Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1636691081352.png

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Except that GAJ as the founding captain of the GC was an atrocious leader and captain.

The off-field issues and dysfunctional nature of that club for nearly a decade can be in large part blamed on the standards and level of leadership he provided.

And if the rumours are true, he and his 'religious brethren' were a distinct and separate group to a larger part of the playing group.

Great player, sh*t leader.

Fair bow to draw there, if I read this as you wrote it, GAJ is a poor leader because of his faith.

Anyway, leaving this behind for now, you are likely correct that GAJ is a poor leader which is more likely that he was primarily there for the coin (I mean why else would you). GAJ was the captain and not the leadership group as a whole though, we should ask what happened there (can anyone remember who the leadership group was?)

If I recall, the brethren was GAJ, Hall, and Zac Smith. All 3 have provided quality service and leadership post-GC days. Well, maybe not Zac. Hall has been terrific in our backline.

GAJ also haven't been at GC for some time and they are still awful, how much of this is on the club rather than the captain?

Last edited:
Fair bow to draw there, if I read this as you wrote it, GAJ is a poor leader because of his faith.

Anyway, leaving this behind for now, you are likely correct that GAJ is a poor leader which is more likely that he was primarily there for the coin (I mean why else would you). GAJ was the captain and not the leadership group as a whole though, we should ask what happened there (can anyone remember who the leadership group was?)

If I recall, the brethren was GAJ, Hall, and Zac Smith. All 3 have provided quality service and leadership post-GC days. Well, maybe not Zac. Hall has been terrific in our backline.

GAJ also haven't been at GC for some time and they are still awful, how much of this is on the club rather than the captain?
The Suns problems are mostly due to their location not any particular individual.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Sinister, -tra, -trum means the left side/direction in general, not just left-handedness.

It started to acquire the metaphorical meanings of awkward, wrong, improper as early as Augustan Rome (27BCE - 14CE).
See also gauche.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Suns problems are mostly due to their location not any particular individual.

I met their media manager at a Bux weekend. He initially didn't love GAJ but rolled out some examples where he copped a lot of criticism in the media for stuff the club didn't handle well. Copped it on the chin and just accepted it. Seemed like he did his best in the circumstances. But he wasn't the right choice for them.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, their initial list build was nothing short of disgraceful and left them with a terrible culture. They have then supplemented that initial disaster with ongoing list own goals and prioritising recruiting discards.

If they start winning games they will have plenty of guys lining up to play there. Only now have they some established quality people around the playing group will they make some in roads. But they then be clever and lose greenwood. Their location has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with gross gross mismangement since their inception

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Lyons and Now greenwood in the side makes them way better.
Its horrible player management and being the dumping ground for s**t players for the last 5 years that's hurt them.
Plenty of state league guys who'd make the club better but they keep going for s**t players like rory atkins.
Digging their own grave and it has nothing to do with location, surprisingly I've heard a lot of players say they prefer to go somewhere where they aren't hastled on the street or regularly recognised.

No, their initial list build was nothing short of disgraceful and left them with a terrible culture. They have then supplemented that initial disaster with ongoing list own goals and prioritising recruiting discards.

If they start winning games they will have plenty of guys lining up to play there. Only now have they some established quality people around the playing group will they make some in roads. But they then be clever and lose greenwood. Their location has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with gross gross mismangement since their inception
No sporting team on the Gold Coast has ever had any success. A whole bunch have folded. The place is just to much fun for serious young athletes.

Their list management and coke problems no doubt compound the issue but the Goldy is where sporting teams are shithouse, whatever the sport. The only thing the place is good for is a party.

Lyons and Now greenwood in the side makes them way better.
Its horrible player management and being the dumping ground for sh*t players for the last 5 years that's hurt them.
Plenty of state league guys who'd make the club better but they keep going for sh*t players like rory atkins.
Digging their own grave and it has nothing to do with location, surprisingly I've heard a lot of players say they prefer to go somewhere where they aren't hastled on the street or regularly recognised.
In fact, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure no sporting team from the Gold Coast has ever even made a Grand Final in a major competition, let alone won one.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I had a mate who made a serious bet when the Suns formed that if they won a flag in their first five years he'd change his name to Elizabeth. No sh*t.

Obviously he knew what he was doing.

Swallow at 175 games is hunting down their all time games record and is contracted to the end of 2024.

He may end up beating Trevor Barker, 230 games with out a final.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No sporting team on the Gold Coast has ever had any success. A whole bunch have folded. The place is just to much fun for serious young athletes.

Their list management and coke problems no doubt compound the issue but the Goldy is where sporting teams are shithouse, whatever the sport. The only thing the place is good for is a party.
yep all true but if they had have recruited some players with a strong professional work ethic they wouldnt be in this position. Their culture sucks and the list management and coke problems dont compound the issue, they are the issue.

Back