Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't think he was that bad. He's never going to be great defensively, he is a luxury player that would thrive outside a good midfield (which we currently don't have).

Apparently this Porsche would improve if we utilised it to sew wheat.

Pulled out/ didn't go when he could have intercepted one of their f50 entries late in the first. Would make interesting viewing if anyone can be bothered finding the clip, on the spot I thought it was one of the worst (non) efforts I've seen from a North player.

This trade is looking like a bit of a mare. No idea why we didn't trade the pick 11 up in the draft and nab someone before the Thomas bid. Ah well.

Jared & Jasper were considered rolled gold trades when we had the midfield up & gunning.

Hold fire for now.

This trade is looking like a bit of a mare. No idea why we didn't trade the pick 11 up in the draft and nab someone before the Thomas bid. Ah well.

It looks particularly bad because the top 7 in that draft is incredible. Imagine if we had of managed to trade up and get Bailey Smith or one of the king twins?

Even if we traded down and ended up with an additional pick. We could’ve ended up with Butters, Hately or Caldwell.

I said it back then and I’ll say it again now, that 2018 draft was stacked and we missed a huge huge opportunity when we traded that pick for Polec.

It looks particularly bad because the top 7 in that draft is incredible. Imagine if we had of managed to trade up and get Bailey Smith or one of the king twins?

Even if we traded down and ended up with an additional pick. We could’ve ended up with Butters, Hately or Caldwell.

I said it back then and I’ll say it again now, that 2018 draft was stacked and we missed a huge huge opportunity when we traded that pick for Polec.
we missed the opportunity to tank.

What killed us that year was finish 9th, we had to drop to many positions in the draft to get TT for unders. fair enough, we were still in the running for finals, and at the end of the year we tried to top up a couple of free agents. But our strategy should’ve changed after missing out on Dusty and Kelly the year before.
the clean out should’ve been deep after boomer left. Instead of chopping and changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a selfish footballer, plays for himself.
Runs 1 way, doesn’t get back in the hole

Doesn’t do the team things

If he plays a winger's role he has to run both ways. No buts. Even offensively, his impact isn't as good as it should be so I wouldn't blame Shaw if he was dropped again.

Countless occasions last night he was spotted trailing his un-marked opponent with the ball betting on our helpless backline to get the ball back. Not good enough.

Also, he very rarely gets his own ball. Why? This reeks of the Scott era of structure around the ball. If your direct opponent knows you're looking for the receive, he's gonna stick to you like glue...bang. Tackled.

If his teammates are struggling to win it, he should just get in there. Show some leadership for such a high profile player.

If he plays a winger's role he has to run both ways. No buts. Even offensively, his impact isn't as good as it should be so I wouldn't blame Shaw if he was dropped again.

Countless occasions last night he was spotted trailing his un-marked opponent with the ball betting on our helpless backline to get the ball back. Not good enough.

Also, he very rarely gets his own ball. Why? This reeks of the Scott era of structure around the ball. If your direct opponent knows you're looking for the receive, he's gonna stick to you like glue...bang. Tackled.

If his teammates are struggling to win it, he should just get in there. Show some leadership for such a high profile player.

16 contested possessions vs Carlton mate.

Plus, I don't think having all of our mids getting sucked into the contest is ideal. Doesn't have to be the same bloke on the outside every time - I get that - but teams get murdered on the outside for that very reason. It was a big problem with the Dees midfield last year for example.

There's no doubt he can play and we need his run...............but his constant/selfishly calling for the footy (even in bad spots), rather than shepherding/blocking his teammate, is infuriating.

I stand corrected. I am more perplexed as to why he was dropped there and then. Interestingly, that was his only 10+ CP game. Last 2 games he had 5 CP each.
Plus, I don't think having all of our mids getting sucked into the contest is ideal. Doesn't have to be the same bloke on the outside every time - I get that - but teams get murdered on the outside for that very reason. It was a big problem with the Dees midfield last year for example.
I understand the risks involved. But, when I used to play local footy, getting a stint in the guts or contests and winning your own ball is a great way to get some confidence back. Teammates usually praise those that do the dirty work. I think his confidence is down a bit.

I understand the risks involved. But, when I used to play local footy, getting a stint in the guts or contests and winning your own ball is a great way to get some confidence back. Teammates usually praise those that do the dirty work. I think his confidence is down a bit.

Completely fair call. I spent my junior days lost on a wing but always played much better in the guts. Less to think about.

He's genuinely really good at fighting over a contested ground ball, and he'll tackle, pull, push, and scrap when it's right there in front of him to be won.

If an opponent with the ball has a meter on him though, they might as well already have a mile half the time. Just as when it's not an immediate contest his positioning and accountability are oft dogshit. It's what is so ******* annoying. He's a really great offensive player, just as good contested player, but his defensive application is laughable. That's him though. I don't think Shaw will succeed in changing him the way he wants. And yeah Polec has plenty of team mates in the middle and forward part of the ground that don't do enough defensive work, but personally it annoys me more with him than most, because he has some good wheels, a decent frame, and can really bloody scrap when he wants.

I don't really like seeing Shaw butting heads with him, but that's where we're at.

EDIT: and his kicking has seemed pretty hot and cold this year. I haven't been impressed overall. But I haven't been impressed with half the players in the 22 on any given week, so whatever I guess.

If he can turn it on offensively, I can forgive his defensive deficiencies. But he isn't doing anything right at the moment.

The opposition clubs that are belting us obviously agree with you because they ALWAYS have blokes on the outside ready to torch us.

Everyone talks about how hard Frog runs. They're not wrong. In 2019 he covered the second most distance per game (14.65km).

But what I find fascinating is that Jared Polec is seen as a bloke who "only runs one way." He came third in 2019 with 14.35km per game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back