Dale Thomas

Jumper No: 13

Height: 184cm

Weight: 80kg

DOB: 21 June 1987

Recruited From: Gippsland

Career Matches: 41

Career Goals: 29

No Magpie of the modern era possibly polarises opposition supporters as much as Dale Thomas . Admired by some , despised by many .
Daisy has the natural gifts to carve a long and succesful career as a Magpie favourite . Thankfully for the Black and White faithfull he also appears to have the work ethic and determination to match .

Flashy , talented , and with a gift for the outrageous his hard running can also be the key to unlocking a win in big games . A trait he has already shown .

Whenever the ball finds it's way into his talented hands the Magpie faithfull know that something is about to happen .

daisywoop0.jpg

Daisy pushing up to best form
AS a kid jumping puddles and kicking impossible goals from the pockets at the old Drouin Oval, Dale Thomas imagined he was Gary Ablett. He wore his No. 5 on the back of his Geelong jumper with pride and passion.

It seems inconceivable that Ablett Sr could be pushed aside as the all-time football champion of Gippsland.

But Thomas, the baby-faced Magpie midfielder from the same neck of the woods, is fast emerging as a genuine September wildcard as Collingwood forge fresh respect as one of the teams of the year.

The roars every time the slightly built utility goes near the ball are as loud and prolonged as for anyone in the game, Matthew Richardson and Chris Judd included.

He's not yet 21, but has already played 50 games.

While some outside the club may rate him only as an exciting soloist, capable in particular of Daicos-type magic near goal, Thomas's long-term value to Collingwood is likely to be as a pepper-and-salt midfielder, as important when he doesn't have the ball as when he does.

The first minutes after half-time yesterday confirmed Collingwood's status as a genuine top-four prospect - and it was the kid with the long flaxen hair who provided much of the inspiration.

Thomas had the first centre clearance and goal of the quarter and, in between, laid a tackle and a block, all in the space of a telling first 90 seconds.

A month back coach Mick Malthouse challenged Thomas to lift his work-rate after a modest first six weeks.

To see Thomas respond with the best football of his life has given Collingwood fresh impetus in the push into the top four.

"We need 'Daisy' (Thomas) and others like Leon (Davis) and Scotty Pendlebury to add flair and dash to our game," captain Scott Burns said.

"The thing about Daisy is that he just doesn't fumble. He hits the ball at top pace and shares it quickly with those around him.

"It's helping to add a lot to our mix. You need the quicker, vibrant types as well as the stronger bodied ones. He's just one giving us a lot more options."

Malthouse believes in the kid and yesterday had him running for a time with the champion Eagle Daniel Kerr, maybe a taste of things to come if the other Gary Ablett needs reining in next time the Pies front Geelong.

Thomas agreed he hadn't found the ball as often as he would have liked in the first six weeks, but he says that can happen when you play a permanent forward flanker role.

"I was doing the same things that I normally do. It just wasn't happening," he said.

"It has been good to get a run on the ball and to really help the boys in the centre square.

"I try to do the hard things. That's where you win the respect of your mates."

President Eddie McGuire said Thomas had been central in the AFL's Goal of the Round most weeks.

"He does the flashy stuff, but few work harder in close, too. He's very important for us," McGuire said.

Sporting a cut lip which required stitches, Thomas said the transformation in the Magpies' fortunes since they were thrashed by Hawthorn had been emphatic but the hard work was just starting.

Teammate "Neon" Leon Davis is another Magpie in rare form and revelling in fresh on-ball responsibilities.

For the past couple of years he has been heavily committed to the training track and now, rather than flashing in and out of play, he is cashing in - producing a career-best consistency which has seen him regularly win some of the important midfield gigs.

Like Thomas, his work around the centre square has been compelling. He, too, had a four-bounce run as the Magpies lifted their rating in exhilarating style.

The inexperienced West Coasters had reduced Collingwood's lead from 43 points to 20 in the second quarter, but their dominance was only passing, the Magpies running rampant in the second half with 15 goals to three to win by three figures.

Paul Medhurst joined the party in the final quarter, kicking four of his five goals for the game as the Magpies careered to their highest score of the season.

Their percentage has jumped almost 20 per cent in just two weeks.

Look out Melbourne.

link

This emoticon reminds me of Dale Thomas
shrk.gif

Just wondering if anyone knew a quote by Dale. Its something about if your not making mistakes your not trying hard enough or you only make mistakes if your pushing yourself
Would have started a seperate thread but I dont think Im allowed to on the Collingwood board and I think this is the best place to ask!

Just wondering if anyone knew a quote by Dale. Its something about if your not making mistakes your not trying hard enough or you only make mistakes if your pushing yourself
Would have started a seperate thread but I dont think Im allowed to on the Collingwood board and I think this is the best place to ask!

Yeah, I remember reading it as "If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough"
Read it on the Adidas website when Dale was doing some promotional thingo.

Yeah, I remember reading it as "If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough"
Read it on the Adidas website when Dale was doing some promotional thingo.
Is this it:

daisyadidasquoteeg8.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flashy, Brilliant, Exciting, Livewire, STAR are all words that describe Dale Thomas. When he is on song and flying for marks over the top of the opposition there is nobody worth watching more in the AFL than Dale Thomas!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back