Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we can rely on him in the defensive 50 if he's not in too much traffic.

It'll probably take a while for it to gel with him. I don't think we use outside players as well as we could because we don't play that sort of footy.

I was having a cheap jab at the dropped uncontested high ball mark then weak followup tackle which resulted in a goal against the Bears. I doubt he would have liked that in review. I don't expect our outside players to be hard but hopefully he doesn't do too many more of those howlers.

With Kelly/Gaff/Martin pulling out of moving to our club I was in the camp that wasn't thrilled about continuing with the trade, not that I think he is a bad player, just that wasn't sold on the direction we were heading, taking free agents at a premium is different to trading for players. I was just concerned about not having enough talent in any particularly age group to be a contender. That being said, I have been happy with Polec and Pittard.

I was having a cheap jab at the dropped uncontested high ball mark then weak followup tackle which resulted in a goal against the Bears. I doubt he would have liked that in review. I don't expect our outside players to be hard but hopefully he doesn't do too many more of those howlers.

With Kelly/Gaff/Martin pulling out of moving to our club I was in the camp that wasn't thrilled about continuing with the trade, not that I think he is a bad player, just that wasn't sold on the direction we were heading, taking free agents at a premium is different to trading for players. I was just concerned about not having enough talent in any particularly age group to be a contender. That being said, I have been happy with Polec and Pittard.
Yeah that didn't look great. I think he just had a howler by his own standards against brisbane

Been a really smart trade given how they have both performed, and he will get better as we try to get the right mix between inside and outside for 2020

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you really think that tho? Aside from the rest of the discussion.

I genuinely don't. I was fairly confident before the year started that we'd play some very good footy and we have, especially since Scott left. I expected us to play finals and really we should be. If we'd played like this all year we'd be a top 4 side. Even with the Freo loss. Okay maybe not with that loss but I can't see us losing against Freo, Hawthorn, Sydney or Port playing the way we have recently and that would have us top 4 or just outside it on percentage now. Waste of a year really.

So in that sense Polec is a good investment for 5 years.

He had a poor game on the weekend but he still makes things happen, gets to spots and makes options our other players can't.

Has he played back at times already this year? His heatmap already looks a lot like a half-back, but it could conceivably be from wing play pushing into D50 as an outlet:

View attachment 715508
Thanks for that - appreciate it. Polec has lined up on the wing at nearly every centre bounce I can recall this year.

I think next year he needs to push back to a legitimate hbf position and control traffic from there.

Do you really think that tho? Aside from the rest of the discussion.

I genuinely don't. I was fairly confident before the year started that we'd play some very good footy and we have, especially since Scott left. I expected us to play finals and really we should be. If we'd played like this all year we'd be a top 4 side. Even with the Freo loss. Okay maybe not with that loss but I can't see us losing against Freo, Hawthorn, Sydney or Port playing the way we have recently and that would have us top 4 or just outside it on percentage now. Waste of a year really.

So in that sense Polec is a good investment for 5 years.

He had a poor game on the weekend but he still makes things happen, gets to spots and makes options our other players can't.

Yeah, I still do. I am more optimistic now that Brad is gone, we may end up with someone worse, who really knows at this point, but I think our inability to clean up the basics shot ourselves in the foot pretty much every year after the first couple where you have to give a new coach a grace period.

Outside of a Bradbury flag like the Dogs, who were pretty average during the H&A season but had an exceptional finals period, you really need a good 5 year period with a fairly stable looking list. There are far too many unknowns, especially when it comes to consistency from younger players.

Looking at our list right now; Thompson is 33, Higgins 31, Goldstein 31, Tarrant 30, Ziebell 28, Daw 28, Cunnington 28, Macmillan turns 28, Jacobs 27, Atley turns 27 and Brown turns 27.

We depend a lot on this group atm or are/would be best 18.

We have seen really good signs from Scott, Thomas, LDU, Walker a while ago, Larkey, Zurhaar, Simpkin, McKay, Ahern, Durdin, EVW but this group is very inexperienced, Simpkin is the only one who has cracked 50 games, most of the others are several seasons off it. Our mid age group of players is pretty much Turner, Dumont, McDonald, Hrovat, Anderson, Garner and Wood. While I have been happy with most of them during the Shaw period, there really isn't much in the way of A grade talent capable of replacing some of our ageing stars.

The question is ultimately how long the older group can keep going and playing great footy and how quickly the young players can lift. We are still in 13th spot on the ladder, despite the improvement, we are likely going to end in the Brad-zone again due to shooting our season in the foot by coming out of the blocks in a coma. Do we have enough A-Grade talent? Can we maintain the intensity which saw us play great footy? We played great footy last year, beat a number of contenders but we didn't play that way this year. Was Brad just too convoluted? Was it all his fault or do our players share a fair bit of the blame for just not going hard enough?

I am hopeful we can do much better next year. We have a fair bit of talent on the books. I have really enjoyed our footy since Shaw took over, but it is tough playing the physical footy like we play it, very tough to maintain it. Collingwood has dropped off because they struggled to maintain it. I am not sure we have enough A-Grade talent, we have some great players in the twilight of their career, we need to get the next generation up a lot quicker, we have to do more than just replace the good players we are losing because we need to do better than hover around the same mark, we need to make inroads on the rest of the competition.

Actually a pretty good game in his role tonight. Set up a few scoring chains. His positioning is something else.

His running patterns is the close to, if not the best in the league. He gets himself in all the right spots and sends the ball when given the space to all the right places, has an elite boot on him.

We're finally putting him to good use, using his position well and not handballing/receiving to him under pressure like we have many times this season.

All you gotta do to get the best out of him is spot him on the outside, let him run into his space hard, and he'll deliver the goods forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not using him enough so I think he needs to be like Higgo and go and get his own ball.
100 percent this statement...he shits me when he has the chance to influence the contest and sits back. He is elite enough to go in hard and or sit out..both often the latter

This applies to his tackling...can when suits him which is annoying.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

He was really good last night basically for the reasons mentioned just above this comment.

Who was chasing him and he just waited till they were in the right spot and angled away with a deft little step? That was a great bit of play.

Who was chasing him and he just waited till they were in the right spot and angled away with a deft little step? That was a great bit of play.

Gunston - I was actually surprised he didn't get pinged for running too far.

I called it early in the year

Polec avoids any contact and as soon as he gets it I get nervous he’s going to get tackled

I defended him at that point but he's gone soft as butter this past few weeks. Unacceptable.

I'd drop him next week to send the message. This kind of thing can be rectified and worked upon.

I defended him at that point but he's gone soft as butter this past few weeks. Unacceptable.

Been watching him closely all year. He sits back waits for the easy take, gets caught out so often and barely goes for a mark.

I understand he is a outside player but I still love the Pittard pick up more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back