Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah disagree, thought Juddy was super...had phenomenal breakaway speed, with superb delivery!
Best I've seen outside of Foley...

I'm old enough to have seen Micheal Mitchell. Unreal speed.

From this last year:

View attachment 589447

.....and its just the start of his first full pre season. I'm excited.

588861_a5d7477a1e32a08221114925841cc447.jpg

1273622345753.jpg

What a machine cousins was, would of loved him to make different life choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I remember about cuz was that although he wasn’t a long kick his field kicking was A grade. Higgo just needs to clean up his set shot kicking, his field kicking seems ok. A little composure (not much) wouldn’t hurt either. He’s on the right track, massive fan.

Higgins just needs composure, that will come with experience. Especially his set shots, he rushes them so much.
You can see it in his face when he takes a grab that he has no confidence in his set shot.
That will come with experience and maturity.
If you could choose 1 player from the AFL to mentor Higgins it would be Jack Reiwoldt. He will be great for Higgo.

I'm old enough to have seen Micheal Mitchell. Unreal speed.
im old enough too, i played many times against (kevin mitchell when he was a pup) which is michaels younger brother and kev played a year or 2 at essendon, he was just as quick with that freakish leap and from memory kevin and others in the mitchell clan would play footy on saturday then go ride as paid jockeys on the non tab gallops at geraldton or carnarvon
on the sunday in the early 80s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know about the comparisons to Cousins but dont think Higgins has the tank that Cousins did

Ben cousins would run all day and had a massive work rate on the ground

I reckon his on ground work rate reflected hi off ground work rate.

He had the tank because he smashed himself stupid at every training session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im old enough too, i played many times against (kevin mitchell when he was a pup) which is michaels younger brother and kev played a year or 2 at essendon, he was just as quick with that freakish leap and from memory kevin and others in the mitchell clan would play footy on saturday then go ride as paid jockeys on the non tab gallops at geraldton on the sunday in the early 80s.
Michael Mitchell was a RS footballer. The turnover king. I argued with friends at games about his worth. He could do the spectacular but his overall value was negative. For 4 weeks we took full notice of his possessions versus hitting targets and he had a hit rate of just over 30%. Needless to say my friends came around to the fact he was no good. Speed he had but it was wasted.

Michael Mitchell was a RS footballer. The turnover king. I argued with friends at games about his worth. He could do the spectacular but his overall value was negative. For 4 weeks we took full notice of his possessions versus hitting targets and he had a hit rate of just over 30%. Needless to say my friends came around to the fact he was no good. Speed he had but it was wasted.

Was that before opposition players had used his head a punching bag or before? I reckon early on he was electric, and very skilled. later on he lost so much. Poor bugger, they couldn't catch him so they punched him until he wasn't much chop. I really hated that.

Was that before opposition players had used his head a punching bag or before? I reckon early on he was electric, and very skilled. later on he lost so much. Poor bugger, they couldn't catch him so they punched him until he wasn't much chop. I really hated that.
He retired early from head knocks

Mitchell was only good clear of traffic and he got away with it for the first couple of years. As soon as he was under pressure he'd s**t bricks and dispose anyway he could. Would not get a game now. Sick of hearing people make out he was something special. His only claim to fame was a couple of very good marks and his goal of the year run. A dud footballer.

Im 53 years old and remember MM playing

Whilst he did do the spectacular things and was electric and look sensational running at top speed

I just remember he got very little of the ball and was never really damaging and was extremely light that his tackling / defensive game was nothing to note.

Mitchell was only good clear of traffic and he got away with it for the first couple of years. As soon as he was under pressure he'd s**t bricks and dispose anyway he could. Would not get a game now. Sick of hearing people make out he was something special. His only claim to fame was a couple of very good marks and his goal of the year run. A dud footballer.

Don't ruin my memories of an exciting Tiger in a dark period of our history. :'(

His highlights were awesome, but he was never elite.

Don't ruin my memories of an exciting Tiger in a dark period of our history. :'(

His highlights were awesome, but he was never elite.
Arguably with today's umpiring and elimination of cheap head shots, MM may just have blossomed into elite...

Last edited:
Oh yeah.

On Jack Higgins … he looks awesome. Just a kid, but built like fully grown man. Reckon he might step it up a bit this year too. Not sure why but I reckon the 2nd year blues might pass him by. Just the sort of guy he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back