Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

They were talking this kid up on the radio yesterday as a stand out top 10 pick. The most professional kid anyone had seen. The only knock was his height.
Hahaha we just won the flag with a heap of guys his size. Gooooo Tigers!!

I'd imagine Sam Lloyd will find it difficult to get back into the side.

Jigga may not have the pace of the others but might be a better footballer overall. Both Butler and Castagna have been prone to getting lost in decision making. Remember Butler in the third qtr of the GF gets the ball at half back, takes off with his speed and then runs into a dead end as he chooses to bounce the ball right infront of the closing opposition, gets tackled and turns out over?

George has shown throughout the season that he has a very good ability to get first bite at a mark uncontested but he usually drops it. He finds ways to put himself into great position though some of the marks he goes for are red hot and not easy to take one grab. If he could hold them his place in the side would be very hard to dislodge.

Great period of intra club competition coming up with enough quality guys vying for positions.

You guys got a real gem here, he's never been injured by the way.

Not that Richmond is a bad club to be at but his reaction was more so stoked he finally got drafted which is fantastic this boy legit wants to get the most out of himself and he will.

He will play round one, his disposal and decision making will make Richmond look even better, he will show up some players at training too.

If you can stand the guy interviewing give it a watch you will learn a lot about Jack, this video alone sold me.

Woody needs to lay off the Coke

Excuse my ignorance but after winning the flag I've no idea about this years draft to be honest. I haven't been sober for almost 2 months but I did read he was a top 10 for talent but size would see him slide. Tigers going for best available? Jack's interview after getting picked was heartening and he sure seems happy to be a Tiger. Does he support Richmond?

Firmly of the belief your first pick should always be best available drafting for needs can be done later and avoids vickery situations.

According to the video his best beep was 15.3 and sub 3 sec for 20m. That nice combination of speed & endurance will see him contest all over the ground often. Very exciting.....

I really wanted to watch it but 3.38 in and I’m yelling “SHUT THE **** UP!!” at the screen too many times and had to bail.
That was unbearable.
I watched a little bit further in but it became too much. Would have been better to have an interviewer that wasn't an ice addict and let Jack talk occasionally. :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder the kid is bloody happy. Some had him going as high as 5 so he probably thought he would go to bottom 6 team.

Gun player but he slides down the draft cause he is a bit shorter than others and gets rewarded by going to the Premiers!

Add this to our list of things we won in 2017

Hahaha we just won the flag with a heap of guys his size. Gooooo Tigers!!

I'd imagine Sam Lloyd will find it difficult to get back into the side.

Jigga may not have the pace of the others but might be a better footballer overall. Both Butler and Castagna have been prone to getting lost in decision making. Remember Butler in the third qtr of the GF gets the ball at half back, takes off with his speed and then runs into a dead end as he chooses to bounce the ball right infront of the closing opposition, gets tackled and turns out over?

George has shown throughout the season that he has a very good ability to get first bite at a mark uncontested but he usually drops it. He finds ways to put himself into great position though some of the marks he goes for are red hot and not easy to take one grab. If he could hold them his place in the side would be very hard to dislodge.

Great period of intra club competition coming up with enough quality guys vying for positions.

At the very least it holds us in very good stead if we have a bad run with injuries to our smalls.

The other reason why I don't like Higgins up forward is that everyone is talking about how sometimes, the small forwards hold up play through making poor decisions or being slow to make them in the first place. But their tackling instincts are spot on and combined with their pace, they act as a fairly tough web of arms to get through. Let Higgins set those guys up and let them be the web that suffocates the opposition's backline, allowing Higgins to sit back, wait for the hack kick and spot up someone. Sure, he can push forward but I'd make him a flanker/midfield combo that pushes forward as opposed to being a player who stays there.

At the very least it holds us in very good stead if we have a bad run with injuries to our smalls.
He won't be depth. Permanent top 10. Look at others as depth.

There aren’t many I’ve ever seen quicker upstairs than George... it’s just that he’s thinking 5 things at the same time and it doesn’t occur to him until he gets it haha.
Knowing where to be and what to do next and then where to be after that quite naturally and calmly is the hallmark of the really good players and what Higgins has as you say, and why those 20m sprint things only tell you a limited amount.

I love George. His knockers should go through our games and see how many times he is in the chain leading to one of our goals in addition to the ones he kicks himself. He has things he can improve on which is a positive I think.

In saying that, we have to keep improving our team so the pressure will be on him with so many fighting for a spot in 2018.

Life is grand at Tigerland.

Don’t worry about that bullshit.
It’s how quick they are upstairs that makes and breaks them unless they are snail slow which none of them are.

That's a great point. Can dish the ball off in traffic pretty quickly to a running teammate.

There aren’t many I’ve ever seen quicker upstairs than George... it’s just that he’s thinking 5 things at the same time and it doesn’t occur to him until he gets it haha.
Knowing where to be and what to do next and then where to be after that quite naturally and calmly is the hallmark of the really good players and what Higgins has as you say, and why those 20m sprint things only tell you a limited amount.
I agree, I've seen Castagna make fairly clear quick decisions where and where to run and tackle. His biggest issue is brain freezes when he's kicking for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back