Player Watch #13: Jack Higgins

Remove this Banner Ad

If he was another 10 cm taller he would have been drafted top 5 in his draft year.

I'm glad he's not 10cm taller anyway. Short height can be an advantage at AFL level as long as you can play a bit. You can see Higgo uses his size to his advantage a lot in contests, doing uncanny things, good disposal, good tackler.

Wonder if he could be the next Robbie Gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good comparison. Robbie seems bigger than Jack however. I always liked the Dayne Zorko comparison with Higgo. Started as a small forward early days, but turned into an Accumulator when they went into the midfield, but still kept the goal sense.

I’d wouldn’t be surprised if he kicks 15-20 goals this year. By year 4-5 he’d be around the 30-40 from the midfield which would be outstanding, and probably All Australian by then.

Good comparison. Robbie seems bigger than Jack however. I always liked the Dayne Zorko comparison with Higgo. Started as a small forward early days, but turned into an Accumulator when they went into the midfield, but still kept the goal sense.

I’d wouldn’t be surprised if he kicks 15-20 goals this year. By year 4-5 he’d be around the 30-40 from the midfield which would be outstanding, and probably All Australian by then.

Not putting too much pressure on him. But a multiple AA is what I'd see as a pass mark.

Was pushing it up hill along with Dusty in the first half with the rest of the team dragging them down.

That’s the thing about him. A sign of a star player is how they play when most of the team is demoralised. Played well in the first quarter against Melbourne in JLT 1 when we were getting smashed, played well in the first half of JLT 2 against Hawthorn and was solid in the PF against Collingwood last year.

I think he’s and excellent recruit and can become our next star at the level of Cotchin, Dusty etc.

Yeah, I am going that far.

I also see a lot of leadership potential in him could certainly see him as say a vice captain as he matures
Just because his insane work ethic and team first atitude

Yes he is a goose but sometimes you need that in a leader someone who dosent take themselves overly seriously who is also approachable but when it’s time they get to work

Especially if he is in a leadership group with some contrasting personalities that even each other out

A current comparison would be Jack Riewoldt and Rance it was well documented that they both clashed because jack being extremely serious and Rance being more laid back but the combination of the two is a great mix and bring out the best in each other

I also see a lot of leadership potential in him could certainly see him as say a vice captain as he matures
Just because his insane work ethic and team first atitude

Yes he is a goose but sometimes you need that in a leader someone who dosent take themselves overly seriously who is also approachable but when it’s time they get to work

Especially if he is in a leadership group with some contrasting personalities that even each other out

A current comparison would be Jack Riewoldt and Rance it was well documented that they both clashed because jack being extremely serious and Rance being more laid back but the combination of the two is a great mix and bring out the best in each other
You are aware that the captain, perhaps vice captain at times, attend admin meetings and have those types of jobs in their roles. Not sure how Higgo would go with that responsibility. Or how the coaching/admin staff would be with his 'style' of thinking/speaking. Unique character who I think should just let his football ability do the talking. The other talking he does is the funny clowning around which is good to keep things 'fun'. But, my guess, only going on what I've seen, making important decisions, organising things, is not his strong suit.

You are aware that the captain, perhaps vice captain at times, attend admin meetings and have those types of jobs in their roles. Not sure how Higgo would go with that responsibility. Or how the coaching/admin staff would be with his 'style' of thinking/speaking. Unique character who I think should just let his football ability do the talking. The other talking he does is the funny clowning around which is good to keep things 'fun'. But, my guess, only going on what I've seen, making important decisions, organising things, is not his strong suit.

I’m not talking about higgo as we know him today the 19 year old
As he gets older he will mature and grow and I wouldn’t be writing him off just yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not talking about higgo as we know him today the 19 year old
As he gets older he will mature and grow and I wouldn’t be writing him off just yet
I don't think 'maturing' or 'growing' is what I am referring to. But I don't want to disparage the kid too much, and he is young, so who knows what the 28 year old Higgins will be like. As you said, he certainly strives for excellence, and is a very smart footballer, so maybe that will develop the skills necessary to perform those other club duties I was referring to.

1552456850135.png

I don't think 'maturing' or 'growing' is what I am referring to. But I don't want to disparage the kid too much, and he is young, so who knows what the 28 year old Higgins will be like. As you said, he certainly strives for excellence, and is a very smart footballer, so maybe that will develop the skills necessary to perform those other club duties I was referring to.

Yeah, I must admit I am very bullish about his leadership potential

At the very least he is a great player and one of the most exciting young players on our list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back