Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

This bloke simply doesn't get enough credit purely because of how much we're paying him supposedly.

His workrate is phenomenal, he can run all day to get from half-forward to full back to provide the bail out and then runs out wide to net a receive.

When he gets close to the boundary on his left, look out. He is lethal to get a good shot on goal.

Polec > gaff.
I had a close look at gaff vs the hawks and he is inept in any sort of contest.
I reckon he’s the type that’s looks like an A grader in a top team but would quickly fall to a B grader in an average team.

We'd be calling for Polec to win the brownlow if he found as much footy as Gaff.

From a physicality point of view by far his worst game from the club. He was like a frightened little boy out there....he was however very stiff with those two consecutive holding the ball decsions

Definitely his worst game for us so far, just got caught so many times, discouraged his way out contests numerous times it was reminiscent of his PA days.

He's upped his physicality so far for us in ebbs and flows and tonight was just a real case of bad habits creeping in, didn't even stay close to his man when the defence was needed.

do our players just not look for him sometimes?

he's great at finding space and providing an outlet. gets burnt often.

I don’t think we’ve used him well this season. He started the season too far outside the contest, now he’s in the middle of it getting caught.

His left peg is a weapon. I’m keen to see how Rhyce plans to use him next year. HBF maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know about Polec

He’s been a touch underwhelming for me since he’s come to us. Is it just me or does every time he gets the pill I think he’s going to get caught for holding the ball (and he does quite a bit)

It feels like he tries to do way too much when gets it. Does some really nice things sometimes though

He was shithouse tonight. He will bounce back, he’s class. Hate to see the panic, indecision and fumbling though - we don’t have a heap of one touch players, he must be one week in week out. That is his job eh.

Putting the whole physicality issue and his performance this week aside for a second....sometimes when I read posts on how underwhelming Polec has been in general terms this season, I feel like I've been watching a different player.

He'll have the odd down game, but he's a class act. And he will only become more valuable when the rest of the team starts to properly coalesce under a new coach and gameplan. Absolutely rapt we've got him.

Either way....

(Heads up - maybe give this vid a miss if you're at all prone to epileptic fits.)

Putting the whole physicality issue and his performance this week aside for a second....sometimes when I read posts on how underwhelming Polec has been in general terms this season, I feel like I've been watching a different player.

He'll have the odd down game, but he's a class act. And he will only become more valuable when the rest of the team starts to properly coalesce under a new coach and gameplan. Absolutely rapt we've got him.

Either way....

(Heads up - maybe give this vid a miss if you're at all prone to epileptic fits.)

Maybe I have made my expectations way too high. I think I want him to be our messiah lol

I don’t think we’ve used him well this season. He started the season too far outside the contest, now he’s in the middle of it getting caught.

His left peg is a weapon. I’m keen to see how Rhyce plans to use him next year. HBF maybe?
We are desperate for an elite user off half back and Polec is the man for the job.

With Atley's pace on one hbf and Polec's precision kicking on the other we will be in much better shape with our back six.

Opposition teams will be forced to tag Polec and that will play into our hands.

Bailey Scott will take Polec's wing position from next year which will allow Polec to go back.

Last edited:
We are desperate for an elite user off half back and Polec is the man for the job.

With Atley's pace on one hbf and Polec's precision kicking on the other we will be in much better shape with our back six.

Opposition teams will be forced to tag Polec and that will play into our hands.

Bailey Scott will take Polec's wing position from next year which will allow Polec to go back.
Has he played back at times already this year? His heatmap already looks a lot like a half-back, but it could conceivably be from wing play pushing into D50 as an outlet:

Has he played back at times already this year? His heatmap already looks a lot like a half-back, but it could conceivably be from wing play pushing into D50 as an outlet:

View attachment 715508

He averaged 2.2 rebounds last year, he is up to 3.0 so far this year, it is up on last year but all of his stats are pretty much up across the board on last year. I think our midfield has been up and down this year, down a lot definitely before Brad was sacked so I guess he had to go back to get more of the ball.

Either way....

Statistically he is doing a lot better than he did last year so we should be fairly happy that we got what we paid for, I think it takes time for players to gel with a new club and I would expect him to work better with the mids next year and beyond.

He is good at what he does and it was what we were after, pretty happy with his inclusion in general. It will probably be better for all parties involved if we don't rely on him too deep in the defensive 50 but could say that about the vast majority of our players.

Statistically he is doing a lot better than he did last year so we should be fairly happy that we got what we paid for, I think it takes time for players to gel with a new club and I would expect him to work better with the mids next year and beyond.

He is good at what he does and it was what we were after, pretty happy with his inclusion in general. It will probably be better for all parties involved if we don't rely on him too deep in the defensive 50 but could say that about the vast majority of our players.

I think we can rely on him in the defensive 50 if he's not in too much traffic.

It'll probably take a while for it to gel with him. I don't think we use outside players as well as we could because we don't play that sort of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back