Player Watch #13: Darcy Tucker

Remove this Banner Ad

North get their Tucker with Darcy confident Roos can rise​

By Peter Ryan

October 8, 2022 — 2.48pm

On Friday morning Darcy Tucker was at North Melbourne, as 10 of his teammates did a training session, days after being traded from Fremantle alongside Dockers teammate Griffin Logue.

On Saturday, he was heading back to where he grew up in Horsham for the first time in years to see family and friends.

Former Fremantle and new North Melbourne player [PLAYERCARD]Darcy Tucker[/PLAYERCARD].

Former Fremantle and new North Melbourne player Darcy Tucker.Credit:North Melbourne FC

The next month will see Darcy and his partner, Ellie, sell their house in Perth, find a rental property in Melbourne for them and their two dogs, move his gear across the Nullarbor, and officially begin the next phase of his career at the Kangaroos.

“All the stars were aligning to make the move at this stage of my career and my life,” Tucker said.

After 108 games at Fremantle, including playing in six consecutive wins in his final six senior games but not being in the team for the finals after being the unused medical sub in round 23, Tucker knew the time was right despite having one year remaining on his contract.

In his words, he was still “working my arse off” to play finals and help the Dockers win that elusive flag, but he knew throughout the season that he had become a back-up player who filled a hole in the seniors while the club waited for the injured player he replaced to return.

Former Docker [PLAYERCARD]Darcy Tucker[/PLAYERCARD] is rapt to join North Melbourne.

Former Docker Darcy Tucker is rapt to join North Melbourne.Credit:Getty Images

When he wasn’t doing that, he was playing good football in the WAFL in his preferred role as a hybrid midfielder who played on instinct.

North Melbourne list manager Brady Rawlings recognised what he might be able to add and began to woo the 25-year-old, who saw the logic in such a move.

“Footy wise, the last couple of years hasn’t gone to plan [or] gone the way I wanted it to. In hindsight, I was just looking for the opportunity to maximise my career and get the most out of my footy and play my best footy,” Tucker said.

“Unfortunately at Freo it was not looking that way, and it was not looking as though they could offer that, so combined with going home to be near family and being close to loved ones that was obviously a huge part of [my decision] as well.”

Even when the allegations levelled at former Hawthorn and new North coach Alastair Clarkson were made, forcing the four-time premiership coach to delay his starting date, Tucker did not demur.

“‘Clarko’ was obviously a huge part [of the attraction] and I really enjoyed my meeting with Clarko and we had a really good connection and the care he showed me was absolutely awesome. I felt like he would really back me in, but that wasn’t the sole reason [for coming].

“All the other reasons I have spoken about, such as going home and looking for an opportunity, was there before I even spoke to Clarko.
“Whatever happens I am still stoked to be part of the Kangas.”

Tucker is a no-fuss footballer who fits the North Melbourne mould. He was happy in Western Australia, although he admits the first two years after he was drafted (at pick No.27 in 2015) and then the COVID period were tough. He hopes the relationships he built during his time there will last well beyond football.
But this season cemented in his mind that he should ply his trade elsewhere, with the added bonus of Logue joining him.

“Hopefully, we can add something on the field but off the field as well and go to the club and try to work our backsides off and bring everyone else along,” Tucker said.

“North have got a young group and a couple of people of their age and experience can only help. We are obviously not going to be the saviours, but we are really looking forward to everyone getting to work.”

It’s fitting in its way, that the last team got their Tucker.

Sounds like he's not going to die wondering, great that he's already met 1/4 of the playing list by going in on Friday.

Strikes me as one of those deals that could either be Boom or Bust, but with the work ethic and focus I'm tipping him to have a good one next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason why opponents burn him, big or small.

He's the most overrated player in our history.
I wouldn’t say he is overrated.

But he hasn’t lived up to the pre draft hype where we thought we potentially had someone be that was going to be a genuine star of the competition.

The one we won’t talk about was projecting to be one of the best in the comp. He absolutely dominated that Semi Final against the Hawks.

I wouldn’t say he is overrated.

But he hasn’t lived up to the pre draft hype where we thought we potentially had someone be that was going to be a genuine star of the competition.

The one we won’t talk about was projecting to LMac ate.

Firrito or be one of the best in the comp. He absolutely dominated that Semi Final against the Hawks

Yeah fine, whatever mate. LMac has done nothing and frankly I don't like him.

His Dad was rubbish also.

Lmac or Firrito going into a battle.

Who do you pick?

Yeah fine, whatever mate. LMac has done nothing and frankly I don't like him.

His Dad was rubbish also.

Lmac or Firrito going into a battle.

Who do you pick?
I would pick Firrito, but that’s no sleight on LMac.

Firrito was a bloody good footballer and extremely underrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back