What's wrong with Clayton as a first name? Wash your mouth out

And everyone talking about those bounces. Did they work? I'd rather a player with a horrible bouncing action that works than a silky bouncing action that looks great but doesn't. Watching those bounces as an MSDS sufferer, I was 100% expecting them to end in Spencer-esque capers, which you would probably expect from more than 1 MFC player (TMac, anyone?) but they didn't. They went straight back into his grasp. All 3...

Those highlights were so much better than the ones i saw predraft. His core strength is leagues better than most in the TAC cup, looks very agile for a big bloke. He walked around some of the players with ease. I love his tackling as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back