Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest like myself are we expecting to much from this kid first year back from that serious injury he had I reckon judge him next year to be fair.
Yes i agree , I like Higgo but i think he is cooked for this year and seems to be struggling and trying to do too much and its not coming naturally due to his off season woes . Just think too much pressure on the kid and he himself would want to be playing every game so its upto the club to say Jack its no more this year for you so just relax and enjoy your holiday

I was at the game last night, thought he had a slow start (literally looked slow) but worked into it nicely as the game opened up. If Lambert’s fit then he probably replaces him, otherwise persist.
Thanks for the account of his play.

Im not sure Higgo was every overly quick. Or maybe his body shape makes him look slow anyway.

In any case, he appears a second or two off the pace. Maybe more. Definitely the time away from footy hasnt helped.

I know hes a smart footballer, but very slow decision maker this year...
Sorry, maybe not that... but when he takes a mark he dawdles back behind the mark, then all the quick options are gone... so its not hes a poor decision maker or a slow one, hes just not putting himself in the position to make quick, and good decisions...

It seems its either a bomb down the line over the man on the marks head, or direct sideways little lollypop pass or nothing!

I know hes a smart footballer, but very slow decision maker this year...
Sorry, maybe not that... but when he takes a mark he dawdles back behind the mark, then all the quick options are gone... so its not hes a poor decision maker or a slow one, hes just not putting himself in the position to make quick, and good decisions...

It seems its either a bomb down the line over the man on the marks head, or direct sideways little lollypop pass or nothing!
i think he makes very good quick decisions, or else he wouldnt be able to do some of the crazy creative stuff he does. but when its in the stop play situation, he probably stops and thinks too much and takes too long.

long term i see him as a lambert/prestia hybrid. spends some time as a small forward where his instinctive play can create goals, and then other time as an inside mid where its get ball give ball on instinct without too much time to think. i think he has the body shape to be a tough nugget in the prestia mould, not the speedy breakaway like i think people are expecting from him for whatever reason (probably because small forwards are typically slight and quick).

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has spotted/heard about Jack Higgins lately?

I didn't see him at the GF last night and realised I don't think I've heard anything about him since his injury.

Hope he is doing ok!

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has spotted/heard about Jack Higgins lately?

I didn't see him at the GF last night and realised I don't think I've heard anything about him since his injury.

Hope he is doing ok!
Yeah i thought the same. didnt see him on the ground post match either or in the rooms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is too heavy. Needs to go on a summer running regime and strip 5kg's and train next to Kane Lambert, as without the ability to gut run he will struggle. Jack Graham, no great skill set but an animal gut runner.
I think it comes down to what kind of player we want Higgins to be, he was originally drafted as a midfielder. If the club plan playing him as an inside midfielder I don’t think there’s any issues with his current size/build.

However if the club want to persist with him playing him as a small forward, I would agree with your post.

Something that hasn’t really ever been mentioned with Higgins is his ability to play as an outside midfielder. I believe outside midfield and playing on a wing could be a potential way and position for him to work his way into the side. I honestly believe we have a really good player on our hands and he’d be playing regularly at almost any other club but I just don’t think playing small forward is right for him or provides him with the opportunity to force his way into the best twenty two.

I think it comes down to what kind of player we want Higgins to be, he was originally drafted as a midfielder. If the club plan playing him as an inside midfielder I don’t think there’s any issues with his current size/build.

However if the club want to persist with him playing him as a small forward, I would agree with your post.

Something that hasn’t really ever been mentioned with Higgins is his ability to play as an outside midfielder. I believe outside midfield and playing on a wing could be a potential way and position for him to work his way into the side. I honestly believe we have a really good player on our hands and he’d be playing regularly at almost any other club but I just don’t think playing small forward is right for him or provides him with the opportunity to force his way into the best twenty two.
That's a rosy analysis. Higgins kicked tons of goals in the TAC. Was obviously good enough to go through the middle, but even if they want him to play midfield, still needs to drop weight as he is still too heavy to do the gut running. I mentioned Graham because he is a similar weight/build. It has taken him most of the season to cement his spot in the side which is due primarily due to his running capacity. To run the wing Higgins would have to drop even more weight. If Caddy can't get a game on the wing after last season, how could Higgins because he is nowhere near as good as Caddy, nor as good a runner. Graham couldn't even run the wing.

That's a rosy analysis. Higgins kicked tons of goals in the TAC. Was obviously good enough to go through the middle, but even if they want him to play midfield, still needs to drop weight as he is still too heavy to do the gut running. I mentioned Graham because he is a similar weight/build. It has taken him most of the season to cement his spot in the side which is due primarily due to his running capacity. To run the wing Higgins would have to drop even more weight. If Caddy can't get a game on the wing after last season, how could Higgins because he is nowhere near as good as Caddy, nor as good a runner. Graham couldn't even run the wing.
Jack has always trained to be a gut runner, never over quick , but could run all day . Remember he is coming back from something that might have taken his life. Sorry to intrude , haven't been on here for a while , but i had to defend him.

Jack has always trained to be a gut runner, never over quick , but could run all day . Remember he is coming back from something that might have taken his life. Sorry to intrude , haven't been on here for a while , but i had to defend him.
I'm not attacking him, just stating what I think he needs to do to get back in the side. No doubt in junior football what you are saying was the case. He quit school to train, so compared to most junior footballers he was miles in front come draft time. Running midfield in TAC is no big deal, but AFL footballers are nearly all endurance beasts. That is why they say it takes years to get the tank up to speed. That is why I said he should strap himself to Lambert over summer. Doing that will strip the kg's off. He has talent. Love his hands and brain, and I understand that this year was a bonus. Would love to see him become a good Prestia type mid who can also rest forward. But we have a few of them coming through as well, so maybe it is Lamberts spot he should be gunning for. All the more reason to train next to him.

Fair play mate you we're always on to him and filling us on him as a player haven't been here for a while buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back