#13 Isaac Cumming (Pick 20, 2016 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Isaac Cumming

CyGva8xVIAAKf7v.jpg

Height: 183cm
Weight: 72kg
D/O/B: 11/8/1998
Position: Defender

Selection No.20 – Isaac Cumming (matched Sydney's bid)
Adrian Caruso says: "There's not too many players who have elite speed, as well as foot skills, but we think he can add some outside run for us as a half-back or on the wing."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-25/giants-get-their-man-with-big-game-player-taranto

Last edited:
Bio from the Giants website
GIANTS Academy product Isaac Cumming, from Broken Hill, joined the GIANTS with pick 20 of the 2016 NAB AFL Draft. A 183cm, 72kg defender with elite disposal and exciting pace, the rebounding backman also made his NEAFL debut for the GIANTS Reserves in their round 17 win over Swans Reserves. Exceptionally clean with the ball by hand, Cumming ranked in the top ten for the kicking and clean hands tests at the NAB AFL Draft Combine.

From the stats seems very light so will be interesting to see any footage from preseason or how he goes in any preseason games and if he has bulked up a bit. Hope the part about kicking and hand ball skills translates to competitive games

Pocket Profile

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-05-03/pocket-profile-isaac-cumming

Name: Isaac Cumming
Nickname: Cheeseball

Any pre-game superstitions or routines: Black pair of ankle socks under footy socks

Greatest individual effort you have seen on the footy field: Harry Himmelberg keeping his man-bun in for a whole game

A player from another team you would love to play with and why: Mat Garrick because he’s my favourite player

Best rule in footy and why: Play on out of the square without kicking it to yourself

And the worst and why: 20 minute plus time-on quarters

How many games of footy do you watch each weekend: 2

Your favourite TV football show and why: Before the Game

Favourite commentator and why: Kerry O’Keefe

Favourite meal the night before a game: Curry chicken pasta

Which teammate should appear on the next series of The Bachelor: Zach Sproule

Teammate most likely to succeed after football and why: Callan Ward because he won’t have to work after footy

Favourite Netflix series: Q&A

Apple Music or Spotify: Spotify

Do you play Fortnite: Nope

Favourite comedian: Aidan Corr

Favourite animal and why: Sproule Cow

Favourite section of the AFL Record: Hardly seen it because I mainly play in the twos

Your favourite possession: My closed foot Birkenstocks which everyone at the club loves

Best gift you have received: Tim Taranto

If you won Tattslotto, what is the first thing you would buy: Shout the boys coffee

Your favourite holiday destination: Yamba

The most famous person you have met: Heath Shaw

The most famous person you would like to meet: Elyse Knowles

Dream job if you weren’t a footballer: Triple J radio host

Dream place to live in the world: Broken Hill

The funniest/weirdest thing that has happened to you: Woke up with Harry Perryman in my bed after going to sleep alone

What scares you: Scary movies

What is the one talent you wish you had: Being good at footy

I notice this guy is out of contract. I thought he looked good early this year and i am sure would have got more games if he was not injured. How do you guys see him?

With Zac and Heath gone, there's a real opportunity for Cumming.

I don't think it's quite yet a make or break year but it's probably the best chance he'll get. Hope he can get his body right and grab this opportunity with both hands. I think he's got the tools, so I'll be tipping him to do it this year.

After enjoying a breakout season in 2021, Isaac Cumming should be a familiar name for AFL fans, but the defender has flown under the radar up until this point in his career. A smooth mover with silky foot skills, the 23-year-old's play off half-back is often overlooked in a team filled with stars. This was despite finishing last year ahead of Lachie Whitfield and Nick Haynes in the GWS best and fairest count — taking his time to get there with just 38 games since getting drafted at pick 20 in 2016.

The unassuming back-man from Broken Hill has been ranked as an elite in the metres gained statistic this season. Head coach Leon Cameron believed Cumming's "apprenticeship" in his first few years set up him up for a promising future where he could spend up to 15 years at the club.

"His first class work rate is elite for us," he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back