Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

No, their initial list build was nothing short of disgraceful and left them with a terrible culture. They have then supplemented that initial disaster with ongoing list own goals and prioritising recruiting discards.

If they start winning games they will have plenty of guys lining up to play there. Only now have they some established quality people around the playing group will they make some in roads. But they then be clever and lose greenwood. Their location has nothing to do with it, and everything to do with gross gross mismangement since their inception
They needed a hard arse seasoned coach to begin with, not McKenna. Say what you like about Sheedy, but GWS got that bit of the equation right

Shocking.

The boffins in AFL House need to work out if they are a football club or just a marketing arm.
what they have is a television event in Queensland when Brisbane are playing away, which is the point of the exercise. I think the business gurus call it a 'loss leading investment', and it's working out just fine in that regard

what they have is a television event in Queensland when Brisbane are playing away, which is the point of the exercise. I think the business gurus call it a 'loss leading investment', and it's working out just fine in that regard
I think they're overlooking/underestimating the power of overall brand awareness & the detrimental impact a shithouse one has on their long term viability and market share.

The whole exercise has been the very definition of amateur hour.

Probably a topic for another thread, though.

yep all true but if they had have recruited some players with a strong professional work ethic they wouldnt be in this position. Their culture sucks and the list management and coke problems dont compound the issue, they are the issue.
Yeah they would have been better off with Spitta rather than GAj. And you're right there is more to it than just that.

GWS got Sheedy right but they also got better players from other teams in terms of developing a young side from scratch. Their leadership group have performed well on that front, even Power stuck around as a development coach. And even their out of code recruits... Folau may be a fundy but its probably better to have a self admitted fundy than a known party boy like Hunt in a new side. FOlau is sincere in his beliefs. Insanely so imo but its his life. Its a much better attitude when you're building a footy club from scratch.

But even if they got their s**t together culture wise, they still won't win a flag. Its too cushy on the Gold Coast. You need a bit of mongrel to win a flag, why would you bother with that on the Goldy. Its summer all year round and if you've got money its a tropical paradise full of hot, shallow women who are obsessed with looking good. And more than just mongrel, you need character or integrity to win a flag. The surrounding suburbs are just like the rest of Australia but that strip along the beach, around Surfers and Gold Coast itself is basically a character/integrity free zone. And its a holiday resort for people who play proper footy (any code) in other cities.

1920px-Gold_Coast_skylinesmall.jpg

Its just not real enough. Even in that photo it looks like a mirage.

Last edited:
Yeah they would have been better off with Spitta rather than GAj. And you're right there is more to it than just that.

GWS got Sheedy right but they also got better players from other teams in terms of developing a young side from scratch. Their leadership group have performed well on that front, even Power stuck around as a development coach. And even their out of code recruits... Folau may be a fundy but its probably better to have a self admitted fundy than a known party boy like Hunt in a new side. FOlau is sincere in his beliefs. Insanely so imo but its his life. Its a much better attitude when you're building a footy club from scratch.

But even if they got their sh*t together culture wise, they still won't win a flag. Its too cushy on the Gold Coast. You need a bit of mongrel to win a flag, why would you bother with that on the Goldy. Its summer all year round and if you've got money its a tropical paradise full of hot, shallow women who are obsessed with looking good. And more than just mongrel, you need character or integrity to win a flag. The surrounding suburbs are just like the rest of Australia but that strip along the beach, around Surfers and Gold Coast itself is basically a character/integrity free zone. And its a holiday resort for people who play proper footy (any code) in other cities.

1920px-Gold_Coast_skyline.jpg

Every time Brisbane floods the Goldy is fine.
Plastic floats.

Every time Brisbane floods the Goldy is fine.
Plastic floats.
The first time i saw it I drove in from NSW thru Chillingham and the Numinbah Valley, which is spectacular. The road comes out at Nerang and about halfway along where its really windy (as in not straight) I looked up to the east and it looked like there were a bunch of giant dildos sticking out of the bush on the horizon. I think that is the perfect metaphor for Surfers Paradise - a bunch of giant dildos. The buildings and the people.

I'd feel bad for Polec if he ended up there.

But even if they got their sh*t together culture wise, they still won't win a flag. Its too cushy on the Gold Coast. You need a bit of mongrel to win a flag, why would you bother with that on the Goldy. Its summer all year round and if you've got money its a tropical paradise full of hot, shallow women who are obsessed with looking good. And more than just mongrel, you need character or integrity to win a flag. The surrounding suburbs are just like the rest of Australia but that strip along the beach, around Surfers and Gold Coast itself is basically a character/integrity free zone. And its a holiday resort for people who play proper footy (any code) in other cities.

View attachment 1280853

But wat do you really think?

The first time i saw it I drove in from NSW thru Chillingham and the Numinbah Valley, which is spectacular. The road comes out at Nerang and about halfway along where its really windy (as in not straight) I looked up to the east and it looked like there were a bunch of giant dildos sticking out of the bush on the horizon. I think that is the perfect metaphor for Surfers Paradise - a bunch of giant dildos. The buildings and the people.

Oh, okay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i actually dont mins the southernmost part that actually feels a lot less plastic, miami and burleigh heads. lots of 70s style low rise buildings. and nice surf clubs that locals frequent. surfers, main beach and southport are totally pretentious, nerang and carrara are backwater ghettos.

the miami marketta is a hidden gem, live music of a night and great variety of food stalls.

i actually dont mins the southernmost part that actually feels a lot less plastic, miami and burleigh heads. lots of 70s style low rise buildings. and nice surf clubs that locals frequent. surfers, main beach and southport are totally pretentious, nerang and carrara are backwater ghettos.

the miami marketta is a hidden gem, live music of a night and great variety of food stalls.

Defo. I quite like the Goldy. Would move up there in a heartbeat if I could.

well i think looking back as bally as his bet was he was never going to loses it. why elizibeth fwiw? plenty of womens names he had to choose from.
Honestly it might have been a different name. That was just some random name that came into my head. This was a decade ago.

His kids go for the Suns tho. Their mum's mum takes them to games every now and then. If the Suns kick over 60 points all the kids that go get free burgers at McDonalds. They're all league players and supporters really. proper footy isn't that important to them.

Unless they beat us... :D

well i think looking back as bally as his bet was he was never going to loses it.
I actually had a quick look at this last night. I don't think any AFL team has won a flag within five years of joining the comp. Crows and Eagles were six years. Port took seven. Theoretically the Lions did it but that was different. They came from the merger of two other clubs.

But in the NRL there have been at least two teams, Melbourne and Brisbane, that have won within five years of formation.

So from an AFL pov its a safe bet and from an NRL one maybe not.

Also at the time we'd probably talked about the Gold Coast's lack of sporting success as a location. And i just found a wiki page on their sporting history:

Not counting the Titans and Suns (but including the "Brisbane" Bears) there at least 9 professional sporting sides that have come and gone without a single one making a grand final in their competition. Like I said upthread its a graveyard for sporting teams and its a great thing we never ended up there. Most of the suburbs are just like the rest of the country tho. Its just that strip of vacuous, plastic s**t that really sucks. I quite like Tweed and Coolie, have some mates from there and a few still live there. (These days where I live is considered GC hinterland, tho it never used to be.)

There used to be an awesome band venue there, near Tallebudgera. The Playroom. One of Australia's legendary music spots. It was knocked down to become a car park in 98 or 99. They literally paved one of the few good parts of paradise and put up a parking lot. (I think I saw Jared Polec there one night.)

If they ever re-open the border I might check the Miami market out.

Honestly it might have been a different name. That was just some random name that came into my head. This was a decade ago.

His kids go for the Suns tho. Their mum's mum takes them to games every now and then. If the Suns kick over 60 points all the kids that go get free burgers at McDonalds. They're all league players and supporters really. proper footy isn't that important to them.

Unless they beat us... :D
seems unfair to punish the fans if the team kicks a decent score ?

Would absolutely love for him to turn it around in 2022. Even if it’s at VFL level. Put him on the wing and create some competition for spots.
No doubt he has the tools, its just his application tat is inconsistent. i watched him play some lovely footy for port and was genuinely chuffed when news broke he was coming across.

They needed a hard arse seasoned coach to begin with, not McKenna. Say what you like about Sheedy, but GWS got that bit of the equation right
I think recruiting seasoned senior players albeit in their twilight that were renowned for meticulous preparation and professionalism as opposed to a coke head, wife basher, and the laziest player at brisbane worked. They set standards early with sheedy cracking the whip

Without wanting to dehumanise the guy, Polec's contract constitutes the last millstone from the previous administration.

It's actually hampered their list moves somewhat on this occasion. I bet they'd have liked an extra bite of the draft cherry.

Hopefully he can defy the circumstances and get his career back and up and running with us, literally and figuratively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back